Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Wikimedia Hackathon in Osun State (ID: 22113984)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
OTim75 Majorly Lyte RukayatAjeigbe
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Nigeria Wikimedia User Group
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikimedia Hackathon in Osun State
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
The major aim of the project is to foster collaboration between the technical community in Osun State and the Wikimedia Technical community by introducing them to the global 2023 Wikimedia Hackathon. Our main objectives include engaging developers within Osun State, inviting community members to participate in the technical aspects of the Wikimedia Movement, and recruiting new editors to join the Hackathon.
To achieve our goals, we plan to host a local pre-hackathon workshop and invite at least 5 developers from Osun Tech Community, this is a tech community based in Osun State. This will allow us to introduce participants to various Wikimedia tools and train them on different Wikidata tools such as Quickstatements and 'Mix n Match'. By participating in the Hackathon, community members will have the opportunity to contribute to the global Wikimedia Movement and connect with other like-minded individuals. We believe that this project will not only benefit the technical community in Osun State but also the wider Wikimedia community by bringing in new talent and perspectives.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
By bringing this opportunity to the technical community, we believe that they will be more committed to the Wikimedia project and its goals. The project will provide a platform for them to connect with other like-minded individuals and contribute to the global knowledge. This will not only help to bridge the gap between the technical community and the Wikimedia Technical community but also create a stronger sense of community within Osun State.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
We will organize two (2) in-person events to keep in touch with all participants. These events will consist of training on how to use Wikimedia tools and on different Wikidata tools such as Quickstatements and 'Mix n Match' , and Edit-a-thon for new editors. There will be hands-on keyboard training where the new editors will be given the avenue to practice what they have learnt. We will also create an outreach dashboard where we will monitor participants’ activities, and a WhatsApp group will be created where participants will be mentored after the events.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- Wikipedia Hackathon
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
OTim75 - Facilitator. He is an experienced Wikimedia Editor who led the info tourism and wellness project in Osun state and has co-organized the Wikidata For Tourism in Nigeria. He has participated and won various prizes at different contest in the Wikimedia community such as WPWPNG 2021 and Explore Nigeria contest among others. Major Lyte - Facilitator. He is a back end developer and also an experienced Wikimedian. He has led several programs in the Wikimedia movement in Nigeria. He co-facilitated the wiki hackathon in Kwara state 2022. RukayatAjeigbe - She is an experienced Wikimedia Editor. She facilitated and participated in various Wikimedia projects such as WikiLoveAfrica, WPWP, Wikidata(Media personalities in Nigeria), WikiGLAM Awareness for Libraries and Librarians in Kwara, Wikidata for Libraries and Librarians in Nigeria, 1lib1ref 2022 Kwara, She has organized Celtic Knot Satellite event in Osun State, Wikimedia awareness campaign project in Osun state. she is a certified trainer of Reading Wikipedia in the classroom.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Socioeconomic Status, Other global topics for impact (topics considered to be of global importance)
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Osun tech community have limited access to the vast resources of the Wikimedia project. This project aims to introduce the community, to the Wikimedia Technical community contribute to the global knowledge and encourage their participation in the Wikimedia Hackathon 2023. With this initiative, we hope to foster a culture of innovation and collaboration within the state, where everyone has access to the tools and resources needed to create meaningful contributions to the Wikimedia Movement.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Advocacy, Open Technology
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Socioeconomic status, Digital Access
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Osun state technical communities are the audience. We will be collaborating with our local tech community; Osogbo Tech Hub who have technical knowledge and can participate in the Wikimedia Hack-a-thon 2023. Participants will be communicated via different social media channels and physical gatherings. A WhatsApp follow-up group will be created to further engage them. The group will provide them with tips on engaging in the technical aspects of Wikipedia.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
All participants will be enlightened about the Wikimedia friendly space policy and the Universal Code of Conduct and Wikimedia code of conduct for technical spaces
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have informed the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria Link: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_User_Group_Nigeria#Community_Notification_35
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
I hope I'm able to equip more new editors and engaged the existing ones productively by Introducing participants to some Wikimedia tools and train them on different Wikidata tools
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Number of Events||Number of edit-a-thon to be held.||2|
|Number of articles||Phabricator task to work on||50|
|N/A||Wikimedia tools to improve||50|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||The target participants are the technical community in Osun State.||30|
|Number of editors||New editors that will join the Wiki tech community were they can contributes to WIkimedia projects via Phabricator tasks and other technical contributions such as Writing codes and fixing bugs.||30|
|Number of organizers||RukayatAjeigbe Project Coordinator.
Major Lyte will be in charge of trainings. OTim75 will be in charge of communications and publicity.
|Translatewiki||Participants will be able to create a phabricator username and will be assigned to phabricator task to fix or debug codes.||50|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Phabricator to evaluate participation during the edit-a-thon. Wikimedia Hashtag Tools
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).