Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Ionian Wikithon 2023 - Wikimedia pre-hackathon (ID: 22114320)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
President of Wikimedia Community User Group Greece
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Ionian Wikithon 2023 - Wikimedia pre-hackathon
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
This is a satellite event of the main Wikimedia Hackathon 2023. The satellite event will be held in Corfu, Greece. This satellite event will prepare students of the Ionian University and individuals to participate and attend the Wikimedia Hackathon 2023. This is the 2nd iteration of the event that was held last year. The event will help the wikimedia community to strengthen its ties with the Department of Informatics of the Ionian University further and prepare future events.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
The main scope of the Ionian Wikithon in Corfu is to reach out to new developers and turn them into regular contributors as well as to strengthen the community. We welcome developers, humanists and academics to attend. One main topic of our pre-hackathon is to prepare attendees for a data challenge about local history and cultural heritage. Specifically we aim to: recruit new editors inviting them to participate in a local pre-hackathon workshop and the Wikimedia Hackathon 2023 train existing and new editors in a)the Wikimedia Phabricator, b)the SPARQL query language and Wikidata Query Service and c)the PAWS/Jupyter notebooks for Python beginners
An overarching goal is to strengthen the partnership among Wikimedia Foundation and academia. This event co-organized by Wikimedia Foundation / Wikimedia Community Greece, in collaboration with Marios Magioladitis, long standing Wikipedian and president of the Wikimedia Community Greece, and the Networks, Multimedia and Security Systems Laboratory, Dept. of Informatics in collaboration with Dr. Eleni Christopoulou and Dr. Dimitrios Ringas, members of the lab teaching staff of the Department of Informatics, Ionian University.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
We have designed a series of activities before and after the Wikimedia Hackathon 2023. Following we present the program outline; the dates are indicative.
Organizer team and volunteers meetups | 7 May 2023 | 11 May 2023 | 30 May 2023 | 18 June 2023 | Corfu, Greece
The organizer team and volunteers meetups will be held as in-person activities and will give us the opportunity to get to know each other, discuss and share ideas and form a creative team. The organizer team will inform the volunteers about their roles and assign tasks. Organisers have already contacted students of the Department of Informatics, Ionian University in order to support us as volunteers.
Ionian Wikithon - Wikimedia Pre-Hackathon in Corfu | 13 May 2023 | Corfu, Greece
The Ionian Wikithon - Wikimedia Pre-Hackathon event will take place on 13th of May 2023 in Corfu, Greece at the Dept. of Informatics, Ionian University. It is a warm up event linked to Wikimedia Hackathon 2023 and it will be focused on our local community and cultural heritage.
Ionian Wikithon - Wikimedia Hackathon Dissemination | 23 June 2023 | Corfu, Greece
The Ionian Wikithon - Wikimedia Hackathon Dissemination event will take place on 23th of June 2023 in Corfu, Greece at the Dept. of Informatics, Ionian University. It is a dissemination event, where volunteers and participants of the Wikimedia Hachathon 2023 will share knowledge, ideas and experiences from this global event to the local community of the Ionian University.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- Wikimedia Hackathon 2023
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Organizer Team Marios Magioladitis, president of the Wikimedia Community Greece and long standing Wikipedian (user:magioladitis) Dr. Dimitrios Ringas, Lab Teaching Staff, Dept. of Informatics, Ionian University (user:DimitriosRingas) Dr. Eleni Christopoulou, Lab Teaching Staff, Dept. of Informatics, Ionian University (user:Eleni.Christopoulou) Marios Magioladitis is in charge of the success of the event and each member of the organizer team will take the following roles: Marios Magioladitis: Project lead, Communications manager, Social liaison Eleni Christopoulou: Program manager, Volunteer coordinator, Participant manager Dimitrios Ringas: Technical coordinator, Venue logistics coordinator, Sponsors manager
A number of students of the Dept. of Informatics will join as volunteers. All participants, both the organizer team and students, will act as volunteers.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Open Technology
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Our main goal is to develop a permanent collaboration among the Department of Informatics and the community of the Ionian University with the Wikimedia Community and engage students to be active members of this community. We believe that the participants of this event will play a catalytic role and will eventually be our ambassadors for future events.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We translated the WMF Friendly Space Policy for events in Greek last year. We will have an extra session in the first day of the events explaining the Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct. The organisers are familiar with the rules and will always be present in the workshops and the events. We will have also volunteers to support us in this direction.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
Greek Wikipedia main page Wikimedia Community User Group Greece Facebook page Wikimedia Community User Group Greece Official website Marios Magioladitis website Marios Magioladitis social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn) Local media (TV, radio, newspapers) Ionian University Website Facebook Group of Ionian University Department of Informatics (Ionian University) Website Facebook Group of Department of Informatics, Ionian University LinkedIn Ionian University We are targeting mainly the community of Ionian University and especially the students of the Department of Informatics aiming to reach out new developers. We believe that they will benefit of the new skills that they will acquire and we can turn them into regular contributors. Additionally, such events will strengthen the community of the Ionian University and participating students will invite more students to be part of the Wikimedia Community.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
The event will be supported by the Networks, Multimedia and Security Systems Laboratory, Department of Informatics, Ionian University Resources provided fand the Dept. of Informatics, Ionian University. The Dept. of Informatics is located in the building “Aretaios” in the center of the city which is directly accessible using public transportation. The airport and the port are within a 15-minute distance. The department has two computer laboratories and three lecture halls, which can facilitate participants to work on their projects. The Dept. of Informatics is offering us the venue for all events for free. From all the halls participants will have access to the Internet via the local Ethernet 1 Gbps network. The building is wirelessly connected to the central hub of Ionian University. Participants may also have access to network printers if they need to print work or material. The Corfu Tech Lab will provide 10 laptops for students who don't have their own laptop.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Improve User Experience, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
1) What factors motivate students to participate in this event and contribute more actively? 2) How many students had also participated in last year’s event? 3) How many students have been able to identify a Wikimedia project to contribute?
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Motivation||Collecting motivating and discouraging factors for students to participate in this event and contribute more actively.||5|
|Continuity||Percentage of students returning to this year's event||20|
|Developers||We will measure how many students have been able to identify a Wikimedia project to contribute?||5|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||100|
|Number of editors||We will use WMF Labs Outreach Dashboard||40|
|Number of organizers||6|
|Wikidata||WMF Labs Outreach Dashboard||100|
|Wikipedia||WMF Labs Outreach Dashboard||100|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
1) WMF Labs Outreach Dashboard 2) questionnaires
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).