This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Facilitators: Tochiprecious and Oby Ezeilo
Team members : Ebubechukwu1, Favourdare123
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikipedia Outreach to Abuja Youth service corps members
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Information of all kinds can be found on Wikipedia which is a free encyclopedia of knowledge but some people have not still heard about the name ``Wikipedia``. I conducted a survey to ask Youth Corps in Abuja if they have heard about Wikipedia or its sister projects but the response was shocking that only about 5% know about Wikipedia and haven't heard about Wikipedia or its sister projects. These link below shows the results for the survey https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lolwy0rGfw7m8YCvfQzsZULCjnCJBe8RLS3H7x-v-6s/edit?usp=drivesdk While also interacting with the youth corps members that said they know about Wikipedia, I discovered that some of them had ignorantly attempted to modify Wikipedia articles and were blocked; as new users, this discouraged them from continuing further editing. Less than 5% of the total corp members are corp members who are actively contributing to the free knowledge. This project aims to run a campaign to raise awareness of how to effectively search, edit,retrieve, use, and improve material on Wikipedia (both physically and online through the community communication channels of various Youth Corps members). The goal of this project is to raise awareness of Wikimedia projects like Wikipedia and Wikidata among National Youth Service Corps members serving in Abuja. They would also be guided on how to create a Wikipedia account and do basic copy editing,adding citation, correcting typos, adding info boxes, create new Wikidata items and add statements to already existing items without being blocked.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
1.My strategy for promotion is to set up offline and online promotional activities for the Wikimedia Projects targeted at the members of the Corps.
- 2.To further inform them about Wikipedia and its sister projects and how they can participate in them, as well as how they can gather and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain and disseminate it effectively and globally, this will be accomplished by organizing a two-day physical and two-day online promotion, training, and edit-a-thon for the Youth Corps members stationed in Abuja.
The awareness would last for a month. Would Utilize the strategy of using volunteer experienced editors to train new editors and enhance the abilities of current editors. Make use of the numerous youth corps service members' internet contact channels to continue sensitization and to follow up with new editors.
- 3.These tactics will be successful with the help of Corpers Liaison officers and members of the community with access to the different platforms and communication channels used by Youth Corp members, as well as a group of skilled Wikimedia editors.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
1.Sensitization and outreach: Increasing awareness among the Abuja Youth Corps members both before, after approval, and during the implementation stage. In order to find participants, a call for participation is sent out. Before the training begins, participants are guided through the creation of an account, and a WhatsApp group is created for them to get information about the program.
- 2.Physical Edit-a-thon Day 1: New users will learn about Wikimedia/Wiki projects and the basics of Wikipedia. Training will cover the right ways for new users to search, edit, obtain, utilize, and improve information on Wikipedia.
- 3.Day 2: Overview of Wikidata as a Wikimedia project; creation and modification of Wikidata items. We aim at Training them how to start creation of new Wikidata item and how to add statements and reference to statements.
- 4.There will be two online edit-a-thons on Wikipedia and Wikidata. This will act as a medium for participants' retraining, guidance, and follow-up. It will also be targeted towards individuals who were unable to take part in the physical exercises.
- 5.CONTEST: At the end of the event, there will be an online Wiki contest. The three Wiki projects will serve as the foundation for this competition.
Winners will be announced, and winners will receive certificates and approved presents.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Everyone that will be involved in this project are all Wikimedian volunteers.
Isaacayodele32 : project lead and organiser, is an experienced editor.
Tochiprecious and Oby Ezeilo will help me in facilitating the event both online and offline, they will help me in organising and training the editors.
Team members: Ebubechukwu1 will be in charge of communication and information, she will be in charge for sharing the information to all participants both online and offline.
Favourdare123: he will be in charge of logistics and transportation during the course of the event and project.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Language, Socioeconomic Status, Other global topics for impact (topics considered to be of global importance), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Participants will learn about the Wikimedia movement and projects through the project. Additionally, it will dispel any misconceptions they may have regarding Wikipedia sources and articles. Adding new content and updating current content is also noteworthy.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language, Age
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The Target participants are serving youth corps members in Abuja, Nigeria. To inform, remind, and communicate with participants,information will be passed through the different messaging and communication channels used by Youth Corps participants. Before the event, posters, electronic flyers, and printed flyers will be distributed. An online form will be issued to participants to collect their information and register them for the event. Participants will receive instructions on setting up Meta-Wiki accounts, training, and edit-a-thons throughout the event. Following the events, attendees will sign up as members of User groups, keeping them informed and promoting participation in wiki events. For follow-up, updates, questions, etc., participants will be added to the already-existing message channel. Additionally, future events would welcome these attendees.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We will adhere to the Wikimedia-friendly space policy during the event. The Wikimedia-friendly space policy and UCoC will be distributed to participants before the event starts. The event premises will be safe and conducive.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have informed the Nigeria Wikimedian User group about my project proposal to create Wikipedia awareness among Abuja Youth corps members. Below is the link https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_User_Group_Nigeria#Community_Notification%3A_Wikipedia_Outreach_to_Abuja_Youth_service_corps_members
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Identify Topics for Impact, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
1. I am interested in learning how youth corps participants interact with the data they gather.
- 2. I want to understand how youth corp members use information.
- 3. I hope to learn to work with diverse communities and people.
- 4. It will give me a better knowledge of various people and their level of familiarity with Wikimedia projects.
- 5. The extent to which National Youth Service Corps members in Abuja are aware of Wikimedia projects.
- 6. I hope I can offer solutions to the issues the project participants encountered.
- 7. Provide new editors with the tools they need and actively engage the current ones in creating and improving new items and articles.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics
|Recruiting new editors
|Participants will be new editors and they will be trained by experienced Wikimedia editors in a two day's physical and online training.
|The total number of quality improvements that would be done during the training on Wikipedia and Wikidata.
|Number of organizers
|1 Project lead
2 facilitators 2 team members
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants
|Number of New participants
|Number of editors
|Numbers of new editors will be recruited
|Number of organizers
|Total number of organizing team
|Number of articles to be created or improved
|Number of articles to be created or improved
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
We will create an outreach dashboard where we will monitor the participants activities. It will also be used to measure some project metrics such as number of participants, number of articles created/improved, number of references added to articles, article views amongst others. We will also be using the hash tag tool.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).