Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Wikidata10th Birthday 2022 Celebration Kenya. (ID: 21932371)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Usernames :Cosmas Chumba
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia Community User Group Kenya.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikidata10th Birthday 2022 Celebration Kenya.
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
-The training seeks to raise awareness and provide capacity building on Wikidata among members of the Wikimedia Community User Group Kenya.
- Recruit New Wikidata Editors
- Increased knowledge in Kenya on Wikidata henceforth will help identify content gaps
- Increase Wikidata content and visibility in Kenya.
- Create awareness on the Wikidata activities and concepts in Kenya.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
The User group retains the participants by having a communication channel (WhatsApp, Telegram, Email) and capacity building which will be organized on the dates it will be done for the participants. Create wikidata resources to enable participants grasp the concept fostered by wikidata (Training materials). Enhance awareness by constantly and promptly communicating about Wikidata concept through all the media channels.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
1. Planned two online meetings with the User Group leads to discuss how, where, and when the campaign/workshop will take place. An update is emailed to the Wikidata team on the progress of the project.
- 2. Through our social media page for the community (Twitter), WhatsApp and Telegram groups personal Twitter and Facebook page. We will also have an e-poster that we will share with our community members.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- Wikidata 10th Birthday 2022
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Sadik Shahadu and Alice Kibombo will be the team facilitator when it comes to project training and orientation together with two coordinators from Kenya responsible for this campaign Ngangaesther and Cosmas Chumba; both of whom are long serving volunteers under the Wikimedia Community User Group Kenya and are capable of implementing this proposal to its fulfilment. Their usernames are Ngangaesther and Cosmas Chumba respectively.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Language, Topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Our wikidata concept will enhance practical recruitment and involvement of women in our campaign to enable them appreciate wikidata activities and consequently bridge the gender gap.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Climate Change and sustainability, Open Technology
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Gender Identity, Linguistic / Language, Digital Access
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
We have an active group of Wikimedians in Kenya who are always keen to take part in campaigns. We also have a team of librarians who are interested in taking part in the Wikidata training . We shall use social medias like WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook. We shall also use our personal networks to spread the word. To follow up with participants after activities, we will have a recap session to evaluate the impact of our campaign, access its success as well as get valuable feedback from the participants. Female gender will be highly encouraged to participate and create more Wikidata content to address a gender gap, empowerment and appreciation.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
Provide a safe space for the participants where their views will be respected without any discrimination or bias ness. We will also uphold the Wikimedia Open and Safe policy. Encourage the participants to embrace the WMF policy.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
We have raised awareness of Wikidata proposal on our Wikimedia User Group Kenya WhatsApp group to enable member get a grasp of Wikidata concept and enable them participate fully. We will recruit able and willing members to participate targeting Mount Kenya University Students to expand membership and contributions. A committee of 10 members who are well vast with Wikimedia planning and coordination of activities will be identified to expedite on member recruitment, preparation of resources such as training materials and identification of suitable venue for the ceremony
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- I am not aware of any other person(s) intending to coordinate a similar project in my country. Having inquired from the Wikimedia User Group Kenya on Wikidata concept , no one seem to have prior knowledge and thus took the initiative to be a pioneer and enable its feasibility in Kenya.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- How we can Wikimedia community user group Kenya contribute more to wikidata concept
-How does Wikidata work?
- How to collaborate with community to champion Wikidata Goals
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Number of participants||The number of Participant's who will register to attend Wikidata training and birthday ceremony will shed light on the willingness and interest to document Wikidata concepts and because this will be first time Wikidata campaign to be held in Kenya we target high number of participants to join the campaign.||50|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||We aim to target around 30 participants .||30|
|Number of editors||we expect 30 editors to be trained who are Wikimedia community user group members because we are stikl trying to improve in Wikidata arena, fortunately Sadiki Shahadu who is a great speaker and experienced with giving Wikidata trainings will carry out the training||30|
|Number of organizers||We have 5 main organizers who will ensure the smooth running of the Wikidata contest from start to completion.||5|
|Wikidata||This event seek to raise awareness and provide capacity building on Wikidata among the members of the Wikimedia Community User Group Kenya and new editors who will join the campaign.||50|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
We do not foresee any occurrence that might hinder us from achieving our goal. Will however keep the team posted should the inevitable happen.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
The two project leads are also very efficient in communication and will be able to guide the participants throughout the training to ensure there is no gap that may lead to our goals not being attained. Tools such as Google Sheets will also help us track these metrics.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).