This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Gwanki, Hamza DK, M Bash Ne, Umar-askira, Salihu Aliyu, Em-mustapha
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikipedia Awareness Campaign and Edit-a-thon at Shehu Idris College of Science and Technology Makarfi.
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Wikipedia campaigns have never taken place in Makarfi, therefore, the change I will bring through this project is recruiting new editors for Hausa Wikipedia. Additionally, articles that are less improved will be developed through this project.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
My strategy will first be seeking for the management corporation in letting the activity take place in their college. Secondly, I will create posters and stickers during the awareness campaigns and distribute the to the staff and students so that to let them get the knowledge of what Wikipedia is all about before the major training.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The main activity is the Edit-a-thon after the awareness campaigns.
Activities to be carried out are as follows:
Trip: On the firs day of the event, I and other experienced editors will go around to the college premises academic offices and some target departments of the college and lecture halls explaining Wikipedia and its sister projects, sharing printed fliers containing information about Wikipedia and its sister projects.
Workshop- On the second day of the event, as a project lead, I will make an introduction of Wikipedia and its sister projects to the participants after then, other experienced editors will begin creating Wikipedia account to the new fresh editors and then teaching them on how to edit and contribute to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes, I have experienced editors who will aid me in executing this project. Their Wikipedia Username names are listed below:
1, Iliyasu Umar, the project lead.
2, Em-mustapha 3, Gwanki 4, M bash Ne 5, Umar-askira 6, Salihu Aliyu. They are all experienced Wikimedians, they will help me in engaging the participans during the events and finally i have three students of the college that will also help me carrying out a successful project.. the students will also help me to organize a trip in the college campus.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Language, Socioeconomic Status, Other global topics for impact (topics considered to be of global importance), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
The project is aimed at promoting and making awareness of Wikimedia projects to the people in the Makarfi local government region, so it will be an encouragement if articles related to locality are improved during the course of the project which will help give a way to the new potential recruit editors grabs their opportunity to edit content they are most familiar with.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy, Human Rights, Open Technology
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Socioeconomic status, Digital Access
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
- The target participants are teachers and students of the college of science health and technology, Makarfi and they may be people of different community backgrounds. I will inform the school management before the event, highlight them what the event is all about and will open groups in social network platform to be responding to their questions and to be guiding them after the project.
Women are mostly underrepresented and I want to bridge this gap, by encouraging them to participate and also providing them with the necessary support like bus to pick them up to and from the event hall as most women do not have the means to pay the local transport to attend such event and will feel very shy to explain themselves telling such as the reason.
- The college is not far from where I currently live. It is a few kilometers away. And I want to confirm to you that I know the school and the community very well because I once lived there for a study. I have already begun contacting two of my friends who are now students of the college for necessary arrangements.
- I have four well experienced editors that will help me lead this project successful by God's grace. These are:
1- Gwanki 2- Umar-askira 3- Salihu Aliyu 4- M Bash Ne
The above mentioned experienced wikimedians (Wikipedia User names) will be invited to help me run this project. They have experience to run projects and have run various projects in different places in Nigeria. Looking that this is my first project and inviting these experienced editors to lead the project, will yield good impacts.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
Participants may not necessarily have the skills as they are new but I believe that most of them will bring smartphones, laptops, and other supportive devices that will help in carrying out this project. I have a plan of hiring laptops computers in supporting those that came with non. Covid-19 protocols will effectively be observed in making sure lives and health of the participants are safe.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I will let them know through the User group's social media groups on WhatsApp and Telegram.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- To see whether the project can grow the Hausa Wikimedians User Group by adding new fresh Editors.
- I plan to see that this project create awareness about Wikipedia and its sister projects to the staff and students of the college. This project will also train these new editors to have the required skills to edit Wikipedia and its sister projects. I will also put necessary efforts for new editors make use of Wikipedia as place to acquire knowledge and a reference tool.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics
|We will create awareness both online and offline in order to promote the wikimedia project objectives
|Training new editors
|We will recruit and train new editors on how to create articles and improve existing ones.
|New and existing articles that will improve and grow wikimedia projects will be created and improved.
|Creating WhatsApp group
|WhatsApp group, Telegram and Facebook page will be created after the event and add those that already picked interest in Wikipedia.
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants
|The target participants are people from 18-70 years and they are staff and students.
|Number of editors
|These are the targets number of new editors of Wikimedia projects.
|Number of organizers
|Number of experienced editors who will run and organize the projects.
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Program and Event Dashboard and Wikimedian Hashtag Tools will be used to measure the metric
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).