Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Introduction of Wikimedia Projects to Oyo State National Youth Service Corps Members (ID: 21933661)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia User Group Nigeria Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan Wikimedia Hub, Ibadan
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Introduction of Wikimedia Projects to Oyo State National Youth Service Corps Members
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
A proposal to introduce and promote Wikimedia Projects to National Youth Service Corps members serving in Oyo state, Nigeria. A research survey carried out in 2021 by some editors including myself and User: B.Korlah amongst the National Youth Service Corps member showed that not up to 5% of the serving corps members knew that they could edit Wikipedia or even contribute to Wikipedia and her sister's projects. The aim of this project is to promote, empower and train the National Youth Service Corps members serving in Oyo state about Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia, Wikidata, and Wikicommons.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
The National Youth Service Corps is a program set up by the Nigerian government to involve Nigerian graduates in nation-building and the country's development. The program sees young, vibrant fresh graduates posted to different states in the Nation for their compulsory service to the Nation. My promotion plan is to organize Online and Offline promotional campaigns for the Wikimedia Projects for this Corps members. This will be carried out by organizing a two-day physical promotion and training for the graduates stationed in Oyo state, Nigeria to further enlighten them about Wikipedia and its sister's projects and how they can be a part of it, and more importantly how they can collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and disseminate it effectively and globally.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
Creating awareness to the Oyo State corps members before the planning and during the implementation stage upon approval.
Sending out a call for participation to recruit participants.
Creating a WhatsApp group for participants to receive updates about the program.
Taking participants through account creation before the commencement of the training.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes. User: Ogundele1 - Project Lead: I will be in charge of the general coordination of the project, with his experience coordinating and leading a couple of projects and also experience as the president of the Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan, a wide range of experience training participants on how to contribute to Wikipedia including training over 100 participants at the WikiGLAM, Lagos, Nigeria.
User: Bukky658 - she is an experienced project organiser, wikibrarian, Librarian in training, and a fellow of the WikiAFlib Cohort 1. She has participated in series of online contests such as WPWP, WikiSDGs, WikiLoveAfrica, Wiki Activate, WikiSanta, WikiExpedition, etc. She is also the communication expert of Eduwiki collaborators and a certified triainer of the reading Wikipedia in the classroom program.
User: B.Korlah - will be in charge of communication and publicity of the project, he has lead a couple of projects and as the immediate past president of the Wiki Club, Lagos State University (LASU), a wide range of experience training participants on how to edit Wikipedia including training over 50 participants at the WikiFestival Nigeria
User: RukayatAjeigbe - Experienced Wikimedian, with excellent project management skills, organized various successful projects including the popular Nigeria Expedition and Explore Nigeria as an advisor to this project. She will also facilitate training. She recently co-facilitated the Reading Wikipedia in Classroom, Kwara State.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Socioeconomic Status, Sexual Orientation, Topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Open Technology, Diversity
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Disabilities, Linguistic / Language, Socioeconomic status, Digital Access
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Targeted participants are serving corps members in Oyo state, Nigeria.
After the promotion and training, the participants would be onboarded to a WhatsApp and Telegram group where they can continually receive mentorship and monitoring of their progress as they proceed. They will also be added to the Wikimedia Nigeria Mailing list where they can get up-to-date information about happenings within the Nigeria community.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We will adhere strictly to the Wikimedia friendly space policy and UCoC and put in place all necessary measures. We will adhere to the Wikimedia friendly space policy during the event. The Wikimedia friendly space policy and UCoC will be distributed to participants before the event starts. The event premises will be safe and conducive.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
The project will be announced to Wikimedia User Group Nigeria meta page and social media platforms (Facebook, Telegram, Twitter, and WhatsApp) of Wikimedia User Group Nigeria. It will also be shared with the National Youth Service Corps, Oyo state chapter on their WhatsApp General Group.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- I picked leaders to be part of this project for better results. Our team is made up of leaders from Fan clubs in the Nigeria community. I can assure you of better results from this project, for example User; Bukky658 is the President of Wikimedia Fan Club, Kwara State University.
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Identify Topics for Impact, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
This is the total number of quality improvements that would be done during the training on Wikipedia, WikiCommons, and Wikidata. How to effectively improve content gaps on Wikipedia and its sister's projects.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Recruiting new editors||Participants will be new editors and they will be trained by experienced Wikimedia editors in a two day's physical training.||100|
|Quality improvement||The total number of quality improvements that would be done during the training on Wikipedia, WikiCommons, and Wikidata.||255|
|Number of organizers||Total number of organizing team||4|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Number of participants||100|
|Number of editors||4 facilitators are experienced Wikipedia editors, 100 new editors will be recruited.||104|
|Number of organizers||Number of organizers||4|
|Wikipedia||Number of articles to be created or improved||100|
|Wikimedia Commons||Number of images to be uploaded||55|
|Wikidata||Number of Wikidata items to be improved or created||100|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Outreach dashboard Hashtag tool
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).