Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Wikidata/Lexicographical data(lexemes) in NIIT Abuja. (ID: 22134563)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
hausa wikimedians user group
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikidata/Lexicographical data(lexemes) in NIIT Abuja.
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
This project aims to introduce wikidata and wikidata-lexemes in National Institution of Information Technology Abuja center. Changes to be achieved are:
- A change to further improve wikidata items and most importantly to introduce Lexicographical data (lexemes).
This change is needed to further increase participation, as these are information technology(IT) student with zero knowledge of how wikidata/lexemes works nor how the information are stored and used. So this provides an opportunity for these new editors to make meaningful contributions.
- Another change am trying to bring about is to expose these editors by introducing them to various wikidata and Lexicographical data tools for ease of editing.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
-The approach I will be using to achieve these changes will be centered on the saying "Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice",.. Emphasis will be placed on practical's(engaging participants in the practical session) and also using tools, analogies and different examples to show and make the information more understandable and intuitive. And by so doing (involving and engaging the participants), perspectives and ideas can be conceive and incorporated, leading to more creative solutions that are more likely to be successful.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
- I will be organizing a 2-day training sessions(workshop) to introduce the participants to wikidata/lexemes.Topics to be covered and delivered as part of the approaches are as follows.
participants will be introduce to:
- Wikidata/Lexicographical data, understanding the concept of Lexicographical data in Wikidata and also how Lexicographical data can be reused on various Wikimedia projects.
- cool queries that could be built with lexicographical data on Wikidata.
- various Wikidata and Lexicographical data tools.
some of the tools participants will be introduce to are, https://hangor.toolforge.org/, https://lexeme-forms.toolforge.org/, https://orthohin.toolforge.org/,https://wikishootme.toolforge.org/, https://quickstatements.toolforge.org etc.
- How to enrich lexeme pages(sense and forms) from online dictionary.
- How to also enrich wikidata pages with relevant information from reliable sources
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
user: JosefAnthony - Myself, am well experienced and exposed about the wikimedia movement with expertise on wikidata and i will be the project lead and coordinator.
user: Gwanki - Official in the community and an experienced wiki trainer... We will be working together as he is a long term Wikimedia volunteer and a well experienced organizer, of which we have successfully executed some projects together.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
my work aims to address content gaps and knowledge inequities by introducing
various tools for ease of editing wiki pages thereby enabling individuals from different backgrounds to learn and expand their knowledge base thereby contributing to greater representation of knowledge.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- Digital literacy
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
This proposal is targeted at student of the National Institute of Information Technology, Abuja to bring them to speed with wikidata/lexemes. We hope to engage these participants before the project implementation through e-posters and constant jingles through their various institutional online platforms. Follow ups(mentorship) will continue through the handles that will be created for the sake of the project.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
The general friendly space policy for Wikimedia events will be utilized efficiently and explained properly to the participants and the event will adhere to the Wikimedia friendly space policy throughout the implementation of the project.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
The community are well informed about the project. I did also notify the leaders and i have also communicated(posted) the project on our community channels and they are very much excited about the project
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
As facilitators of the project, we hope to have positive answers to the following questions;
Was introduction to wikidata/lexemes successful?
Were we able to recruit new editors?
Do the participants understand the various tools and basic skills needed to contribute efficiently to Wikidata/lexemes?
If the friendly space policy was adhered to?
If the participants could contribute to Wikidata and other sister projects properly?
If the project was beneficial to the targeted participants ?
Are participants introduced to the community for further engagement and contributions?
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|inspiration||survey on why they want to be part and inclusive in the Wikimedia movement||50|
|wikidata||Total number of items improved/added on wikidata||1000|
|lexemes||Total number of lexemes improved/added||500|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Total number of participants expected||40|
|Number of editors||Total number of editors||40|
|Number of organizers||number of organizers to anchor the project||2|
|Wikidata||Total number of items improved/added on wikidata||1500|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/ will be used to track edit made by participants.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).