Applications are not required to be in English. Please complete the application in your preferred language.
What will be the outputs of your project and how will those outputs contribute to advancing a specific Movement Strategy Initiative
- The main goal of this grant is to engage the Arabic Community in the Movement charter. This work will be done in multiple ways. Firstly by translating related Meta pages (Which are not translated yet) into the Arabic Language. Secondly, by sharing about Movement Charter Drafting Committee (MCDC) events in the Arabic community channels like Telegram, Mailing lists of multiple Arabic user groups, Facebook, and others.
Finally, we are looking for having a personal meeting with different people from the Arabic Community some of them are Admins, new users, or have different rights in the Wikimedia community and from different regions to get to know their expertise and opinions regarding the Movement Charter (MC).
- When do you intend to begin this project and when will it be completed?
- We aim to implement this project between 27 November and 25 December 2022
- Estimated Timetable of the work:
|Task||Start date||End date|
|Meta Pages translation||28 November 2022||6 December 2022|
|In-Person Meetings||4 December 2022||11 December 2022|
|Reports and Brief writings||6 December 2022||13 December 2022|
|Final report in Arabic and English||11 December 2022||16 December 2022|
- Where will your project activities be happening?
- Meta: translation of the drafts and important material of the Movement Charter.
- Meeting platforms: one-to-one meetings to onboard the community.
- Reports creating programs.
- Are you collaborating with other communities or affiliates on this project? Please provide details of how partners intend to work together to achieve the project goal.
- This work is held by the Arabic speakers' Ambassadors, Donia, Alli, and Sandra, Where the work will be done by collaborating in doing the translations, having roles, and doing in-person meetings with people from the whole Arabic Community.
As we are, the Ambassadors, from different regions, this could help us to engage more people in the Arabic Community in MC work.
- What specific challenge will your project be aiming to solve? And what opportunities do you plan to take advantage of to solve the problem?
- The Equity in Decision-making which is #4 in the initiative of the MS. That is by engaging the Arabic community with the movement charter in different ways and then carry their feedback to the stakeholders
- What specific activities will be carried out during this project? Please describe the specific activities that will be carried out during this project.
the following pages will be translated into Arabic:
- Movement Charter/Drafting Committee/Code of Conduct
- Movement Strategy and Governance/Movement Charter Ambassadors Program/resources/templates/Ambassadors facilitation guide template
- Movement Charter/Drafting Committee/Decision-making
- Movement Charter/Drafting Methodology
- Movement Strategy and Governance/Movement Charter Ambassadors Program/Conversations
- Movement Charter/Drafting Committee/Newsletter
- Movement Charter/Ratification
- Furthermore, the following pages are partially translated so we will continue the translation:
- Movement Charter/Content
- Movement Charter/Drafting Committee/Lessons Learned
- Movement Strategy and Governance/Movement Charter Ambassadors Program/grant
- Movement Strategy and Governance/Movement Charter Ambassadors Program/FAQ
- In-person meetings: We are organizing a one-to-one meeting with 25 people in the Arabic community, from different regions, sex, and roles in the Wikimedia community.
- Sending emails, Messages on Social media channels and groups and in Al-Maydan (village pump) of Arabic Wikipedia.
- Writing final briefs and reports in English for the meetings, according to Wikimedia Foundation Law for meetings.
- The Final reports will be Available in Arabic and English.
Outreach: While we are working on translations, we will make sure to reach out to the communities and inform them about the upcoming engagements. MCDC community workshop: We will host one-to-one online workshops to share the details of the Movement Charter with our community members.
- How do you intend to keep communities updated on the progress and outcomes of the project? Please add the names or usernames of these individuals responsible for updating the community
Individuals that will be responsible for outreaching the community:
The outreach will be through; the formal Facebook group, the formal telegram group, and the announcement page on Arabic Wikipedia.
- Who will be responsible for delivering on this project and what are their roles and responsibilities?
All of us will share all responsibilities; translations, presentations, making google forms, taking notes, analyzing data, and writing the final report. the special thing is that Each one of us comes from a region in the Arab world different than the other so this will help us to cover all the Arabic communities.
- If your activities include community discussions, what is your plan for ensuring that the conversations are productive? Provide a link to a Friendly Space Policy or UCoC that will be implemented to support these discussions.
- We will abide by the Friendly space policies of Wikimedia.
- If your activities include the use of paid online tools, please describe what tools these are and how you intend to use them.
- For online meetings (for preparation and for community conversations) we will use google meet or Jitsi.
- For taking notes, we will use google docs.
- For assigning tasks, we will use google sheets.
- For collecting written feedbacks fron people who cannot attend the online conversations, we will use google forms.
- Do your activities include the translation of materials, and if so, in what languages will the translation be done? Please include details of those responsible for making the translations.
- yes, Arabic Language
After your activities are complete, we would like to understand the draft implementation plan for your community. You will be required to prepare a document detailing this plan around a movement strategy initiative. This report can be prepared through Meta-wiki using the Share your results button on this page. The report can be prepared in your language, and is not required to be written in English.
In this report, you will be asked to:
- Provide a link to the draft implementation plan document or Wikimedia page
- Describe what activities supported the development of the plan
- Describe how and where you have communicated your plan to relevant communities.
- Report on how your funding was spent
Your draft implementation plan document should address the following questions clearly:
- What movement strategy initiative or goal are you addressing?
- What activities will you be doing to address that initiative?
- What do you expect will happen as a result of your activities? How do those outcomes address the movement strategy initiative?
- How will you measure or evaluate your activities? What tools or methods will you use to evaluate your activities?
To create a draft implementation plan, we recommend the use of a logic model, which will help you and your team think about goals, activities, outcomes, and other factors in an organized way. Please refer the following resources to develop a logic model:
- Overview of logic models on Meta-wiki
- Example logic models for reference for other movement activities (such as partnerships and edit-a-thons)
- Blank logic model template on Google Drive
Please confirm below that you will be able to prepare a draft implementation plan document by the end of your grant:
- I confirm
Optionally, you are welcome to include other information you'd like to share around participation and representation in your activities. Please include any additional outcomes you would like to report on below:
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
- Translation (translation costs for briefs and global materials): $965 USD
0,09 USD per word, and based on about 10360 words that will be translated.
- Data analysis and report writing + preparation for online conservation, doing a Reports for in-person meeting and a final repot: $750 USD (30 Hours, at a rate of 25 USD/hour)
This includes preparing for online conservations and discussions, preparing online forms to gather feedback, taking notes, analyzing the feedback, and writing reports and briefs.
- Online one-to-one interviews: $200 USD / we will do 25 online meetings with people in the community (30-40 minutes, at a rate of 16 USD/hour) per meeting
- Online tools or services (subscription services for online meeting platforms, social media promotion): No (We will use Open source aor free online platforms such as Jitsi)
- Data (internet or mobile costs for organizers or participants to access or participate in activities): $110 USD
- Venue or space for meeting (costs of renting a physical meeting space): No (All conversations will be held online).
- Other: $150 USD
TOTAL AMOUNT REQUESTED USD: $2175 USD
An endorsement from community members (especially from outside your community) will be part of the considerations when reviewing your application. Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I trust this team will collaborate together to achieve the goal of the ambassador's program. The 3 applicants are active and known to the community, which makes it easier for them to engage with the community. I will support them across the project timeline, hoping they will continue to support the MCDC project. Mervat (talk) 20:35, 29 November 2022 (UTC)
- Well-known users to the ar.wiki community, as well as in the Wikimedians of the Levant and Egypt user groups. I endorse and support them--باسم (talk) 21:16, 29 November 2022 (UTC)
- Trusted & active users for the Arabic community and I believe in their mission.--ولاء (talk) 02:26, 30 November 2022 (UTC)
- I have known Donia has a passionate volunteer. She had an interactive session with our volunteers some time back and it was quite helpful. I endorse this project on behalf of the DCW. ─ The Aafī on Mobile (talk) 04:29, 30 November 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support This project will increase the inclusion and sense of belonging of the Arabic community and also increase the quality of translated contents on the Arabic Wikipedia.--سامي الرحيلي (talk) 06:12, 1 December 2022 (UTC)