Grants:Project/ISUR/Wikipedia women and ancestral knowledge from the global south in the Colombian context
Wikipedia, women and ancestral knowledge from the global south, in the Colombian context
Wikipedia and ancestral knowledge from the global south in the Colombian context is a public and open social project for people to participate in Internet, share knowledge, access to knowledge, experiment, develop ideas and projects collaboratively, freely and openly through Wikipedia. The aim is for this project to benefit indigenous communities in terms of public social development programmes (education, access to information, participation, etc.).
This project is aimed at supporting the different processes that take place in two indigenous communities and enhance the voices and participation of women through the use of Wikipedia, so that the workshops will learn about what Wikipedia is and, additionally, other activities will be carried out to promote the development of digital skills. In the same way, the workshops will be spaces for the meeting of knowledge in which editions will be made, articles from Wikipedia will be created and improved with reliable and trustworthy sources on a specific topic and a report of experiences will be made on the exercises of technological empowerment of indigenous communities and their contribution to Wikipedia.
“Wikipedia and ancestral knowledge from the global south in the Colombian context” is a public and open social project for people to participate in Internet, share knowledge, access knowledge, experiment, develop ideas and projects collaboratively, freely and openly through Wikipedia. The aim is for this project to benefit indigenous communities in terms of public social development programmes (education, access to information, participation, etc.).
This project is aimed at supporting the different processes that take place in two indigenous communities and enhance the voices and participation of women through the use of Wikipedia, so that the workshops will learn about what Wikipedia is and, additionally, other activities will be carried out to promote the development of digital skills. In the same way, the workshops will be spaces for the meeting of knowledge in which editis will be made, Wikipedia articleswill be created and improved with reliable and trustworthy sources on a specific topic and a report of experiences will be made on the exercises of technological empowerment of indigenous communities and their contribution to Wikipedia.
Type of project
Wikipedia promotes open access to information, research and the production of learning, but how does it promote this in populations that have been or are being vulnerable, such as women in indigenous communities? Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is found in 284 languages, however, it is estimated that in the world are spoken about 6000 languages. What happens to the rest of languages on the Internet? What is their presence? What actions are being generated for speakers of these languages to participate in the Internet?
UNESCO declared 2019 as the year to celebrate linguistic diversity in the world, however, according to the statistics of Internet Users by language of Internet World Stats, the most used languages are: English, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Malay, French, Japanese, Russian and German (for more details, see Image 1 and 2). What about the other languages? To participate in the Internet, speakers of other languages must learn one of the most widely used? What actions will be carried out to live and build a diverse and multilingual website?
In Wikipedia, as in many technological projects, out of 10 publishers only one is a woman. In the same way, the articles found, at least in Wikipedia in Spanish, have been written with different sources of information as references, however, it has not been thought of integrating in some way the perception and knowledge that indigenous communities have, an approach from local knowledge with respect to other constructions, epistemologies and perceptions of the world. What happens to other knowledge, for example those possessed by members of these communities? What actions are being generated so that other knowledge is integrated into those already on Wikipedia?.
In previous exercises carried out with indigenous communities (Arhuacas and ONIC workshop) it was observed that several entries on indigenous communities in Colombia have outdated, decontextualized information and it is also recurrent to use derogatory terms to call the peoples. For example, in the Spanish Wikipedia entry for Uwa, it is said that its first name is ‘tunebo’. Tunebo inside the uwas is a derogatory way of calling someone else. According to them, their self-designation is uwa and not tunebos. This is just one of several cases we found regarding information on indigenous peoples and languages.
ISUR and Wikimedistas de Colombia
- Affiliate code
WMCO - Wikimedistas de Colombia
During the project and develop of the workshops we will work on:
- Wikipedia articles in Spanish
- Wikipedia incubator in nasa
- Wikipedia Incubator in wayuu
- Wikimedia Commons
Promotion of new practices and incentives for participation, creation of content and local visibility, and ways in which users can play a more contributory and informed role on the Wikimedia projects.
- Develop activities, integrations and workshops in which access to information technologies is democratized and Colombian indigenous peoples? are inserted into the Wikimedia movement
- Encourage the creation of articles, the evaluation and editing of existing content related to Colombian indigenous peoples, and the participation of new indigenous? editors in Wikipedia in Spanish and indigenous language incubators.
- Understand motivations and interests that allow new opportunities for social and political participation by Colombian indigenous women in Wikimedia projects.
How will you know if you have met your goals?
There will be 10 editing workshops and creation of articles for the different Wikipedias (Spanish) and incubators (wayuu and nasa) in which indigenous leaders will participate. The objective is to build work plans that involve short, medium and long term objectives with the aim of building a strong community of Wikipedia contributors and editors.
Throughout the activities and workshops, the project report 'Wikipedia, women and ancestral knowledge of the global south, in the Colombian context' will be in construction . The objective is to document good practices, challenges and an action guide so that this project can be replicated in other contexts. The planning of the workshops will be done with the communities and two work plans will be made. An agenda of topics of interest and motivations for women's participation in the social and cultural field through digital technologies. And the second works plan will , include plans to link Wikipedia to other public domains within communities, such as education and culture.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?
- Increase of contents in incubator projects in Wayuu and nasa.
- Creation of 10 articles in Wayuu for the covert project.
- Editing the homepage of the project in nasayuwe.
- Constitution and implementation of the orthographic system in nasayuwe.
- Creation of 10 articles for the incubator project.
- Editing and construction of 20 articles on indigenous languages spoken in Colombia, and Colombian indigenous peoples.
- 30 new editors for covert projects
The concrete results of this project will be agreed directly with the communities, however the following activities will be carried out
- Review and editing of articles found in Wikipedia in Spanish related to Colombian indigenous communities of origin of the women involved, as well as those related to their territories and customs.
- Review the articles of the Wikipedia in nasayuwe and add cultural and own knowledge of the topics Review the articles of the Wikipedia in wayuunaiki and add cultural and own knowledge of the topics.
- Review of the spelling used in the nasayuwe covert project.
- Implementation of the standard spelling used by the nasayuwe community.
- Planning a publications program for wikipedia in nasayuwe and wayuunaiki.
- Documentary review and digitization of documents on topics of community interest for use within the workshops.
- Workshops and meetings with indigenous communities.
- Workshops to encourage local community participation through mentoring strategies, knowledge sharing and strategic support.
- Registration of activities, systematization of the experience and construction of the report and methodologies to be implemented in the workshops.
- 10 Workshops (site rental, refreshments, mobilization of participants, lodging)
- Workshop development materials
- Communication costs (internet connection and telephone calls)
- Project coordination
Regarding budgets and items, we present them below.
|1||Consulting services and project coordination||41’042.000||13.740|
|2||Materials and inputs for workshops||2’000.000||80|
|3||Expenses for the development of workshops
- Travel (tickets, per diem and accommodation)
- Events and refreshments
- Papers, utensils and office supplies
|4||Administrative and unexpected expenses||13’208.000||4440|
Community engagement plans
These projects will have an impact because they will include the perspective of communities that have been marginalized and not included in the Internet. We will work with the women of communities and empower them with tools and knowledge to participate in Wikipedia. In addition, they will take up the Wikipedia project in their own language, a project that began but currently has no articles. The project will also be articulated to several lines of the community development plan: education, women and youth and children.
There will be full community participation in the construction of the project, its execution and culmination as co-authors, however, the five principles of Wikipedia will be pillars.
The indigenous leaders will be in charge of helping to construct the methodologies to be implemented in the workshops. Similarly, given their community participation, they will be responsible for publicizing the project through activities and also including the project in the lines of action and training projects.
With respect to the specific audience , first of all are the people interested in learning about the peoples that inhabit and indigenous languages that are spoken in Colombia. Taking advantage of the global celebration on linguistic diversity, together with the leaders we will make a compilation that will be public on Wikipedia and that will be built from the perspective and ancestral knowledge. The contents will also be for average Wikipedia users, since the construction of the contents will imply the principles of Wikipedia and in the same way, it will imply research exercises, documentary compilation and academic writing.
ISUR and Wikimedistas de Colombia
- Monica Bonilla (Mpbonillap)
- Email 1: mbonillawikimediacolombia.org
- Email 2: mpbonillapgmail.com
- Julio Gaitán. Professor in constitutional law at the Universidad del Rosario. During the last year he has been working to set up a Center for Internet and Society at this University. His approach is transdisciplinary and collaborative research on topics of juridical anthropology and juridical pluralism. He is interested in to address the challenges of internet and society under these lenses. He has a master degree on Public Law at the Autonoma University at Barcelona and did his PhD on juridical sociology at the University of Lecce, was Fellow at the Robbins Collection at California University at Berkeley.
- Dunen Muelas, young indigenous woman leader belonging to the Arhuaco Indigenous People Iku -, lawyer from the University of Rosario with experience in working with indigenous organizations at the national, regional and local levels, in scenarios of consultation such as the Permanent Table of Consultation, National Commission of Indigenous Women, High Level Instance of Ethnic Peoples and also research on issues of decolonization, analysis of armed conflicts, indigenous women in the armed conflict, women's organization, political participation, domestic service, Special Indigenous Jurisdiction, reincorporation, implementation of peace agreements, etc.
- Marbel Vanegas. She is an indigenous communicator, activist and indigenous leader belonging to the Wayuu people. She currently works as an advisor in the area of communications at ONIC (Organización Nacional Indígena de Colombia).
- Monica Bonilla. Wikimedist (User:Mpbonillap) linguist and ISUR researcher. She has worked with indigenous communities for the past 6 years on plans for literacy, digital literacy, digital inclusion, technological empowerment, linguistic and cultural revitalization. Coordinator of Indigenous Affairs of Wikimedians of Colombia.
- Juan Sebastian Quintero Santacruz, longtime Wikimedian (User:Sahaquiel9102), member of Esperanto and Free Knowledge User Group and founding member of Wikimedians of Colombia User Group. Researcher on Knowledge Dialogue between Naturales Sciences and Ancestral Knowledge in the colombian Pacific region with indigenous and afro communities.
- Wikimedians of Colombia, affiliated user group since June 2014. According to the bylaws of the group, one of the purposes is to “Promote the development of projects of dissemination of free knowledge, with a special emphasis on proposals for Colombians and those developed in native languages of the country”.