Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Wiki Loves Earth 2023 in Northeastern Nigeria (ID: 22156452)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Wikimedia Fulfulde Community (not recognized affiliate)
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia Fulfulde Community
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wiki Loves Earth 2023 in Northeastern Nigeria
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Wiki Loves Earth photography contests and campaigns have never been organized in the northeastern part of Nigeria. Therefore, this will be the first time the event will take place to cover the region of northeastern Nigeria and will also be the first edition to be organized for members of our community thereby making them feel fully inclusive in the Wikimedia activities and campaigns and also give them the chance to share and showcase their stories through visual photographs. Another reason that give birth to our desire for organizing the Wiki Loves Earth is the fact that the northeastern part of Nigeria is the most least represented region of the country in terms of visual contents. Almost all the existing articles about the protected areas and natures in this region like the Chad Basin National Park, Gashaka Gumti National Park, Ngel Nyaki Forest Reserve, Gujba Forest Reserve, Kashimbila Game Reserve, Hadejia-Nguru wetlands, Dagona Birds Sanctuary, Yaéré Wetlands etc when look up on Wikipedia are without or lacking proper visual contents (photographs and/or videos) to represent them. Therefore, this project is meant to address this existing problems of content gap and lack of proper information by working to increase the number of visual contents of northeastern protected areas and natures for use on various Wikimedia projects.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Following are the major approaches/strategies we will be implementing while carrying out this event:
- Workshop: we will introduce our community members to the Wiki Loves Earth 2023 Contest and train them on how to contribute/participate and also invite professional photographers in the region and introduce them to Wikimedia projects and give them room to participate in the contest.
- Photo hunts: we will embark on a photo walks taking and gathering random pictures of about 200-250 different unrepeated, quality images realated to protected areas and natures.
- Training sessions: another training will be held before the participants start uploading the media files to ensure accuracy and meeting of the requirements and to avoid having many problems with the uploaded files.
- Upload sessions: most experience editors from the community will lead and guide the rest of the participants especially the newly recruited ones during the upload sessions.
- Tracking Tools: we will use outreach dashboard, GLAM and ptools to track participants' contributions and also provide one on one support for them.
- Prizes: we will consider giving out prizes at the local level to the top 5 contributors as incentives to motivate them at the end of the contest.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
We will embark on a photo hunt during the months of July and August to provide photographs along with other Wiki Loves Earth contests. We will then select the best photographs and submit them to the international contest. We will also have a minor additional activities that will improve Wikipedia contents by adding the photographs to the relevant articles.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Wiki Loves Earth
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes, Musaddam Idriss will be the project coordinator and will lead all the activities related to the project. Ibrahim442 co-organizer and will help to mobilize young people around the project and in organizing the planned activities. Harandee will serve the role of communications and outreach in this project, she will be responsible for notifying the security agencies to ensure a successful conduct of the activities. Three other experienced/expert photographers will also be invited join us by forming the team of juries when judging the images at the local level.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Geography, Other global topics for impact (topics considered to be of global importance)
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Climate Change and sustainability
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Gender Identity, Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Age
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
This contest is open to all Wikimedia Fulfulde Community members and everyone outside the community regardless of their status and/or background. All photography lovers who have images to share related to national parks, protected areas, or marine parks of northeastern region of Nigeria are welcome to join the contest.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We will make an effort to notify the security agents of the related places where the event will cover and also put into account the Wikimedia Foundation's universal code of conduct policy.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
We shared the proposal with the community members in our WhatsApp Group.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
1. We recently learned how impactful our Wiki Loves Africa campaign project was to our community members. We therefore, hope to learn if we can continue to keep such tremendous impact by achieving another colourful outcome by the end of the project.
- 2. We hope to see what impact the Wikimedia Fulfulde Community can make in the Wikimedia movement through contributing to the year 2023 Wiki Loves Earth event which happens to be our first edition.
- 3. We will also hope to grade the capacity of our community to run a contest of this scale.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Total participants||Number of total participants in the events||30|
|New participants||Number of newly registered participants||10|
|Uploads||Number of images uploaded||300|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Total number of the participants||30|
|Number of editors||Number of editors participate in the upload session||15|
|Number of organizers||Number of organizers including the judges||6|
|Wikimedia Commons||Images uploaded on Commons||300|
|Wikidata||Photos link to Wikidata Items||20|
|Wikipedia||Images assigned to relevant articles||30|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Outreach Dashboard, GLAM and Ptools
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).