- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Project impact
- 4 Project plan
- 5 Get involved
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
What problem are you trying to solve by doing this project? This problem should be small enough that you expect it to be completely or mostly resolved by the end of this project. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
On one hand we try to improve female biographies and on the other female participation, by creating a female ecosystem in all Wikimedia projects. For example Wikipedia female biographies grabbed not only by photos in Commons, but also by their works (novels, paintings, scientific works, etc), by quotes, by Wikidata items/properties. We don't want to stop just at women Nobel Prize winners, heads of state, Oscars or Olympic champions, but we want to retrieve the story of many equally important but less well-known encyclopedic women who need to be more involved in finding sources. Especially women in that fields considered men's prerogatives like science, sport, politics. And we want to especially invite women, who, for a matter of justice, involvement and representation, are also interested in writing. We will not solve the gender gap, but it needs to be recognized as a problem by all of us in order to work together. And any little step in the direction of a greater diversity is important.
What is your solution?
For the problem you identified in the previous section, briefly describe your how you would like to address this problem. We recognize that there are many ways to solve a problem. We’d like to understand why you chose this particular solution, and why you think it is worth pursuing. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Organizing thematic events (eg. women in sports, Latin American women etc), Wikipedia Pride online editahon, participation in international campaigns and collaboration with other countries on writing female biographies, surveys, workshops in schools, educational projects.
What are your goals for this project? Your goals should describe the top two or three benefits that will come out of your project. These should be benefits to the Wikimedia projects or Wikimedia communities. They should not be benefits to you individually. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Increase female biographies and topics and encourage more women to become regular contributors to Wikimedia projects. Increase the diversity (gender diversity, geographic, linguistic and ethnic diversity, physical and mental accessability) by engaging more people of unrepresented groups to edit. Share this experience with other Wikimedians (participating in conferences, common projects, international collaboration etc).
How will you know if you have met your goals?
For each of your goals, we’d like you to answer the following questions:
- During your project, what will you do to achieve this goal? (These are your outputs.)
- Once your project is over, how will it continue to positively impact the Wikimedia community or projects? (These are your outcomes.)
For each of your answers, think about how you will capture this information. Will you capture it with a survey? With a story? Will you measure it with a number? Remember, if you plan to measure a number, you will need to set a numeric target in your proposal (e.g. 45 people, 10 articles, 100 scanned documents). Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Every our editathon has a Wikidata list to start with (women separated by occupation or nationality), a section about proposed articles and 3 different subsections: new article, article to be translated, article to be improved. We always put a template of partecipation and a template of article written during our events and collect the articles written on a complessive page (with totals). So we have a clear image about what we did before, what are we doing and what we can do more and better. Are expected monthly online editathons (also survey, challenges and collaborations) and on person editathons and contests. We aim to have 3-5 new women editors, to write minimun 250 new female biographies.
The metrics for us are very important, for track the event activity. We want to see the result for ourselves by verifying the progress made by the project, but at the same time a tool to compare with the goals to be achieved in the grant request. We use the Dashboard tool where we created WikiDonne campaign containing 20 programs (course, editathon or contest). Every our event become a program where we set up the name and the type of the event, a description withe the link at the wiki page, a start and a finish date. With this toll we track the editor number, the new articles written during the event, the improved articles, the number of bytes of the changes, the words added and the files uploaded in Commons, the visits to the articles. During the Wikimania's Hackathon I worked with the WikiEdu team improving Dashboard tool by adding a new module named Article Scoped Program to filter the events not only by user, but also by the assigned article.
We also keep a manual evidence, by including in every event page a section named Written/Improved with the list of all finished articles, a final conclusive page and a table with totals that we update every ended event.
We also use WHGI tool (download the csv file and calculate the difference between two dates), to monitor periodically the percentage of female biographies relative to the total biographies.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?
Are any of your goals related to increasing participation within the Wikimedia movement, or increasing/improving the content on Wikimedia projects? If so, we ask that you look through these three metrics, and include any that are relevant to your project. Please set a numeric target against the metrics, if applicable. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Yes, we aim to revitalize some minor Wikimedia projects by introducing challenges to stimulate people to write. Extending our collaborations with other Wikipedians to WikiQuote, WikiNews, WikiBooks, WikiVersity etc. But our first goal is the increment of the percentage of women biographies in italian Wikipedia and increase the representation. We want to create a free ebook for downloading, then print it and give it to some scools and libraries. This is a demo about how it would look like.
We want to increase female biographies by writing at least 250 new articles (for example it is possible to bluify the article about women in fashion). Almost of them are checked by notability by the projects with which we work most. We aim to develop as many stubs, to improve articles in order to solve citation needed, resources, orphans and wikification warnings. And why not, even obtain some featured article ;-).
We also aim to grow our group, by engaging 3-5 new female editors and involving some less active editors.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing? What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
What we want is to continue to do what we done before, but in a more planified and structurated way. We will carry out our project by creating the wiki pages, taking care of all the phases of contacting and organizing work with museums and catering for the on person events, online survey and pdf book creation, prints and graphics, hosting/web site creation etc.
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
- Art + Feminism on person editathon 2018. Here is what we done in 2017, part of A+F campaign.
- La mujer que nunca conociste contest 2018. Here is what we done in 2017.
- BBC 100 women campaign 2017. Here is what we done in 2016.
- Dia de las Escritoras annual editathon 2017. Here is what we done in 2016 and what we prepare to do in 2017.
- 1day1woman permanent campaign.
- 100wikidays challenge. here is what we done in 2017 for 100wikiwomen, a spin of of this challenge.
- Interwiki Women, a collaboration with Argentina and Armenia to write women' biographies.
- Olympic and paraolympic women champions, permanent editathon.
- Le Imprescindibili campaign (produce an ebook to donate to schools/libraires). A campaign started by Wikimujeres about biographies of 25 indispensable women.
- La "Violenza illustrata" (Illustrated violence). A festival about violence against women (at novembre in Bologna).
- WikiDonne's site. Hosting, site creation and graphics for the site. The site is essential not only as a presentation, but also to keep a blog and inform people about our activities, keep in touch, ask/share for ideas. The model we inspired are Wikimedia DC and Wikimujeres sites.
Total: 16.400 €
|Number of events||Description||Total Amount (EUR)|
|Women writers (Dia de las Escritoras). Last year we organized this collaboration with Wikimujeres community in 6 cities of Italy and this year the Ca' Foscari in Venice is continuing to write articles in Wikipedia concerning women writers of different geographic origin / language / culture in a university's course for students of the Triennale and Magistrale. At this courses participate 5 tutors from the BALI library at the University and about 37 students.|
|1||10 Gadgets||250 €|
|Le Imprescindibili (Las Imprescindibles). This idea was started at Wikimania Esino Lario and discussed with WikiMujeres at WikiWomenCamp 2017 in Mexico City. We did a survey on our Facebook group, find the 25 essential women biographies and organized into a book we want to print and distribute to schools and libraries. Is a international project that we hope will envolve many countries and many Wikimedia projects. This projects was started in Spanish and Italian Wikipedia, but also as a project in Wikidata.|
|100 books||Print ebook created with Creation book site option||1500 €|
|Festival "Illustrated Violence". The participation to this festival (this year is the 12th edition) with "Women House from Bologna" is important to improve that articles about violence against women, to write the missing articles ("Telefono rosa", an emergency service for women) and to train the Women.it association to go autonomous in order become wikipedians and be able to continue from themselves.|
|1||Catering (food and drinks) for 1 event.||250 €|
|BBC 100 women. We want to continue this campaign about women from the BBC serie that last year offered us contacts with the german "FilmFrauen" community and with "International Women House" in Rome. As was not a satisfactory result but Rome is a city with a great movie past behind, we want to do it better, hoping to envolve Cinecittà Studios.|
|1||Catering (food and drinks) for 1 event.||250 €|
|100 wikidays. We are connected to the international challenge ideating by Spiritia trying to envolve expert Wikipedians to write for 100 days uninterruptedly. On Wikipedia or Commons, Wikidata, Wikisource, Wikiquote or Wikinews, so aiming to catch the attention of other sister projects.|
|1||5 Gadgets||125 €|
|Women in Olympics and Paraolympics. As we have a good partnership with "Project Sport" we can bluify many women in sports articles from undoubtedly notability, as they won medals at Olympics or Parolympics games. We obtained an ottimal result in May of this year. So this time is about online engagement of the community of expert wikipedians. Will be a contest and we have experience in drafting the rules and forming the giury.|
|1||5 prizes: 1°, 2°, 3°, extra prize for an expert wikipedian, extra prize for a new wikipedian||600€|
|Art + Feminism. We want to continue this campaign for the "International Women Day", as part of this project grant, instead of many individual rapid grants. Collaborations with MAXXI museum in Rome, Ca' Foscari University in Venice, Gli Uffizi Museum in Florence etc. People from other 2 cities more than 6 from 2017 are interested in organizing this event. Are on person editathons where we want to make known outside our activities, to people interested in art (that could become new users) and to cultural institutions that are interested in making it a recurring activity for this occasion. In addition to celebrating the woman's day pleasantly.|
|8||Catering (food) x 30 persons||300 €|
|8||Catering (drinks) x 30 persons||125 €|
|8||Catering (service) x 30 persons||100 €|
|8||Printings (poster + flyers)||75 €|
|Total A + F for 8 events||6400 €|
|La mujer que nunca conociste. Seen the good response we had the last year, we want to continue this work with the Latin community. It is also a way to continue the cooperation with an important museum in Rome which is MACRO (Museum of Contemporary Art in Rome) and a way to engage both new users and expert users by offering prizes. We had not only a good number, but a good quality of articles written and our user FloraFlavia which won the Italian first prize, won also an international prize.|
|1||Food (pizza) x 15 persons||100 €|
|1||Drinks x 15 persons||50 €|
|1||Printings (poster + flyers)||75 €|
|5||Prizes: 1°, 2°, 3°, extra prize for an expert wikipedian, extra prize for a new wikipedian||400 €|
|Total LMQNC for 1 event||825 €|
|WikiDonne on the road. We also want to move on the territory, planning to do 4 editathons out of our abitual location (Rome), to meet and stimulate interest in people who lives in cities that are not our center of action. We will be assist by our volunteers placed in these cities. Is also a way to make relationships with other local organizations and creating fertile ground for future collaborations.|
|4||Estimated travels||600 €|
|4||Airbnb accomodation||200 €|
|4||Snacks x 15 persons||400 €|
|4||Graphics, printings (poster + flyers)||300 €|
|Total WikiDonne on the road||1500 €|
|WikiFashion. With a structurated work the red links about women in fashion could turn into blue ones. This is also a necessary work to do on many articles not written or presented in a suitable way for Wikipedia. Example: Alberta Ferretti.|
|1||Catering (food) x 15 persons||150 €|
|1||Catering (drinks) x 15 persons||100 €|
|1||Catering (service) x 15 persons||100 €|
|1||Printings (poster + flyers)||100 €|
|5||Prizes: 1°, 2°, 3°, extra prize for an expert wikipedian||300 €|
|Total WikiFashion event||950 €|
|Site wikidonne.org. Having a site is a way to present our work, helps to communicate with people that are not so confident with wiki platform. GSuite helps to manage the site in an organized way, to manage properly our Google group, to have a shared calendar, to invite collaborators, to organize online meetings, to use professional presentations. Is a convenient service integrated on the hosting plan.|
|1||Site creation||350 €|
|1||Hosting site 1 year + site locker||125 €|
|1||GMail suite 1 year||75 €|
|Total site / year||750|
|Social Media Manager. Today it's important to communicate in many ways, including social media channels and we need not a improvised communication, but a well done one. We have a Facebook group that counts more than 600 members, a good audience that needs to be informed regularly with posts, surveys, sharing infos about wiki world. We have identified a close member of our FB group, with social media skills. Is a requirement of a better communication coming out with "Art + Feminism" and "BBC 100 women" also noted by the WMF staff that followed me in the rapid grant report. The salary is based on PIMarketing evaluation.|
|1||Social Media Manager salary 500 € x 6 month||3000 €|
- WikiSportive project, to bluify the women in sports biographies
- WikiFashion project, to bluify the women in fashion biographies
Community input and participation helps make projects successful. How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve during your project?
First of all on engaging our members on the project's talk page. Then inviting to participation on all our channels (Wikimedia projects portals, Facebook page and group, Twitter, Pinterest, Telegram and Instagram).
Please use this section to tell us more about who is working on this project. For each member of the team, please describe any project-related skills, experience, or other background you have that might help contribute to making this idea a success.
Resource person & Volunteer
|Camelia||> 10 years Wikipedia editor and Commons user, WikiDonne co-founder and member of AffCom.|
|2||Resource person & Volunteer||Beatrice||> 13 years Wikipedia editor and 11 years Wikisource editor. WikiDonne co-founder.|
|3||Volunteer||Blackcat||> 12 years Wikipedia editor and Commons administrator.|
|4||Volunteer||Alexmar983||> 6 years Wikimedia editor. I can help with one local edit-a-thon in Tuscany.|
|5||Volunteer||Ettorre||> Wikipedian from 2003. Wikimedian from 2005. I am living in Liguria.|
|6||Volunteer||Kaspo||> 12 years Wikipedian editor and 9 years Wikimedian member. I am living in Tuscany. I can organize an editathon in Pisa.|
|7||Volunteer||Marcok||> 13 years Wikipedian editor and sysop. I'll give personal support to editathons and other live events in the Veneto region (38).|
|8||Volunteer||Fcarbonara||> 6 years Wikipedian editor. I am living in Lombardy|
|9||Volunteer||Lepido||> 9 years Wikipedian editor and sysop. I am living in Emilia-Romagna - Only on-line contribution for now.|
|10||Volunteer||Geoide||> 6 years Wikipedian editor. Wikimedian from 2017. Membership of Wiki Project Med in Meta-Wiki. It's possible for this time only on-line contribution.|
|11||Volunteer||Alessandra||> 3 years Wikipedian editor, i participate in various wiki projects, especially Wikidata. Wikimedian from 2017. I am available for online contribution and some editathon and event in my area.|
|12||Volunteer||RemoRivelli||> 3 years Wikipedian editor, i participate in various wiki projects. Wikimedian from 2016. I am available for online contribution, editathon and event in my area.|
|13||Volunteer||Ferdi2005||Wikimedian from 3 years, I want to organize events (like edithatons) in Bari and in Puglia.|
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc. Need notification tips?
- WikiDonne talk
- itwiki community
- Facebok group post
- Facebok page post
- Twitter status
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Support - Slowking4 (talk) 23:10, 25 September 2017 (UTC) could also use hashtag for metrics tracking (see Wikimedia_Blog/Drafts/1Lib1Ref#Hashtags
- Support - This is a well-thoughtout project to deal with gender gap systemic bias in Italian language. --Rosiestep (talk) 18:10, 5 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Beatrice (talk) 18:55, 5 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support They are doing a great job narrowing the gender gap. They deserve support. Jaluj (talk) 01:47, 6 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support WikiDonne is doing good job to fill the gender gap. Armineaghayan
- Support It is an indispensable job. The gender gap implies a serious imbalance in the contents of wikipedia that must be corrected. Mboix (talk) 16:42, 7 October 2017 (UTC)
- It's a nice project and I believe Camelia is going to organize it very well. Kaspo (talk) 08:49, 9 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Gender gap, both of users and of content, is a serious issue, and I think ‘’WikiDonne’’ is doing a good job tackling it —Barbaking (talk) 15:52, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Because it is a proposal about gender gap, that we could share other communities, which could lead us to improve things.2A01:C50E:212C:A300:70F1:2AC5:64D:6232 20:17, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Wikidonne is doing a great job!Nattes à chat (talk) 08:46, 14 October 2017 (UTC)
- This is a well-thought out project led by an experienced Wikimedian. I look forward to see its outcome and I wish the proposers good luck! -- Rohini (talk) 07:35, 17 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support I have worked with Camelia on the Wikimedia Outreach Dashboard project during the Wikimania 2017 Hackathon and have seen her promptness towards solving the problem of tracking user specific contributions in an Event. With Camelia heading such campaign, it will certainly have huge outcome and strong impact. Sek2016 (talk) 12:55, 20 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Magioladitis (talk) 06:55, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support It is a fantastic project that makes the wiki world grow and approaches very important issues Alessandra Boccone (talk) 10:37, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Remo Rivelli (talk) 11:53, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support A needed initiative for addressing the gender gap in Wikipedia. Support it! Rossella Vignola (OBC) (talk)15:25, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 18:16, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support It was inspiring and precisious experience to collaborate with the WikiDonne team earlier this year in the frames of the CEE Spring and 100wikidays! The support is totally deserved and objectively needed. →Spiritia 22:03, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- Camelia is doing amazing work and we at Art+Feminism are so proud to call her a collaborator!
failed projects15:48, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support A good way to tackle the gender gap. Should be supported. --Gereon K. (talk) 16:33, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Wikidonne is a fundamental work for a more inclusive Wikipedia. --Imoisset (talk) 16:54, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Camelia is doing great work and Wikidonne is such an important project. --Siankevans (talk) 16:58, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support very happy to see more and more project about these subject are being organized. Very happy also to endorse their work. -Margott (talk) 17:02, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support This is fantastic . Am really very happy that to know about this wikidonne project . Great for gender gap --Aliva Sahoo (talk) 17:17, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support a bomba --Sailko (talk) 17:41, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support -Manuelarosi (talk)
- Support I love this project! Aaron Huang M.D. (talk) 04:30, 27 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support My full support for this wonderful work! Women have a place and role to play in Wikimedia projects. Alangi Derick (talk) 08:18, 27 October 2017 (UTC)
- Wikidone I would like to help guiding and assisting the participant and also involved towards various service which will help communicate with all. Ill show positive aspects of to the community, will share and care people who needs some assist. Identify issues and/or opportunities for collecting data. Explore organizational culture and help other follow the event privacy. Mohamedudhuman05 (talk) 12:21, 27 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support A huge support and really exited to learn bundles of operational ideas from the project. Goodluck Camelia and the team -Nabin K. Sapkota (talk) 15:44, 27 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support A superb project that has added immense value. Blossom Ozurumba (talk) 04:24, 28 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Camelia is doing a great job, in special way to engage the community and tackle the gender gap issue. (Amarras) 09:30, 29 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support cross project cooperation and interactions have been very useful for those engaged in reducing the gender gap. I think this is a very useful project, and the impact it will have will probably go beyond a single language.
- Support I highly appreciate the efforts done as well as the intended plans. Mervat Salman (talk) 19:20, 31 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Camelia is doing a great job, and I think this project has a great potential in helping reduce the gender gap that should not be ignored. Maor X (talk) 09:36, 1 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support This is a great project with tangible result potential, worth pursuing. Tsoukali (talk) 12:23, 1 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support I have joined Camelia in many projects.The contribution she does to make Wikimedia's goals come true, is too much appreciated and of value. -May Hachem93 (talk) 13:50, 4 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support I'll give personal support to editathons and other live events in the Veneto region. --Marcok (talk) 09:43, 20 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Lepido (talk) 13:23, 20 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Uomovariabile (talk to me) 08:58, 21 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Fcarbonara (talk) 00:49, 23 nov 2017 (CET)
- Great project Ferdi2005 (Posta) 23:03, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
- I think the project has a broad vision and can be a trigger for several enhancements to the whole wikipedia platform. Mmo (talk) 09:55, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Just read now, I think it is a very important project. May be useful to standardize biographies e.g. with a common and basic structure of paragraphs (like the project of Wikivoyage has since five years).Micheledisaverio (talk) 17:49, 25 February 2018 (UTC)