Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/WoALUG 2022 Annual Plan of Activities
This is an automatically generated page based on the applicant's application on the Wikimedia Foundation's Grantee Portal on Fluxx.
What is the main objective of your proposal?
- By December 2022, WoALUG will increase the content quality and quantity of all Wikimedia projects and their impact on the Albanian language.
We plan to train around 410 participants to write and/or improve 1070 articles on Wikipedia and upload at least 870 items to Wikimedia Commons. Furthermore, we try to promote free knowledge and an increasing number of partnerships, editors, and community through our programs with at least 300 people participating in all the Wikimedia Projects.
What are the main challenges you are trying to solve and your proposed solution?
- Wikimedians of the Albanian Language User Group work to solve the challenges they have encountered in the three main programs: Education, GLAM, and Outreach.
For each of these programs, we have used a variety of activities, workshops, training sessions, and edit-a-thons that were functional and practical in raising awareness towards the Wikimedia Movement and its philosophy. Since the beginning, our Group has worked to solve the challenges in increasing the number of contributors, content and trying to retain and keep editors highly motivated to contribute even more to the Wikimedia projects and programs.
Even in 2022, we believe that we will continue solving these challenges by using workshops, training sessions, outreach, and social media. In 2021, we started using the Wikimedia-thematic posts on Social Media to raise people’s awareness of its programs. We are committed to continuing this way to effectively promote the Wikimedia projects, our training sessions, and workshops.
Other challenges are a lack of interest from schools and universities to write, edit, and improve articles on Wikipedia. Lack of collaboration and communication from leading cultural institutions, galleries, and museums to digitize their content online. Organizations do not continue finishing or following up with article editing.
Therefore, the proposal we want to make is to combine the online and offline workshops, use edit-a-thons, write-a-thons, competitions and use Social Media more to keep our audience engaged in creating the encyclopedic content and inform it about all the Wikimedia projects, increasing the number of contributors. To retain editors we plan to engage them in activities and workshops to be in charge of helping new users and contributors.
Furthermore, we want to align our projects with the mission of schools, institutions, and organizations by having in-person meetings with different target groups.
In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
- Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Manage Internal Knowledge, Evaluate, Iterate, and Adapt
Where will this proposal be implemented?
Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional):
If you have answered international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- Albania, Kosovo, North Macedonia
Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
Describe your main strategies to achieve the objective and the activities you will be developing as part of these strategies.
- In 2022, we plan to organize numerous types of activities based on strategic programs such as Education, Outreach, and GLAM.
With regard to Education, we want to organize activities with high school and university students for different topics to raise their awareness about the Wikimedia Movement's importance in our countries. To do so, we will develop online and offline workshops, edit-a-thon, write-a-thon, competitions in all the Albanian-speaking countries: Albania, Kosovo, and North Macedonia. Not only do we want to increase the number of articles and multimedia content, but also we want to expand it in education institutions. This is the first time we want to use the write-a-thon activities, as we want to involve more students in the Wikipedia content.
With regard to GLAM, we plan to focus on digitizing the content image and contributions with these institutions. We want to do this on the number of activities and collaborations with galleries, libraries, and museums such as Wikimedians in Residence.
With regard to Outreach, we will continue our social media activity and work with traditional media in order to reach as many types of audiences as possible.
What is your organization or group's mission?
- WoALUG was created by the Albanian community of Wikimedia projects, whose mission is to increase the quality and quantity of articles and multimedia material in Albanian and about our countries. Our program is based on three main pillars: Education, GLAM, and Open activities & outreach. We do this through training, workshops, edit-a-thons, running competitions online and offline, and GLAM partnerships in the territories of the Balkans where the Albanian language is spoken.
Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries?
Please state if you will be carrying out any of these activities within your programs? Select all that apply.
- Organizing Meet-up online, Organizing Meet-up offline, Workshops, Edit-A-Thons, Train-the-Trainer, Photowalk, WikiCamp, Contest, Wikimedian-in-Residence, Photo/Media campaign, Wiki Loves campaign, Conference/Event Organizing, Media outreach campaign, Central organizing for movement campaign.
Are you running any in-person events or activities?
Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified content knowledge gaps?
- Content Gender gap, Geography, Language, Sexual Orientation, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial.
Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select all categories that apply.
- Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Geographic, Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Socioeconomic status.
Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or thematic focus.
- Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM, Advocacy, Human Rights, Open Technology, Diversity.
Please tell us more about your target participants.
- In 2022, we are putting effort and emphasis on promoting and increasing the number of target participants among new communities within the Wikimedia Movement. We are open to working with people of different gender and socioeconomic status in supporting them as free knowledge supporters and promoters.
We have already started collaborating with new organizations and networks that aim to work with specific target purposes and audiences. We try to adapt our activities and workshops to their mission and work program. To increase content creation, we approach organizations to attract new contributors aligned with their fields of interest accordingly.
We want to include participants of different ages, professions, geography, interests, experienced, and new users. Our strategies to retain and maintain participants are:
- Wikimedia project birthdays; - Engaging users in their organizational settings to run an activity to write or edit articles offline; - Staff and community retreat; - Collaboration with important partners - partnership with potential organizations and develop long-term relationships to increase the number of contributors; - Social media postings - we acknowledge contributors’ work in our channels outside Wikimedia.
Do you have plans to work with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
Please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- We hope to continue working with all the partners we have worked with so far. For each project we have organized with different partners and organizations, we have used different communication channels.
For example, to inform our community, we have used our monthly meetings with the community and the group, social media platforms, Telegram, banners on sq. Wikipedia, community portal and collaboration of the week section on the Sq Wikipedia landing page. We have asked for activity inputs to this plan from our members on our Telegram group (WoALUG).
Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal? Please describe these partnerships.
- In 2022, we will focus on working with all the organizations, schools and institutions to strengthen the Wikimedia Movement in Albania, Kosovo and North Macedonia. Also, we are determined to expand our collaboration with other organizations to involve and engage more contributors in our community.
In general these supports have in in kind, for example them offering their offices or event meeting rooms to organize events with us or helping us to access data we needed from different institutions.
How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant.
Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Name: Greta Doçi Role: Board Member - Tirana Username: Greta Responsibilities:
Name: Arianit Dobroshi Role: Board Member - Prishtina Username: Arianit Responsibilities:
Name: Liridon Selmani Role: Board Member - Struga Username: Liridon Responsibilities:
Staff 2 people Name: Rita Maliqi and Vjollca Merdani Role: Project Manager covering Kosovo and Albania respectively Username: Ritamaliqi Username: Vyolltsa
Responsibilities: - Identify and coordinate activities, timeline, and budget to execute within the program’s grant application; - Network, research and reach institutions, organizations and individuals to create further collaborations and partnerships; - Manage activities, allocate resources, coordinate and organize duties and tasks within the timeframe; - Organize events and other promotional activities; - Develop and implement a communication plan for the User Group; - Send press releases, reach out to media and manage social media marketing to promote events, user group and the free knowledge concept of Wikipedia; - Develop and monitor user group’s reports, proposals, presentations, and other documentation; - Administer the budget, by executing, monitoring and recording expenditures.
Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here. (optional)
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- Some main points of what we learned throughout this passing year are:
We found conversations and feedback from participants very informative, and that we need to focus on developing a system for capturing these qualitative feedback and conversations we have with our participants and implement them as efficiently as we can.
We had to value, plan and develop the activities we had throughout the year according to the restrictions of Covid19 and accessibility. Most of our activities were held online so we had to make them more flexible and adjustable for the participants.
We embed developmental evaluation into our work, we take time to have monthly meetings with our community where we reflect on our past activities and discuss the following ones. These meetings bring focus and more view points to our work and the choices we make.
Members of our group took part in online meetings with the foundation as well as became part of the Edu wiki collaborators and are attending the training of trainers for reading Wikipedia in the classroom. All this to understand others experiences and be able to have a greater impact in the Albanian community.
- How to retain new and experienced editors? - What ways to follow to maintain outreach activities? - How to retain and maintain strategic partnerships that contribute to longer-term growth? - What to do to increase the number of contributors? - How to make the content reliable? - How to bond the collaboration with potential partners?
Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of participants||410|
|Number of editors||300|
|Number of organizers||5|
If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities|
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities|
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer-term growth, diversity and sustainability|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees|
|Number of people reached through social media publications|
|Number of activities developed|
|Number of volunteer hours|
What other information will you be collecting to learn about the impacts of your activities? (optional)
What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- Outreach Dashboard
- Facebook Business Suite
- Google Sheets
- Google Forms
How do you hope to share these results so that others can learn from them?
- Make a short presentation of the experience, Share results on social media, Share results with our communities, Share it on Meta-Wiki
What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 35892 EUR
What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 41635 USD
Please share your budget for this proposal.
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.