Grants:Project/Rapid/لا روسا/2017 WISE Summit
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- I hope we can make this new challenge, after our experience in Egypt and Jordan, and encourage Qatari schools and universities to start their programs to be a part of eduction process in the Arab World, and increase the Arabic content on Wikipedia and decrease the gender gap. I can give more than workshop to teach the people how to edit Wikipedia and I have created my own brochure of editing Wikipedia for students in WEP and everybody who would like to edit Wikipedia without problems. This project aims to recruit new editors who are able to edit many articles and by experience and my help, they can give our Arabic Community high quality content, like which I do with my students in Egypt, who are already nominated 11 featured and good articles only for this term (Feb-August 2017).
- As a result of our activity, more people will be introduced to Wikipedia Education Program and more programs will start in new places. Consequently, contributions in Arabic Wikipedia will increase the gender gap in participation percentages will decrease. Also, I can organize side activities during this conference and connecting with specific people, sharing learnings and insights.
- 2 years ago, we weren't able to give presentation or workshop due to late registration and over and full table. But this year, we have the opportunity to do that, even we don't receive any response till now.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Attending sessions and do presentation, meetup or workshop in and outside the conference, beacuse current slogan is Co-Exist, Co-Create: Learning to work and live together, and this is exactly what I want to do with Wikipedia and Commons.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- By posting announcement, publications and notifications in my local community, official wikipedian social media and in the conference's page itself.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By online sessions normally as I do with my students in Egypt.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants 20-30
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable) 100
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable) 50
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- About this Summit.
- Registration before August 31 is 750 USD, after that will be 1500 USD.
- Pillars of this Summit.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|Accommodation x 5||$600|
- Travel (round trip airfare from Cairo to Doha)
- Travel and accommodation costs are approximate estimates.
- Booking flights and hotel.
Support This will be a great chance for the Arabic community to start the Wikipedia education program in Qatar and the gulf area. Walaa had a great experience in the education program so she is the one who can explain it and describe the goals, impacts and benefits of the program. Ahmed Mohi El din (talk) 08:56, 28 August 2017 (UTC)
Support I'm happy to support this request and work with Walaa to prepare for any presentations or workshops, and support any outeach or follow up. I'm not sure if this should be a Rapid Grant or a Travel and Participation Support request, but will follow this space to see how I can be helpful. Tighe Flanagan (WMF) (talk) 16:29, 28 August 2017 (UTC)