Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Documenting Schools and other public institutions in Kumbungu District, Ghana (ID: 21917765)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
User:seini.coe User:Masterrashad User:Ayisha35
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Yes, I am a member of:
Dallung Wikimedians Community
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Documenting Schools and other public institutions in Kumbungu District, Ghana
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
It is not far-fetched that public institutions in Ghana are not well represented on the internet space, schools and other public institutions in the Kumbungu District are no exception. Knowing the existence of such institutions via the internet, in this case Wikipedia projects, will provide educational NGOs and other stakeholders at glance where they can be located and supported.This proposal seeks to document schools and other public institutions found in the Kumbungu District of northern Ghana. It is a project built on Kumbungu District Communities project (meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Fatawu25/Communities_in_Kumbungu_District,_Ghana) that will contribute to the Kumbungu District being covered properly on Wikimedia projects. The items will be documented on Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Workshops/Trainings: This approach or strategy is used to gain new knowledge and also rekindle what they already know, that is, they refresh their minds on what they already learnt. It is a very effective approach since we will have in attendance experienced editors and those that are fairly new. Ideas are shared among colleagues during workshops and in this way, participants would not only gain new knowledge but also socialize and get to know more about their co-wikimedians.
Editathon: Editathons are usually the quickest approach to use if one wants to complete a task early. It is very participatory and engages participants the more. Participants will be enthused to work more as they see their co-participants doing the same. Again, this approach will allow participants to communicate among themselves and finally addresses issues among themselves that relate to the event.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
Below are the activities that we will go through as part of the approaches or strategy explained above:
One editathon and series of 3 series of trainings will be held to build on the skills of already existing editors and introduce Wikimedia projects to newly recruited editors. These trainings will be held on Saturdays within the month of August 2022.
Participants will be trained on how to contribute to Wikidata and Wikimedia commons.
There will be photo upload session where photos will be uploaded to Wikimedia commons.
Participants will be dispatched to the various schools and public institutions to capture photos that identify the schools. These photos will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons and will also be used to improve their corresponding Wikidata items and Wikipedia articles.
A total number of 137 public educational institutions and 8 public institutions, this sums up to 145 that will be documented on Wikidata and same number of photos be uploaded on to Wikimedia commons.
Here is the link to the institutions we will be working on: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JGsVMVQy7fXA1SIBk3WX9da7KqfRXkx_N_5R5yzHbj0/edit#gid=0
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- This is a hybrid project that will contribute content to Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
User:Fatawu25 - He is an experienced Wikimedian and have led many wikimedia projects. He will lead the training sessions. User:Seini.coe - He will provide general I.T support. User:Ayisha35 - She is responsible for logistics. User:Masterrashad - Co-trainer User:Bash222 - Co-trainer
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Age (regency) , Geography
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
This project will train participants on how to contribute to Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons and will proceed to create Wikidata items for the 145 institutions and upload photos on them onto Wikimedia Commons. This, when done will increase content on Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons. Series of trainings will take place , by this new recruits will gain knowledge and existing ones will refresh or build on their already existing knowledge.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The target participants are volunteers from the Dallung Wikimedians Community. This includes both new and existing editors. Participants will be engaged through the use of the workshops and edithatons. We will continue engagements via the community WhatsApp group.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
Although we have always worked in safer, supportive and equitable environment in our past projects, we will develop a friendly space policy for the community.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
Information of the project will be shared on Dallung Wikimedians Community WhatsApp group. Emails will be sent to invite Wikimedians to support/endorse this project.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
I would like to learn how the project can increase content on Wikidata and contribute photos to Wikimedia commons. I would like to learn how participants will use different ways of adding photos to Wikidata items. I would like to learn how experienced participants will help assist the fairly new ones one-on-one on their individual challenges that may arise after the general workshop training. I would like to learn how the project will overall make Wikipedia and open knowledge better.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Number of events||Total number of events||4|
|Number of participants||Total number of participants that will take part in the project. We expect to have in attendance new recruits.||35|
|Number of new editors recruited||All participants in one way or the other have contributed to Wikimedia projects but we anticipate having new recruited in participation.||5|
|Number of new recruits to create their user accounts.||We anticipate having new recruits attending the event hence user accounts will be created for them.||5|
|Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects||This represents the number of photos from this project used on Wikimedia projects.||100|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Total number of volunteers who will take part in the project. This includes both returning and new participants.||35|
|Number of editors||This includes both returning and new participants.||35|
|Number of organizers||This represents Team members who will be directly involved in implementing this project.||6|
|Wikidata||Total number of Wikidata items created or improved.||145|
|Wikimedia Commons||Total number of photos uploaded on Wikimedia Commons||145|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
I will use the Wikimedia outreach dashboard and some other metrics will be collected manually. I will also use the Glamorous tool to calculate the number of photos from this project that are used on Wikimedia projects.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).