This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Nigeria Wikimedia User Group
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikipedia Awareness In Osun State
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
The creation of Wikipedia and its sister's project awareness In Osun State is targeted towards laying a solid foundation for the widespread adoption and use of Wikimedia products among the youths especially students in higher institutions in Osun State.
This is in addition to exposure and helping them acquire numerous digital and research skills to enable them to contribute massively to articles that will increase the visibility of the growth and development of Osun State by creating numerous contents, alongside deploying the knowledge and skills learnt to contribute contents with original images for Wikipedia.
This 4 weeks training has the potential to bridge the content gaps that exist about articles on different topics relating to Osun with the help of experienced editors ; many notable local and international scholars, organizations, tourist attraction sites such as the historical and research places, and many more in Osun state do not have wide coverage on Wikipedia.
Also, unlike in other states where there has been a series of training and presence of the Wikimedia community, there has never been any training or series of edit-a-thons to train people and notify them about Wikimedia projects and how they can contribute to it them in Osun state.
No doubt, this project if approved will help to establish the first ever Wiki community meetup in Osun state, including a club specifically meant for a group of editors and learners.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Recruiting 50 new editors across different higher institutions of learning in Osun State. This will allow full participation of students from different institutions within Osun State.
Creating awareness about Wikimedia projects among participants in Osun State. Many of the participants may be familiar with English Wikipedia but few are aware of other existing languages Wikipedia especially the Yoruba Wikipedia as well as other Wikimedia products that promote free knowledge and open access to information enhancing the need for this approach.
Training participants on how to contribute to the various Wikimedia projects that the training focuses on; create Wikipedia account, understand the core content policies, and understand general editing principles, performing minor edits among others to improve content about people, places, organizations of Osun State on English Wikipedia, Wikidata, and Wikicommons.
Use outreach dashboard to track contributions and provide one on one support for editors.
Giving out prizes to top 6 contributors as incentives to motivate them at the end of the campaign.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The project will run for a period of one month to introduce Wikipedia to this community.
The strategies that will be adopted in carrying out the project will include:
- 1. Two (2) days of an in-person (physical) workshop.
- Regular one-on-one support for the contributors (new editors) during the physical training.
- 2. Two (2) series of online reinforcement training.
- To properly equip them with needed skills about how to edit on Wikipedia, Wikidata, and Wikicommons.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
RukayatAjeigbe(Project Lead): she is an experienced Wikimedian, She has participated in various Wikimedia projects such as WikiLoveAfrica, WPWP, Wikidata(Media personalities in Nigeria), WikiGLAM Awareness for Libraries and Librarians in Kwara, Wikidata for Libraries and Librarians in Nigeria, 1lib1ref 2022 Kwara, She also won Celtic Knot Scholarship 2022 to attend the Online Conference.
Bukky658(Online facilitator): she is an experienced project organiser, wikibrarian, Librarian in training, and a fellow of the WikiAFlib Cohort 1. She has participated in a series of online contests such as WPWP, WikiSDGs, WikiLoveAfrica, Wiki Activate, WikiSanta, WikiExpedition, etc. She is also the communication expert of Eduwiki collaborators and a certified trainer of the reading Wikipedia in the classroom program.
Linason Blessing(Online Facilitator): she is an experienced wikibrarian, She has participated in various Wikimedia projects such as WikiLoveAfrica, WPWP, Wikidata(Media personalities in Nigeria), Winner of WPWP Kwara and Wikidata Media personality in Nigeria, WikiGLAM Awareness for Libraries and Librarians in Kwara, Wikidata for Libraries and Librarians in Nigeria, 1lib1ref 2022 Kwara, etc.
James Rhoda - Communications and event planner; experienced Wikimedian, member of Unilorin Wikimedia Fan club, Winner of WikiLoveSDGs and Wikidata for Media personality in Nigeria.
I also have three experienced Wikimedian editors that are in Osun State who will be facilitating at the physical event on this project. Please find their Username below: OYENATION: he has participated in various Wikimedia projects such as work on Wikidata projects, English Wikipedia and Wikicommons.
Kaisha33: she has participated in various Wikimedia projects such as Wiki for Human Right projects, Afrocine Contest, WPWP.
Albertoblaq: he is an experienced Wikicommons contributor, he has participated in various wikidata, Wikipedia and also WPWP.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Age (regency), Language, Other global topics for impact (topics considered to be of global importance), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
The contents of the program will prioritize bridging the information gap by updating existing articles and creating new articles about people, places and organizations in Osun state, whilst documenting them on English and Yoruba Wikipedia, by promoting knowledge equity aligned with the strategic direction of the Wikimedia movement because it will increase the investment of resources in underrepresented Wikimedia communities around the world.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Advocacy, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Open Technology, Diversity
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Gender Identity, Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language, Socioeconomic status, Digital Access
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
This proposal is targeted at the diverse students (youth) community in Osun State.
We hope to engage these participants before the project implementation through the students' union of various institutions and Osun Youth Representative at the federal level.
The call for participation will be done through effective local communication channels which the students belong to using E-posters, and banners to promote the program on social media platforms. All Participants will be sent an online form to get their data and for registration.
During the project, I and my team member will be actively involved in facilitating the training and also making sure that the participants get the act and art of contributing to Wikipedia and sister projects; how to edit Wikipedia, Wikidata, and Wikicommons.
Also, the training is set to have 2 physical and online training/ edithatons to ensure that editors are properly guided on how to bridge the knowledge and content gap across various Wikimedia projects.
To ensure the sustainability of the project, After the events, participants will join as members in the Wikimedia community, this will keep them updated and encourage participation during wiki events. Participants will be added to the existing messaging channel for follow-up, updates, questions, etc. These participants would also be invited to future events.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
The General friendly space policy for Wikimedia events will be summarized and to be read at the beginning of each event to remind the participants and the organizers of the importance of a friendly space policy.
We will adhere to the Wikimedia-friendly space policy during the event. The Wikimedia-friendly space policy and UCoC will be distributed to participants before the event starts. The event premises will be safe and conducive.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have informed the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria through the discussion page for their suggestions and inputs.
I have as well been in direct contact with them and
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
The Osun State Youth Parliament: The body will help to mobilize and communicate with the students (youth) by using their social media platforms. The stakeholders in Education Sector in Osun state for monitoring and approval to host the program in some selected institution in Osun state. The school management of Fountain University, Osun state University and Federal Polytechnic Ede, in Osun state.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Evaluate, Iterate, and Adapt
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
I aim to learn how to coordinate and manage participants.
How to effectively improve content gaps on Wikipedia and its sisters project.
I hope to learn from participants to enhance my community engagements and priorities skills that improve contributions of editors as well as sustainability of new editors in various Wikimedia strategies
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics
|Creating Community Awareness about Wikimedia Projects
|Students (youths), online and offline outlets will be used to create a massive awareness about the aims, goals and objectives of Wikimedia Foundation
|Training of new editors
|90% of the participants will be new editors and they will be trained by experienced Wikimedia editors in four different sessions. Two online training and two offline(physical) workshop.
|Contribution of local contents to Wikipedia
|A four weeks closely monitored edit-a-thon will be created that will ensure massive contribution/improvement of local contents about Osun State.
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants
|Number of Participants
|Number of editors
|Number of Editors
|Number of organizers
|Number of Organizers
1 Project Lead 3 online Facilitator 3 Physical Facilitator
|Creating/ improving articles on languages, places, history, administration, people, works, ethnic groups, culture, foods and tourist attractions in Osun State
|Creating and editing Wikidata items about Osun State
|Contributing original and non-copyright images of historical and places in Osun State.
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
Creating Community Awareness about Wikimedia Projects in Osun State
Number of editors - 50
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Number of participants: Program and Events Dashboard Number of Editors: Program and Events Dashboard Number of Organizers: Program and Events Dashboard Number of new content contributions to Wikimedia Projects: Program and Events Dashboard and Wikimedia Hashtag Tools
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).