Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Expanding Igala Language Access on Wikipedia and Wikidata:Creating and Engaging a Community of Contributors (ID: 22159696)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Dnshitobu Blessing Benjamin Henry Ojonugwa
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Igala Wikimedia community Igbo Wikimedia user group
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Expanding Igala Language Access on Wikipedia and Wikidata:Creating and Engaging a Community of Contributors
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
The Igala language is spoken by an increasing number of over two million people in Nigeria. However, the world’s biggest encyclopaedia with over 6 million articles written in over 300 languages is yet to include this underrepresented language which implies that there is still a significant gap in knowledge sharing in many languages. Unfortunately, despite the huge progress made in digitizing unrepresented languages, the Igala language has a limited online presence, with only a few resources available on the internet.
The introduction and training of Wikipedia in the Igala language community will help preserve and promote the Igala language and culture. This initiative will also provide an opportunity for us Igala-speaking people to contribute more to knowledge-sharing in the language by creating, improving, and translating articles to Igala wikipedia on the Igala Wikimedia Incubator.
The introduction and training of Wikipedia and Wikidata in the Igala language community will provide a valuable opportunity for knowledge-sharing and preservation of the Igala language and culture. We believe that this project will have a positive impact on the Igala community and contribute to the diversity of content on Wikipedia
Overall, the project will also help recruit and train participants, who will be nurtured into active volunteers and contributors in order to increase our chances of getting our own domain and increase the visibility of Igala on the internet.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
The strategies we will implore will be geared towards achieving the two of the movement strategies: Improve User Experience and invest in Skills and Leadership Development. We will adopt the following strategies to achieve effective results Community outreach: We will reach out to the Igala community through social media platforms, students who can speak and write the language, community leaders, and cultural organisations. This will involve explaining what Wikipedia and Wikidata are and how they can be used to document the Igala language, culture, and history. We will also highlight the importance of preserving indigenous knowledge and how Wikipedia and Wikidata can help achieve this. Training and workshops: To ensure that members of the Igala Wikimedia Community are equipped with the necessary skills to contribute to the Wikipedia incubator and Wikidata, we will organize training and workshops. There will be virtual or in-person workshops which will focus on topics such as how to create and edit Wikipedia articles in the incubator, how to use Wikidata, and how to cite reliable sources. Collaboration and partnerships: We will collaborate with organizations that share the same interests and goals as the Igala Wikimedia Community such as the Igbo Wikimedians user Group to help with technical resources. We will partner with local universities where the Igala language is studied, cultural institutions, and non-profit organizations to increase awareness of the importance of preserving Igala language and culture through Wikipedia and Wikidata. Translation efforts: As part of our outreach efforts, we will translate existing Wikipedia and Wikidata materials into the Igala language to make it more accessible to members of the Igala Wikimedia Community. We will also encourage community members to translate articles from other languages into Igala to increase the representation of the Igala language and culture on Wikipedia.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The following activities will be developed and delivered as part of the project: Organise two (2) times in-person Wikipedia and one (1) time wikidata training and also virtual workshops on creating, improving, and translating articles to Igala wikipedia on the Igala Wikimedia Incubator. https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/igl and creating and improving Wikidata items.
Develop online tutorials and resources to support participants in creating and editing Wikipedia pages and wikidata items.
Establish a mentorship program to provide ongoing support to participants.
Host edit-a-thons to encourage participants to contribute to the Igala Wikipedia and wikidata platform.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
AgnesAbah - Founder of Igala Group and project coordinator. I will be training the participants. Dnshitobu - He is the co-founder of Gurene wikimedia language group community in Ghana, he will be co-training the online events and will also render his technical support Blessing Benjamin - Event communications and liaison officer Henry Ojonugwa - Logistics officer
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Geography, Language, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
This project will reduce the content gap by creating and translating articles on variety of topics, including Biographies of living persons, women, culture, geography and technology into Igala language. Making these articles available in Igala language is also an effort to address and rectify systems of racial bias and inequality, with the ultimate goal of creating a more inclusive and representative future for free knowledge. This initiative aligns with the Wikimedia 2030 movement strategy
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Our target participants are youth from the Igala tribe who can read and write in Igala language. We have an existing WhatsApp and Telegram group where we communicate and share information. Following the proposal's implementation, we want to use the following tactics:
- 1. Newbies would also be added to our existing WhatsApp and Telegram group
- 2. We will actively seek feedback from participant
- 3. Through feedback forms, participant usernames and contact information will be gathered.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We recognize the importance of creating a safe and supportive environment for participants by Adhering strickly to Wikimedia friendly space policy.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
The community members will be engaged about it on the Igala social media platforms WhatsApp and Telegram. I also informed the Igbo Wikimedia User Group on their talkpage
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Improve User Experience, Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
Acquisition of grant making skills since this is my first grant proposal. Effective way of organizing trainings for newbies and experienced Wikimedians. Creation of community awareness about Wikimedia projects. How to recruit and retain volunteers. Effective management of an open community.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Number of participants for two(2) days in person and (1) day on line training||30|
|Number of editors||Number of editors will be thirty (30Number of participants)||30|
|Number of organizers||Number of organizers will be four (4)||4|
|Wikipedia||New articles would be created or improved on the Igala wikipedia in incubator||250|
|Wikidata||New or improved Wikidata items||400|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Programs and Events Dashboard Wikimedia Hashtags
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).