Grants:Project/Rapid/AGRIPO/Wiki-agripo 6.0 : edit-a-thons on villages in the North Cameroon/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- The goal of Wiki-agripo 6.0 was to add content on more than 300 villages of Cameroon’s North on Wikipedia by 7 to 9 contributors. Overall, we are happy with the project because 10 contributors shared more than 305 articles related to North Cameroon (progress of more than 100%). The participants have continued to add articles on villages of North Cameroon since the project ended.
- The villages of North Cameroon are listed in the [Category of the villages of the North Cameroon]
Please report on your original project targets.
- Project metrics
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Minimum of 4 events||5 events organised with the co-editing of more than 10 articles per event. Contributors continue editing between editing events||Dates of editing events
|Minimum of 10 participants||11 participants are involved.||9 participants are newly involved. The participation is maintained at this level due to the Coronavirus measures.|
|Minimum of 6 new editors||9 new editors|
|Minimum of 300 new articles||More than 305 new articles||New contributors were very engaged in creating articles on North Cameroon unless that they are new editor and the region has limited available free-use information. Unfortunately, they were limited by the intransigence of the administrators of wikipedia in French who lacked flexibility, tolerance, benevolence and openness to the African context which is far behind in the world encyclopedia. Some examples of pages of created articles are blocked by mean administrators as there [Example 1 of page blocked by the french administrator] or there [Example 2 of page blocked by the french administrator]. Dozens of pages have been deleted demotivating at the same time the team of contributors. We decided to extent the activity on december to achieve the results although this situation.|
|Minimum of 2 repeat participants||2 repeat participants trained the new contributors|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We mobilise 22 interested participants on our volunteerism mechanism -- many people were less skilled to write articles on Wikipedia. However only 9 new editors with limited wikipedia skills succeed to publish hundreds articles online
- Overall quality of the Cameroon portal need to continue to be improved. The Cameroon portal has 11 143 articles now and it is the second portal in Africa, after Algeria.
- What didn't work?
- Finding free-use information on rural area like villages is very complicated. Therefore, participants had to collect available information to maintain dynamic. It still remains a more difficult task for beginners.
- What would you do differently next time?
- This experience helps us to continue to develop new engaged contributors. This proven strategy is effective and productive and we will continue to invest in a progressive turn-over of small team of engaged contributors to consolidate impact and results.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Communication (bills 1 to 6)= 350 000 Fcfa ($ 656.20 USD)
- Travel (bill 7 )= 200 000 Fcfa ($374.97 USD)
- Edit-a-tons sessions (bill 8) = 1000 000 Fcfa ($1874.87 USD)
- Coronavirus facilities ( masks, desinfectant) (bill 9) = 25 000 Fcfa ($46.87 USD)
Total: $2952.92 USD. Additional cost are supported by Agripo. In addition, Project management cost like human resources of this project is funded by utilising existing resources at AGRIPO.
NB: Grant was received in XAF and all expenses are paid in XAF (local currency in Cameroon). The exchange rate applied is 1 XAF = 0.00187487 US$
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- No remaining funds.
Anything else you want to share about your project?