Grants:Project/Rapid/Anthere/CC Summit 2019
Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Expand network of potential partners
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- The CC Global Summit is held every year. Hundreds of leading activists, advocates, librarians, educators, lawyers, technologists, and more join for discussion and debate, workshops and planning, talks and community building. I would like to attend to present some of the work done with schools, WikiFundi and offline tools, and finally extend les sans pagEs network by presenting the activity of our group if there are francophone speakers attending.
- Why CC ? because this organization is part of Wikimedia friends and it's important to foster relationships and launch collaboration between Wikimedia and cc
- Why this year ? Because it is held in Lisbon which is a nearby city from where I live (2018 and 2017 were in Toronto) so a good opportunity (cheaper and easier to attend)
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
- I have two approved sessions
- "Using offline tools to build open content and introducing CC" in the 'Building the Commons' track : 15 mn lightning talk
- "Developing an Open Knowledge Curriculum for Senior School" in the Open Ed/Sci/Access. This is a workshop session of 60 mn
- The final program will be announced in March but I received confirmation of the two sessions
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- Aside from the two above listed sessions, networking is mostly scheduled.
- I will be plugging m:WikiFundi and I am sure I'll find opportunities to do demos
- I am also of a mind to possibly organize a Les sans PagEs Méditerranée get-together, but that depends on the easiness of finding the time and space to meet.
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- there is a cc mailing list, I can mention an additional outreach activity during my sessions, there may be a message board as well. Relying on other known people at CC to relay.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- not yet really as I am waiting on the program to be published. But it shall go in the direction of organizations relevant to what I will present (Wiki in Education; WikiFundi) and of Gender issues.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- include contacts in my contact database... (I write once or twice a month a message to the LSP Med contacts for example; a couple of times a year newsletter to all contacts)
- connect on social media to continue conversations online
- hopefully identify a couple of opportunities for specific collaborations
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of presentation attendees: 100
- Number of new potential partners: 5-8
- Number of outreach activity participants: 20
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- None. I have asked a CC scholarship, but unfortunately, it was declined (I fear I do not come from a priority area..). I have informed CC that I would be applying for a WMF travel grant and informed them that should it be declined, they would have to remove me from the program.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- The event is 3 days. 9-11 of May. I estimate I will travel on the 8th and the 12th. This means 4 hotel nights and food and local travel for 3 days.
- Travel : 300 euros. It is currently possible to find flights at a lesser price but I expect those flights will not be available any more when/if the grant is approved. Train does not seem to be a valid option (it is currently not possible to look at proposition as the event is in over 2 months, but total price seems to be around 300 euros anyway).
- Registration to CC event : 280 euros (this is 295 USD). This fee covers breakfast, lunch and snacks on site the 3 days.
- Food and local transport : 60 euros (this will be for dinner and local travel)
- Hotel: 480 euros (this is a rough estimate for 4 nights. CC organizers told me to count 200 euros per night, but I hope to find some dorms or cheap hotel or rbnb)
Total : 1120 euros. Note that this would be the maximum. I propose to advance the amount and get reimbursed afterwards based on real expenses. If I get an early positive answer, it is most likely that travel and possibly hotels would cost less.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!