Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Wikimedia Portugal Annual Plan 2022
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
Alchimista DarwIn trindadeneves miguelmcorreia Waldyrious Girassolei GualdimG Manuel de Sousa
- Associação Wikimedia Portugal
Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
What is your organization or group's mission?
- To contribute to the general dissemination of knowledge and culture by encouraging the gathering, creation and distribution of freely licensed content. To promote and support the projects of the non-profit organization Wikimedia Foundation with emphasis on projects in Portuguese. To establish and mantain relationships and to exchange information with other public and private, national and foreign entities, especially in the Portuguese-speaking countries and the Portuguese communities abroad.
If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
pt.wikimedia.org wikilovesearth.pt wikilovesmonuments.org.pt/ twitter.com/wikimediapt www.facebook.com/WikimediaPortugal www.instagram.com/wikimediapt/ www.linkedin.com/company/wikimedia-portugal/ www.youtube.com/c/WikimediaPortugal
Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be a title for the Meta-Wiki page.
- Wikimedia Portugal Annual Plan 2022
Where will this proposal be implemented?
Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
What are the main challenges you are trying to solve and your proposed solution?
- Associação Wikimedia Portugal (WMPT), or simply Wikimedia Portugal, is a Portuguese non-profit association, registered in 2009. The association aims at increasing awareness and use of Wikimedia projects, as well as the creation and dissemination of free knowledge in Portugal, and Portuguese speaking countries.
This is the first annual plan grant that Wikimedia Portugal is requesting, in order to improve the sustainability of the chapter and allow for longer term planning of activities and programs. After an initial very active couple of years in 2009-2012, activity of the chapter decreased significantly due to burnout and remained so until 2018. We have since begun many activities, funded through WMF (Rapid Grants, Conference Grant) and other Wikimedia affiliates (Wikimedia Switzerland and Wikimedia Germany, for example). This grant aims at funding our programs throughout the year (https://pt.wikimedia.org/wiki/Plano_de_atividades/2022), namely our Community Building and Capacitation program, that includes our second National Conference: WikiCon Portugal, and our Outreach program, including two annual Wiki Loves Competitions, Wiki Loves Earth Portugal and Wiki Loves Monuments Portugal. Our third program is the GLAM partnerships program. The Community Building and Capacitation program will allow us to continue increasing capacity in skill development for the community, particularly on Wikidata, the Wikimedia project WMPT is focusing on at the moment. The Outreach program has been one of our most successful programs with many new participants continuing to contribute to the projects after the end of the campaigns, and our partnership with CIIMAR and the Natural History Museum in Porto to host a Wiki Loves Earth photo exhibit will allow us to reach a wider network of contributors.
We have had many public and private entities manifesting interest in partnering with us, and many projects are on hold due to the lack of capacity. This grant seeks to increase our capacity in terms of GLAM partnerships, and will focus on two key partners: the National Library of Portugal, and the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon.
What is the main objective of your proposal?
- By the end of 2022, our activities shall provide 20 community members with training on advanced editing on Wikimedia projects, communication and outreach, conflict resolution, event coordination management; partnership strategies and volunteer focused capacity building activities.
By the end of 2022, we shall have trained 5 staff members of partner institutions on the use of automated tools to contribute to the wikimedia projects, enabling them to freely share their collections with the world.
Describe your main strategies to achieve this objective and the main activities you will be developing as part of these strategies.
- We aim at increasing the Chapter’s capacity to maintain and conclude projects with GLAM partners willing to donate data and media (the National Library), or integrate their data repositories with Wikipedia and Wikidata. This will be done by two Wikimedian-in-Residence positions, one at each of the key partners. These positions will be used to train staff of the partners, maintain code and documentation that will be useful for the community, and communicate between the chapter, partners and community.
We will provide training with staff at the National Library and the University on how to use tools such as Mix n’ Match, Open Refine, QuickStatements, Pattypan and others that enable the free sharing of large catalogues of media, and associated metadata. Training will also include copyright training, including the importance of free licenses for the wide dissemination of cultural works and their proper use on Wikimedia projects.
Please state if you will be carrying out any of these activities within your programs? Select all that apply.
- Organizing Meet-up online, Organizing Meet-up offline, Workshops, Train-the-Trainer, Wikimedian-in-Residence, Wiki Loves campaign
Are you running any in-person events or activities?
Please state if your proposal aims to work on any of the identified content knowledge gaps?
- Geography, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context)
Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or thematic focus.
- Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Open Technology
Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select all categories that apply.
- Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Age, Digital Access
Please tell us more about your target participants.
- Our outreach program aims at increasing participation in Wikimedia projects, particularly in areas outside the main metropolitan areas of Lisbon and Porto. Our Wiki Loves campaigns showcases ways for people to participate in their local areas by presenting sites near people’s locations that can be photographed and images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons to increase the quality and visibility of their local heritage and culture. Although the majority of participants are still newcomers, the regularity of these competitions means an increasing proportion are returning participants, and many continue to participate outside of the campaigns. We have also been providing training for senior citizens, in particular through third age universities, increasing the age diversity of Wikimedia participants.
Do you have plans to work with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
Please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- We have been working together with communities in Brazil, Spain and other affiliates. With Brazil and other groups, we have been working on strategic planning for the Portuguese speaking communities globally. Locally we collaborate with Art + Feminism and other groups to conduct edit-a-thons around Women’s Day, and we have been collaborating with WikiEditorasLX, a group of editors that started in Lisbon aiming at bridging the gender gap on Wikimedia projects.
Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
Please describe these partnerships.
- The National Library has been our partner since 2018, and has provided venues for training before, such as during the Wikidata Days training in 2019
(https://www.novasbe.unl.pt/en/whats-happening/events/events-detail/id/725/wikidata-days-2019). They will continue to do so during this year, probably hosting the Wikidata Days Conference (https://wikidatadays.wikimedia.pt/), and providing venues for training sessions provided by the Wikimedian-in-residence to be hired. The National Library has open data that is interested in donating to Wikimedia projects (https://opendata.bnportugal.gov.pt/). The Faculty of Sciences at the University of Lisbon has several projects that have as deliverables knowledge bases to be stored in Wikibase with the possibility to connect them with Wikidata. Such projects include the eViterbo website from the TechNetEmpire project (https://technetempire.fcsh.unl.pt/en/resources/)
How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
- The Wikimedian-in-residence will provide training to staff at the two institutions, allowing them to better contribute to the Wikimedia projects, using automated tools to accomplish these. This will most likely continue after the grant, as BNP has over one million items in their open data catalogue, and the eViterbo project is an ongoing project as well. The WiR will also be able to gain experience in training, allowing them to continue these activities with other partners after the grant finishes.
The WikiLoves campaigns are reaching a maturation point, where very little is needed to organize a new edition every year. This allows us to focus on the reuse of photo submissions in the projects, arranging article writing contests for monuments or natural areas where photos would then be used, and arranging for photo exhibitions to showcase the work these photographers contribute every year. In the case of WLE, this has materialized in the organization of a photo exhibition in partnership with CIIMAR, a research center from the University of Porto and the Natural History Museum, which we hope will lead to further collaboration with them.
Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- The board of Wikimedia Portugal and some of the members of the chapter will be active in implementing this proposal.
Coordination - Gonçalo Themudo (user:GoEThe), André Barbosa (user:Alchimista) Communication - Fátima Neves (user:Trindadeneves), Miguel Mimoso Correia (user:Miguelmcorreia) Wikimedian-in-residence - to be hired Wiki-loves competitions - Paulo Perneta (user:DarwIn) Site maintenance - André Barbosa, Waldir Pimenta (user:Waldyrious) Wikipedia Training - Jorge Gomes (User:GualdimG), Sofia Matias (User:Girassolei)
In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
- Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Coordinate Across Stakeholders, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here. (optional)
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- This will be the first opportunity for Wikimedia Portugal to hire staff, after 11 years of establishment.
As we have had previous experience where some of our members experienced burnout, we have since 2018 been building up step by step into this moment, trying not to overstep ourselves. The main questions we will be asking along the implementation of this grant is whether we are able to train our first staff with a fully volunteer board, if the board will be relieved of some of the administrative workload by hiring staff, or the added complexity will maintain or even increase the tasks the board needs to accomplish.
Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of participants||Includes participants in Wiki Loves campaigns (usually mostly new participants but with a large % of returning participants).
It also includes staff and other trainees at the GLAM institutions. (around 10 participants)
|Number of editors||New and returning contributors from Wiki Loves campaigns: 200
Trainees at editing workshops and edit-a-thons: 40
|Number of organizers||10|
|Wikimedia Commons||Number of photos contributed in Wiki Loves Campaigns: 20,000
Number of media from BNP and FCUL: 5,000
|Wikidata||Authority file imported from BNP||5000|
If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||N/A|
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||N/A|
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability||N/A||N/A|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors||N/A||N/A|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees||N/A||N/A|
|Number of people reached through social media publications||N/A||N/A|
|Number of activities developed||N/A||N/A|
|Number of volunteer hours||N/A||N/A|
What other information will you be collecting to learn about the impact of your work? (optional)
What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- In training sessions we will use the Programs and Events Dashboard. For Wiki Loves campaigns we use the Wiki Loves Tool on Toolforge.
How do you hope to share these results so that others can learn from them?
- Make a short presentation of the experience, Create a training workshop to show others what we learned, Share results on social media, Share results with our communities, Develop learning material for other users, Share it on Meta-Wiki
What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 57860 EUR
What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 65000 USD
Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
If you have calculated it, please provide an estimate of the year 2 or year 3 request.
Please share your budget for this proposal.
What do you do to make sure there is a good management of funds?
- Bank account is managed by three people, and any movement needs the signature of two people.
Any expense requires an invoice/receipt in the name of Wikimedia Portugal, and include our VAT number, according to portuguese law. Receipts are kept physically and uploaded to a shared folder accessible by the Board.
How will you contribute towards creating a supportive environment for participants using the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy?
- Participants will be informed of the Friendly Space Policy beforehand and at the beginning of events. There will be an Friendly Space officer at the events responsible for upholding the policy and receiving complaints.
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Staffing plan or organogram:
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.