Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/WBG/Annual Plan 2022-23
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Bodhisattwa (Primary signatory and WBG primary contact)
Atudu (Second signatory) Amitabha Gupta (Lead for Wiki Exploration Program)
- West Bengal Wikimedians User Group
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
H.1 Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
R. Where will this proposal be implemented?
S. Please indicate whether your work will be focused on one country (local), more than one or several countries in your region (regional) or has a cross-regional (global) scope:
S1. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
T. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
1. What is the overall vision of your organization and how does this proposal contribute to this? How does this proposal connect to past work and learning?
- West Bengal Wikimedians User Group (WBG) is a Wikimedia affiliate from the Indian state of West Bengal, which aims to build a strong and diverse volunteer community, encourage them to develop content in different Wikimedia projects and help build projects with high impact by collaborating with local community leaders along with existing affiliates and GLAM institutes from all over the world. The user group was built by a group of dedicated volunteers which had gained experience to document culture and heritage of the region for almost a decade before the inception of the affiliate. Hence, since its formation, WBG has taken forward these volunteer efforts in a much more organized way through multi-year programs to reduce content gaps on language, heritage, history and culture of the region.
- The user group had submitted different grant proposals in the past for different programs, projects and events including their annual plans, executed them with the best of their capacity and submitted reports on time. With these previous funding, the user group has not only organized national-level photographic contests on WIkimedia Commons like the prestigious Wiki Loves Monuments or series of proofread contests on Wikisource in consecutive years in the past to bring new users to the Wikimedia world and generate content but for the last four years, it has also sent small teams to pro-actively seek and document built heritage structures located even in remote parts of West Bengal with limited accessibility through Wiki Exploration Program. These field-documentations brought back tens of thousands of detailed photographs of heritage structures, which were not documented digitally anywhere on the web or were in the verge of collapse due to lack of maintenance. Unfortunately for some heritage structures, the user group efforts might become the last documentation ever. The user group, also dedicated to support the hard-working and passionate volunteers of the region, has tried its best in its capacity in the past to provide infrastructure support to them when needed.
- All these past events, projects and programs will all be continued this year too. The expenditure of most of the user group programs like Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Food, Proofread competitions on Bengali Wikisource, digitization program etc. will almost remain the same as previous year, but there are plans to scale up Wiki Exploration Program and logistics and infrastructure support for our volunteers including project leaders, which has been elaborated below in details.
2. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important?
- It is well known fact that the history, culture, heritage and language of global south regions are not well preserved and represented as compared to the developed nations. While moving towards a more globalized world, local histories are being forgotten, cultures are getting replaced, heritages are being demolished and languages are getting extinct and thus knowledge are getting lost every day. Through past WBG activities to document built heritage, we have witnessed destruction of old structures due to negligence, lack of insight or historical knowledge and lack of resources and that's why since the inception of the user group, its members have always felt that it is utmost important to preserve and represent the knowledge digitally and have always worked towards this goal in various ways, be it a nation wide photographic competition or tedious field documentations at remote places or GLAM partnerships etc.
- This proposal is no different from the previous ones coming from the user group with respect to this goal. This time too, the user group will continue organizing the projects and programs and try to preserve local history, culture, heritage and language digitally, like the way it has done last year and the years before that. But with respect to scalability for some of the user group programs, there will be some changes. The programs require better equipment than the entry level photographic gear we use, so that more quality is ensured.
- WBG has been trying to sustain itself for future and that requires building up of a pool of leaders coming from the community, who will design, plan, lead and execute new UG programs concerning open knowledge in future. This fund proposal and all previous fund requests coming from WBG can be viewed as the perfect opportunity to bring new leaders in the movement, so that in coming days, when the monetary and logistical resources become adequate for WBG to become a more sustainable organization, we can ensure to have a handy human resources too, who can take the affiliate, community and movement forward.
3. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
- The user group plans to preserve local history, culture, heritage and language digitally directly or indirectly using the following approaches.
- National-level photographic competitions on Wikimedia Commons - This approach had always brought new users to the WIkimedia world in the past who are interested in specific topics of the competition. Photographic competitions also led us to do extensive work on metadata in the background and collaboration with like minded organizations bringing more quality to the content.
- Field documentation of heritage - In global south regions, to document our rapidly disappearing heritage and culture, teams need to be sent to pro-actively seek, search and document them in an organized way instead of waiting to create local volunteer bases who can document them organically. For last few years, this approach of the user group had brought back thousands and thousands of media files and documented few hundreds of built heritage structures which would have not been documented before on Wikimedia sites ever.
- Proofread competitions on Bengali Wikisource - Bengali Wikisource has a very little editor base. Through this approach, it attracts new users or anchor old editors who had left the project due to some reason. Also, this has helped to increase content on specific focus areas bringing more reference materials to readers.
- Digitization program - A digitization program of re-licensed or public domain books can bring missing contents on Wikisource.
- Infrastructure and logistics support - To retain good volunteers in global south, it is utmost important to provide infrastructure support when needed. Also, better documentation projects require better equipment too. The user group, with its limited capacity, had always tried to provide support to its volunteer assets and dedicated community leaders in the past.
4. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
- Following the above mentioned approaches, the user group will plan and execute the following activities:
- National-level photographic competitions
- Wiki Loves Food 2022 in India - It is a photographic competition focusing on Indian cuisine on WIkimedia Commons. The user group has started to organize the competition from last year. Photographers will be called to submit photographs on Indian food during the entire month of November, 2022, winners will be announced by selected jury members and the user group will spend the allotted money to send prizes to the winners. Relevant data works will happen in the background.
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2022 in India - It is a nation-wide photographic competition on WIkimedia Commons focusing on built heritage located in India. The user group has been organizing this competiion since 2018 in parallel with Wiki Loves Monuments competitions from around the world. This year too, photographers will be called to submit photographs during the month of September 2022, winners will be announced by selected jury members and the allotted money will be spent to send prizes to the winners in next months. Relevant data works will happen in the background.
- Field documentation of heritage through Wiki Exploration Program.
- There are plans to explore built heritage structures in different locations of at least 7 districts in West Bengal and 5 districts of Bihar in different phases throughout the year.
- Small teams comprising of 1-3 people will be sent to these locations to seek, search and digitally document as many as built heritage structures as possible.
- This year, a drone operator will be assigned and sent to take aerial views for some of the heritage structures.
- The team will bring back photographs and videos and upload them to Wikimedia Commons.
- Relevant data work on Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons will be carried out in the background.
- Proofread competitions on Bengali Wikisource
- Rabimas proofread competition - This event is being organized since 2019 commemorating the occasions of the birth and death anniversary of Noble Laureate polymath Rabindranath Tagore. This year too, this 3-months long event will be held from May to August where Wikisourcers will be called to proofread selected books written by Tagore and at the end of the competition, winners will be declared and prizes will be sent to their addresses.
- British Library Two Centuries of Indian Print (TCIP) competition - The user group is collaborating with the Two Centuries of Indian Print project of the British Library since last year. Like previous year, there are plans to organize at least 2 one-month long proofread competitions focusing on the books in the TCIP collection. At the end of the competition, winners will be declared and prizes will be sent to their addresses.
- There will be at least another proofread competition which has not been decided yet.
- Digitization program - The user group has been digitizing Bengali books on a small scale for last 4 years. This year too, the scanning program will continue focusing on absent or defective books on Bengali Wikisource. One person will be assigned to do the work.
- Infrastructure and Logistic support - The user group has tried to improve the working infrastructure of community leads and volunteers to in the past and it will scale it up this year. A Nikon Z 6-II camera with Z 24-120 lens will be purchased to bring more quality to the Wiki Exploration Program. The camera and lens will be used by any volunteers in the region in future for similar kind of photographic documentation. There is a request from a volunteer for a support for a laptop too. Like previous year, the user group will also provide WiFi routers and good internet connections upon request to contributors who had been consistently serving high quality contents in recent years.
5. Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
5.1 If yes, provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan?
6. Please include a timeline (operational calendar) for your proposal.
- While the UG annual plan comprises of some programs with fixed timeline, some others will happen throughout the year with considerable amount of flexibility depending upon external variables. Timeline of few of other projects will be decided in due course. The probable timeline of all our programs are listed below.
- Wiki Loves Food (preparatory phase: October, '22, contest: November, '22, jury process: December, '22, prize distribution: January, '23)
- Wiki Loves Monuments (preparatory phase: July-August, '22, contest: September, '22, jury process: October, '22, prize distribution: November, '22)
- Wiki Exploration Program - Year long in different phases.
- Rabimas Proofread competition (9 May 2022 - 8 August 2022)
- British Library Two Centuries of Indian Print proofread competition- To be determined taking into consideration of 2CIP feedback
- Another proofread competition - Not yet decided will require community feedback and is dependent on schedule of other campaigns.
- Digitization Program - Year long, no fixed dates
- Community infrastructure and logistics support - Year long, no fixed dates
7. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- Majority of the programs for which this proposal is placed, are organized by WBG for around 1-5 years and hence separate volunteer teams had been developed over time to plan and execute these programs.
- Wiki Loves Food - Atudu, Rangal Datta Wiki, Gangulybiswarup, Indrajitdas, Bodhisattwa (organizing team, volunteers)
- Wiki Loves Monuments - Sumitsurai, Atudu, Bodhisattwa, Pmlineditor, Indrajitdas, Amitabha Gupta (organizing team, volunteers)
- Wiki Exploration Program - Amitabha Gupta (program lead, volunteer), Biswas Dibyendu (drone operator, contractor), Bodhisattwa(background support, volunteer)
- Proofread competitions on Wikisource - Bodhisattwa (organizer, volunteer)
- GLAM partnership with British Library - Bodhisattwa (coordinator, volunteer)
- Digitization Program - Jayantanth (coordinator, volunteer), Soumyajit Das (scanning personnel, contractor)
- Community Infrastructure support - Bodhisattwa, Atudu (volunteer)
- Overview of all programs - Jayantanth, Sumitsurai, Atudu, Hrishikes, Bodhisattwa (Representative Committee (RC) members of WBG, volunteers)
- Coordination with Fiscal sponsor and WMF grants team - Bodhisattwa (volunteer)
8. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
- Geography, Language, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
8.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
- Almost all WBG programs and projects revolve around reducing content and data gap. The Wiki Exploration field trips are designed in such a way that it can focus on under-represented heritage structures which were not digitally documented before or have very little presence on internet. Wiki Loves Monuments in India has components for non-designated monuments which are not protected by any government or private agencies and thus are not well documented. Wiki Loves Food focuses on the diverse Indian cuisine, majority of which are not very well represented on Wikimedia sites. The proofread competitions and campaigns on Bengali Wikisource focuses on books whose texts are not searchable on internet most of the time. Background data works also happen simultaneously reducing data gap on Wikidata. All these activities reduce the gaps related to photographic content and reference materials which can be used while creating or enriching Wikipedia articles on the subject.
9. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- Culture, heritage or GLAM , Other
- Community support
10. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Please note, we had previously asked about inclusion and diversity in terms of CONTENTS, in this question we are asking about the diversity of PARTICIPANTS. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
11. What are your strategies for engaging participants, particularly those that currently are non-Wikimedia?
- The user group has been engaging new participants outside of Wikimedia world mainly through different campaigns and competitions. Wiki Loves photo-competitions have effectively attracted professional and amateur photographers and heritage lovers from around the world over the years and India is no exception either. The two Wiki Loves competitions which the user group is planning to organize again this year has brought around (70-85)% new users in the past.
12. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants and promoting the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy, and/or equivalent local policies and processes?
- The user group adopted Code of Conduct & Friendly Space Policy back in 2018 which covers all its program and events. The Bylaws of the user group has also included several measures for equitable decision making and conflict resolutions.
13. Do you have plans to work with Wikimedia communities, groups, or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
13.1 If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- WBG was not only created by experienced and long term Wikimedia volunteers from the state of West Bengal back in 2017, but as per its Bylaws, it deeply values experience and skills of Wikimedia volunteers in all its decision making and designing of all the programs of the user group programs. Like previous years, this year too, the community members were asked to place their request to WBG on projects they want to work on and after their submissions, this proposal has been placed based on their needs. This proposal has also been shared with different Bengali Wikimedia village pumps along with India and West Bengal mailing lists to notify the community, gather their feedback and modify the proposal, if required.
14. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
14.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- The user group is collaborating with the Two Centuries of Indian Print (2CIP) project of the British Library for last year. In this GLAM project, all public domain Bengali books under 2CIP collections are getting uploaded on Wikimedia Commons. Two proofread competitions were also organized on Bengali Wikisource last year to let proofreaders focus on these books. The user group is in contact with 2CIP this year too and it has plans to run a third iteration or even fourth iteration of the proofread competition with their collaboration. While the user group will help run the event, coordinate with the participants, check their contributions, declare winners and send some prizes, 2CIP will provide the books, send digital certificates to the winners and spread news in their digital circle. The events were and will be presented in different relevant conferences too.
15. How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
- All the user group projects, mentioned in this grant proposal, are consistently continuing for last 1-5 years to reduce content gap related to the culture, heritage, history and language of the region and bring more quality to the contents already available, but still, even with the best of efforts, the work is still far from complete.
- Wiki Exploration Program, which has covered many built heritage structures from remote areas of West Bengal in detail for the first time and will continue to do so along with expanding to the neighboring state of Bihar in this grant period, but there are still many heritage structures left for next year. This program has brought thousands of photographs of terracotta reliefs from different regions of the state, for which plans for iconographic data modeling and metadata work are in the pipeline.
- Our past activities around Wiki Loves Monuments not only brought photographs, but also generated huge amount of data for heritage structures of the entire country. The quality of the data still requires more love though.
- Wiki Loves Food competition has got some great photographs, but the data work is at the very primary stage for now.
- Proofread competitions will continue on Bengali Wikisource in future too to cover as many books and attract as many new users as possible.
- The equipment purchased for the community to support themselves and to run their projects will be maintained and used even after the grant period is over.
16. What kind of risks do you anticipate and how would you mitigate these. This can include factors such as external/contextual issues that may affect implementation, as well as internal issues, such as governance/leadership changes.
- We are anticipating at least two avoidable risks for this grant proposal.
- COVID-19: A new wave of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic might halt our offline programs especially the Wiki Exploration Program, which requires extensive travel including inter-district and inter-state border crossing. Although we have already ensured that the team is fully vaccinated but still there can be always some risks from a mutated virulent strain of the virus. If a new wave comes, we will follow the local law and postpone all our offline activities if necessary until the wave subsides.
- Fiscal sponsorship: The Center for Internet and Society has agreed to our request of being fiscal sponsor of the grant. They have agreed to send advance money before any of our program starts, provided we notify them at least two weeks before. They will also have no problem with our purchase of equipment and keep it as our asset for future use. On our side, we will send digital copies of all our expenditure receipts and vouchers within one month of wrapping up of our events. However, as this process requires a third party organization, a good co-ordination is required between their finance team and our program leads to execute the programs smoothly right on schedule.
17. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
- Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Coordinate Across Stakeholders, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Identify Topics for Impact, Evaluate, Iterate, and Adapt
18. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
19. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- This particular fund proposal will enrich our understanding mostly on how to digitally preserve under-represented heritage, culture, history and language in a proactive way on an emergency basis. The proposal will also help us learn on how to better serve the community with regards to acknowledging of equitable decision making, building up new leadership in a decentralized and bottom-up way and providing logistics and infrastructure support for those in need.
We have been learning on how to generate contents with both quantity and quality in an impactful and cost-effective way from all our past activities and related grants. Like them, the programs and activities mentioned in this fund proposal too will enrich our previous learning and effectively plan our events in a much more organized way. All the organizers and community leads taking part to lead the programs mentioned in these proposal will learn from the shortcomings and mistakes, which we will obviously encounter while executing them, and their learning will improve our future plans. We are sure that all our past, current and future activities, be it funded like this proposal, or not, will eventually help us run our affiliate in a much more sustainable, collaborative, transparent and effective way than before.
20. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following space provided.
|Number of new Wikimedia Commons uploaders||Number of newly registered individuals who will be uploading photographs on Wikimedia Commons
|Number of places covered during Wiki Exploration field trip||* South 24 Parganas district - 36
|Number of volunteers supported w.r.t. logistics and infrastructure||This includes providing camera and lens for documentation purpose, along with laptop, WiFi routers and internet support for daily editing||8|
Here are some additional metrics that you can use if they are relevant to your work. Please note that this is just an optional list, mostly of quantitative metrics. They may complement the qualitative metrics you have defined in the previous boxes.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||* Wiki Loves Food 2022 in India - ~ 125
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities||Number of individuals organizing programs, projects and events organized or supported by WBG
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability||Wikimedia and non-Wikimedia partners of WBG relevant to this fund proposal||2|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors||N/A||N/A|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees||N/A||N/A|
|Number of people reached through social media publications||N/A||N/A|
|Number of activities developed||Online or offline activities organized by WBG through its different programs
|Number of volunteer hours||N/A||N/A|
21. Additional core quantitative metrics. These core metrics will not tell the whole story about your work, but they are important for measuring some Movement-wide changes. Please try to include these core metrics if they are relevant to your work. If they are not, please use the space provided to explain why they are not relevant or why you can not capture this data. Your explanation will help us review our core metrics and make sure we are using the best ones for the movement as a whole.
|Number of participants||All individuals participating in different programs, projects and events organized or supported by WBG.
|Number of editors||Number of individuals editing on-line programs, projects and events organized or supported by WBG
|Number of organizers||Number of individuals organizing programs, projects and events organized or supported by WBG||11|
|Wikimedia Commons||Number of photographs uploaded
|Wikisource||Number of pages proofread in 4 proofreading competitions on Bengali Wikisource||12000|
21.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
22. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- We will use several tools to measure our metrics. The three main tools which will be used frequently and will serve most of our purposes are -
- Wiki Loves tool - This will help measure number of images, participants, new users and global uses of images on different Wikimedia sites
- Glamorous - This tool will also help measure number of global uses of images on different Wikimedia sites.
- [Montage - This tool will help judge images in the photographic competitions and help declare the winners.
- Indic-WS contest - This tool will provide the number of participants in a proofread contest, total number of pages proofread and validated, and number pages proofread by each participant.
23. & 23.1 What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 1100000 INR
23.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 14300 USD
23.3 Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- The budget can be found in this Google Sheet link
|#||Category||Line Items||No. of Units||Costs|
|Cost per Unit in local currency (INR/unit)||Total cost in local currency (INR)||Total cost in USD||Main Program contact handling the money||Notes|
|1.1||Wiki Loves Food 2022 in India||₹50,170.00||$652.21|
|1.1.1||Prizes for winners||Gift vouchers||10 persons||₹31,000.00||$403.00||Atudu|
|1.1.2||Desk Calenders||10 persons||₹230.00||₹2,300.00||$29.90|
|1.1.3||Engraved Sipper Bottles 600 ml||10 persons||₹382.00||₹3,820.00||$49.66|
|1.1.4||Design of digital certificates||₹2,500.00||$32.50|
|1.1.5||Promotion of event||Design of Facebook banner etc.|
|1.1.6||Promotion on Facebook/YouTube||₹5,000.00||$65.00|
|1.1.7||Token of appreciation for core team||Aluminum Black Bottle 720 ml||5 persons||₹510.00||₹2,550.00||$33.15|
|1.1.8||Glass memento||5 persons||₹600.00||₹3,000.00||$39.00|
|1.2||Wiki Loves Monuments 2022 in India||₹100,000.00||$1,300.00|
|1.2.1||Prizes for Winners||Gift vouchers||10 persons||₹62,000.00||$806.00||Atudu|
|1.2.2||SWAG materials||10 persons||₹15,000.00||$195.00|
|1.2.3||Special Prizes||2 persons||₹3,500.00||$45.50|
|1.2.4||Design of digital certificates||₹3,500.00||$45.50|
|1.2.5||Promotion of event||Design of Facebook banner etc.||$0.00|
|1.2.6||Promotion on Facebook/YouTube||₹10,000.00||$130.00|
|1.2.7||Token of appreciation for core volunteers and Indian jury||Sweatshirts||6 persons||₹1,000.00||₹6,000.00||$78.00|
|1||(1.1+1.2) Wiki Loves photography competitions on Wikimedia Commons||₹150,170.00||$1,952.21|
|2.1||Wiki Explores South 24 Parganas (Phase I)||₹69,500.00||$903.50|
|2.1.1||Accommodation||Hotel expense||4 days||₹2,800.00||₹11,200.00||$145.60||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.1.2||Travel||Bus fare||2 persons||₹400.00||₹800.00||$10.40|
|2.1.3||Travel||Car reservation||9 days||₹3,500.00||₹31,500.00||$409.50|
|2.1.4||Travel||Steamer hire||1 day||₹8,000.00||₹8,000.00||$104.00|
|2.1.6||Assignment||Drone operator||1 day||₹8,000.00||₹8,000.00||$104.00|
|2.1.7||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹1,000.00||$13.00|
|2.2||Wiki Explores North 24 Parganas (Phase I)||₹29,000.00||$377.00|
|2.2.1||Travel||Car reservation||5 days||₹3,500.00||₹17,500.00||$227.50||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.2.3||Assignment||Drone operator||1 day||₹8,000.00||₹8,000.00||$104.00|
|2.2.4||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹500.00||$6.50|
|2.3||Wiki Explores Howrah (Phase II)||₹8,700.00||$113.10|
|2.3.1||Travel||Car reservation||2 days||₹3,500.00||₹7,000.00||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.3.3||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹500.00||$6.50|
|2.4||Wiki Explores Nadia (Phase II)||₹25,400.00||$330.20|
|2.4.1||Accommodation||Hotel expense||4 days||₹1,600.00||₹6,400.00||$83.20||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.4.2||Travel||Car reservation||4 days||₹3,500.00||₹14,000.00||$182.00|
|2.4.4||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹1,000.00||₹1,000.00||$13.00|
|2.5||Wiki Explores Darjeeling (Phase I)||₹101,325.00||$1,317.23|
|2.5.1||Accommodation||Hotel expense||9 days||₹3,000.00||₹27,000.00||$351.00||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.5.2||Travel||Train fare||2 persons||₹5,325.00||$69.23|
|2.5.3||Travel||Car reservation to reach Darjeeling||₹5,000.00||$65.00|
|2.5.4||Travel||Car reservation||5 days||₹3,500.00||₹17,500.00||$227.50|
|2.6.6||Assignment||Drone operator||4 days||₹8,000.00||₹32,000.00||$416.00|
|2.6.7||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹1,000.00||$13.00|
|2.6||Wiki Explores Paschim Medinipur (Phase III)||₹38,700.00||$503.10|
|2.6.1||Accommodation||Hotel expense||5 days||₹1,500.00||₹7,500.00||$97.50||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.6.2||Travel||Train fare||2 persons X 2||₹300.00||₹1,200.00||$15.60|
|2.6.3||Travel||Car reservation||5 days||₹3,200.00||₹16,000.00||$208.00|
|2.6.5||Assignment||Drone operator||1 day||₹8,000.00||₹8,000.00||$104.00|
|2.6.6||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹1,000.00||₹1,000.00||$13.00|
|2.7||Wiki Explores Purba Bardhaman (Phase III)||₹38,200.00||$496.60|
|2.7.1||Accommodation||Hotel expense||4 days||₹2,500.00||₹10,000.00||$130.00||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.7.2||Travel||Train fare||2 persons X 2||₹300.00||₹1,200.00||$15.60|
|2.7.3||Travel||Car reservation||4 days||₹3,500.00||₹14,000.00||$182.00|
|2.7.5||Assignment||Drone operator||1 day||₹8,000.00||₹8,000.00||$104.00|
|2.7.6||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹1,000.00||₹1,000.00||$13.00|
|2.8||Wiki Explores Patna, Gaya, Nalanda and Rohtas (in three phases)||₹110,100.00||$1,431.30|
|2.8.1||Accommodation||Hotel expense||10 days||₹2,500.00||₹25,000.00||$325.00||Amitabha Gupta||For the first time, WBG will expand its Wiki Exploration program outside of West Bengal to the neighbouring state of Bihar|
|2.8.2||Travel||Train fare||2 persons X 2||₹1,775.00||₹7,100.00||$92.30|
|2.8.3||Travel||Car reservation||10 days||₹3,500.00||₹35,000.00||$455.00|
|2.8.5||Assignment||Drone operator||4 days||₹8,000.00||₹32,000.00||$416.00|
|2.8.6||Miscellaneous cost||Road tax, car parking etc.||₹1,000.00||$13.00|
|2.9||Documentation of Semaphore Towers||₹20,000.00||$260.00|
|2.9.1||Accommodation||Hotel expense||1 day||₹3,000.00||₹3,000.00||$39.00||Amitabha Gupta|
|2.9.2||Travel||Car reservation||2 days||₹3,500.00||₹7,000.00||$91.00|
|2.9.4||Assignment||Drone operator||1 day||₹8,000.00||₹8,000.00||$104.00|
|2||(2.1+....+2.9) Wiki Exploration Program||₹440,925.00||$5,732.03|
|3.1||Prizes for winners||T-shirts, cups, books etc.||4 competitions||₹5,000.00||₹20,000.00||$260.00||Bodhisattwa||This includes Rabimas proofread competition, 2 competitions in collaboration with Two Centuries of Indian Print project of British Library and an additional competition, the focus of which is not decided yet|
|3||(3.1) 4 proofread competitions on Bengali Wikisource||₹20,000.00||$260.00|
|4.1||Assignment||Scanning and post-processing||7,500 pages||₹4.00||₹30,000.00||$390.00||Jayantanth|
|4||(4.1) Digitization program||₹30,000.00||$390.00|
|5.1||Camera + Lens||Sony a7 III Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera body + Sony FE 24-105 mm F4G OSS-E mount lens||1||₹230,000.00||₹230,000.00||$2,600.00||Amitabha Gupta||The camera and lens are suitable for Wiki Exploration Program and will be used for future projects to document built heritage|
|5.2||Laptop||Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 2021 11th Gen Intel Core i5 14" FHD IPS||1||₹61,000.00||₹61,000.00||$793.00||Atudu||Request for laptop came from one Wikimedia volunteer, will be reassigned if it is not required|
|5.3||WiFi router||TP-Link AC1200 Archer A6 Smart WiFi, 5GHz Gigabit Dual Band MU-MIMO Wireless Internet Router||2||₹2,499.00||₹4,998.00||$64.97||These support will be provided to volunteers with good editing history and in need of good internet|
|5.4||Internet recharge||4 persons X 12 months||₹600.00||₹28,800.00||$374.40|
|5.5||Reference books||₹25,275.00||$328.58||Reference books will be purchased as requested by program persons so that they can be used to bring more quality to their programs.|
|5||(5.1+...+5.5) Logistics and Infrastructure support for volunteers and project leads||₹350,073.00||$4,550.95||See WBG assets|
|6||Contingency events, plans and expenditure not mentioned above||₹8,832.00||$114.81|
|A||(1+2+3+4+5+6) Total Program Expenditure||₹1,000,000.00||$13,000.00|
|B||Fiscal sponsorship charges to Kiwix||₹125,384.62||$1,630.00|
|T||(A+B) Grand total of money requested from this proposal||₹1,125,384.62||$14,630.00|
23.4 Please include any additional observations or comments you would like to include about your budget.
Annual plans Wiki Loves Butterfly Wiki Exploration Program Other
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.