Grants:Project/Rapid/AGRIPO/Wiki-agripo 2.0 : edit-a-thons on villages in the far north of Cameroon
Caused by the ravages of violent conflict, extreme poverty, underdevelopment and climate change, the crisis in Africa’s Lake Chad Basin is affecting more than 2 million people across the Cameroon’s Far North. In solidarity with this region, AGRIPO currently seeks to provide encyclopedic information on the villages of the Cameroon’s Far North and improve content in the planning, implementing and evaluation of their local programs. AGRIPO is leading a community team of editors working in providing contents on villages and plants in Cameroon.
Titled #Wiki-agripo 2.0, the aim is to share and spread documented information on villages of the Cameroon’s Far North through a serie of group-editing. The goal of the project is to:
- Add content on more than 500 villages of Cameroon’s Far North on Wikipedia (On november 22th, the region has 152 articles on villages). So the progress will be more than 77% of increased number of articles.
The page for the initiative on the French Wikipedia remain the same plateform.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
With the technical support of Wikipedia contributors, Agripo (Agriculteurs Professionnels du Cameroun), headquartered in Tayap (Nyong-et-Kéllé), will organise a serie of 4 editathons, from 1st December 2017 to 30th January 2018, encyclopedic writing and digital publishing collaborative editing under the theme of #Wikivillages of the Cameroon's far north.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Create a simple social media communication to share the results
- Scholars’ facility for villages of the Cameroon's far north. AGRIPO will involve 5 to 10 contributors in a collaborative editing to build free-use knowledge accessible on the villages of the Cameroon's far north in French language.
- Wikipedia Development by the articles on the villages of the Cameroon's far north could help on humanitarian activities. AGRIPO will improve online knowledge and information database on Cameroon's far north in the French version of Wikipedia.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
The project will be organised by a national team who centralise the content, mobilise writers and communicate on common sharing information, and will organise the social media visibility. The project will be based at AGRIPO in Cameroon, a professional organisation active in rural development activities in Cameroon, but well-known at international level. The organising team will be responsible for mobilisation actions and social media surrounding the project. The organising team - supported by an international team of Wikipedia activists - will encourage contributors to write and improve articles on the villages of Cameroon's far north during the project period. They will lead the scholarship selection.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
This project constitutes a continuation and expansion of a successful program already in place (Wikivillages), on which the basic processes, networks, and groundwork are based to advance development and knowledge issues by involving specific students in a focused initiative.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
Set up and rollout of the local editing process
- Set up monitoring processes to improve contributions
- Dissemination of results
- Provide and distribute scholarships to contributors.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
On this aim, the global activities will be:
Project management and administration
- Follow the Wikipedia page of the [Category of the villages of the Cameroon far north]
- Create communication systems for reports and evaluation metrics
- Monitor statistics and entries
- Maintain communication with partners including relevant staff at Wikimedia Foundation
- Evaluate the project as a whole
Budget and administration
- Build and operate financial structure and control
- Full financial report and governance.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Minimum of 4 events
- Minimum of 10 participants
- Minimum of 6 new editors
- Minimum of 500 new articles
- Minimum of 2 repeat participants (for the series of edit-a-thons)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
Other supporting people
Additional resources that will benefit the project and ensure its initial success is that it:
- Will be operated by AGRIPO in Cameroon which has a well-known history of supporting rural development activities through its projects.
- With the project managed by AGRIPO, it can take advantage of an established track record in managing grants and partnerships with international donors and partners like United Nations or WWF with proof of satisfaction.
- The project will benefit of the notoriety of AGRIPO in the country.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Project budget table
|Category||Item description||Number of units||Unit||Unit price||Budget (euros)||Comment|
|1||Communication||In-country communication||per item||2||100||200|
|2||Communication||Internet connexion||per month||4||50||200|
|3||Travel||In-country Travel||per travel||4||30||120|
|4||Scolarships||Follow up and awards||general cost||10||75||750|
|5||Additional elements||Contingency||general cost||100||100|
|6||Human resources||Project management||per month||4||300||1200|
- Total cost of project
- 2 570 euros
- Total amount requested
- 2 000 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Additional cost of this project is funded by utilising existing resources at AGRIPO.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I am confident on your Wonderful job.