This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
semmy1960 Rhodajames johnjoy12 B.korlah
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia UG Nigeria, Yoruba Wikimedians UG, Nigerian Wikimedians for Sustainable Development
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Documenting Nigerian Kings, Queens and Traditional religion on Wikipedia
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Nigeria is home to more than 250 traditional rulers and a wide variety of religious institutions . There are the several other undocumented Kings, Queens and Traditional religion in Nigeria. The knowledge gap amongst these indegenuous traditional and religious institutions in Nigeria is huge on wikipedia. To highlight, there are three major religious institutions in Nigeria; Christian and Muslim, while the indigenous traditional religions are seen as minority and their existence is lacking sufficient knowledge that aids in understanding the basic information on traditional religion and chieftaincy institutions in Nigeria.
During preliminary research, we found out that traditional chiefs are the designated head of traditional religion in Nigeria, at such the challenges we identify are; The huge knowledge gap on Nigerian traditional rulers such as Nigerian Kings and Queens on wikipedia. Lack of sufficient articles, images or data related to traditional religion are not existing on Wikipedia.
In solving these challenges, this project seeks to close the knowledge gap of traditional and religious institutions in Nigeria by organizing a training campaign amongst historians, custodians of traditional rulers historical records and volunteers with knowledge of traditional rulers in Nigeria. This is important to promote inclusivity in minority heritage, culture and traditions as essential components toward achieving sustainable development goals.
See list of important Nigerian Kings and queens we intend to create and edit during the training and editathon. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qpNbClEj2gETH-z8L7SDdoT6TxhAAldnQu-ae4_Q5v0/edit?usp=sharing
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
To make changes to the challenges listed above, we intend to
Create and improve articles and media on indigenous traditional religions, kings and queens in Nigeria. Adding and Improving their media content on Wikicommon
Introduce wikipedia projects to partners and cultural institutions for possible collaboration on training.
For we to achieve our desired changes, We have identified key partners and institutions, one of the institutions we have established communication with are the History and strategic department of the University of Lagos (https://unilag.edu.ng/?page_id=2692 ), history department of the Lagos state university, and the Ifa Heritage Institute, Nigeria (https://ifaheritage.org/), which is the only Higher Education institution in the world that specializes in the study of all aspects of indigenous culture and heritage. We already sourced volunteers and editors who are willing to be trained on wikipedia and its sister projects.
It will be effective as our strategies include organizing meetup and training to people and institutions who are the first respondent to knowledge of traditional chieftaincy and religion in Nigeria.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
To achieve our goals, this are the strategies we intend to pursue
Organize physical training which will involve a 2 day session where we train communities and volunteers on wikipedia and how to contribute to wikipedia and sister projects. We interview first respondents on Kingship and religious matters and collect relevant prints and media about traditional religion and culture in their community. Organize 6 weeks of online training and editathon which will fill the content gap in religious and traditional institute in Nigeria. Create an outreach dashboard to monitor and track the participants` contributions and activities during the training and write-a-thons Create a whatsapp group to mentor and ensure participant are active in adding content to wiki
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
User: Obawinner: Project lead and organizer. An educationist with cognate experience in leading sustainable projects, I have co facilitated various Wiki in-person and online trainings/events. User: semmy1960 - Wikipedia facilitator. A journalist, historian, a certified wikipedia trainer and president of the Nigerian Institute of journalism wikipedia fanclub. User: Ogundele1 - Wikicommon facilitator. An experienced wikipedian who has lead couple of projects with a wide range of experience training participants on how to contribute to Wikipedia including leading a fan Club in Nigeria, trained over 100 participants at the WikiGLAM, Lagos, Nigeria, participant at numbers of Wikipedia events among others User: Rhoda James:- Wikidata facilitator is an experienced Wikimedian, who has participated in various Wikimedia projects (as a facilitator as well as an editor) namely; 1lib1ref, WikiGlam, Wikidata for Novel and Novelist in Nigeria, Wikidata for Libraries and Librarians in Nigeria, Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom Nigeria. User: B.Korlah: Wikipedia facilitator. He is the past President of Wikimedia Fan Club, Lagos state University. Active Wikipedian with experience in organizing projects.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Geography, Other global topics for impact (topics considered to be of global importance), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Documenting the cultural history of several Kings, Queens and religions in Nigeria ensures equal global representation of knowledge on Wikimedia project.
For example, the Queen of England wikipedia page grossed the highest number of views recently, while several article of Kings and Queens in Nigeria are not available on wikipedia.
This Proposal desires to bridge that content gap.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Culture, heritage or GLAM , Diversity
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Digital Access
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The target participants are representatives from different cultural communities and experienced editors from the wikipedia Nigeria usergroup. We are already in contact with the coordinator of a youth based multi cultural organization in the community that will volunteer to communicate our project to the participants.
Before the activities we shall;
Gather volunteers in a whatsapp group, where the facilitators will mentor and educate them on how to create wikipedia accounts and highlight the safe policy of engagement.
After the activities, we shall; maintain continuous sharing of ideas on different platforms that will ensure continuity beyond this project by establishing contact with schools, heritage institutions to encourage a balanced contribution by training a set of new editors who will continue to contribute to open knowledge on wikipedia.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We will adhere to the Wikimedia friendly space policy during the event. The Wikimedia friendly space policy and UCoC will be distributed to participants before the event starts. The event premises will be safe and conducive.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
we have announced this project to Wikipedia User Group Nigeria on her Meta Page,
WhatsApp Group and Facebook Page. I have also informed members of the Wikipedia Yoruba User Group on her WhatsApp group.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Ensure Equity in Decision-making, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Identify Topics for Impact, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
There is a lot to learn from events like this, and for us, especially coming from documenting people of minority subjects on wikipedia. We hope to learn techniques on how new editors were able to adapt and move from new wiki editor to consistent wiki editor within a set time frame. How to effectively improve content gaps on Wikipedia and its sister's projects about traditional institutions in Nigeria.
At the end of this project, we hope to have answered the following questions: What is the best technique used to encourage the editors to participate in this project? Did the program achieve the expected impact anticipated? How many editors will continue to edit Wikimedia projects after the program? What are the best metrics to measure the impact of this project?
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics
|Number of event
|This refers to the number of number of Online and physical session
|Number of edits
|The total number of edits by participants and various projects edited
|Number of Words added
|Number of words added to local contents on Wikipedia
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants
|Number of new participants: 40
Number of experienced participants 20
|Number of editors
|The total number of editors will be 60
we expect 20 out of these editors to be experienced editors
|Number of organizers
|This includes project lead and facilitators for both physical and online training.
|Creating/ improving articles on religions institution, religions leaders, kings in Nigeria, Queens in Nigeria, traditional chiefs in Nigeria
|Total number of images to be added to Commons
|Creating and editing Wikidata items about the subject
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
we will use the outreach dashboard to measure the project metrics
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).