Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content on women in infrastructure and technology
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- A three day training/edit-a-thon would be hosted within the time scope to fulfill the purpose of this project. A day for the training and introduction to editing on wikipedia, two days for the edit-a-thon.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Active Whatsapp groups for Wikimedians in Nigeria are adopted in sharing the information as well as the promotion of electronic flyers would be used to intimate existing editors and engage intending editors about the project. The project has been announced on the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria discussion pages.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Social media channels like whatsapp, telegram and twitter would be used in promoting this project. Texts and graphics about details of the project would be detailed therein.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- Yes. In addition to myself as an experienced volunteer editor who has organized a project (Photo Tour of Urban Green Spaces in Lagos State) and also participated in quite a number of projects/programmes, some other experienced wikimedians would be invited to lead and co-ordinate the event and train participants.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes. Editors would have to bring along internet enabled mobile phones, tablets or laptops for this project and also must have a basic knowledge of the computer. We would be providing participants with fast speed internet.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Participants would be added to the online support groups to share more information about the movement, hereby developing their skills in editing and community engagements. Questionnaires would also be shared post training to harvest the thoughts of participants so areas of improvements can be identified and issues where they find difficult while editing can be addressed. An outreach dashboard which is a wiki tool would be used to track every contribution of participants on the project to ensure the overall goal is achieved.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/128CuUOLOKB5dt-YcSasN0sEr1NM-3nWoR5i9Ii7jhmc/edit?usp=sharing 8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project would help in increasing content on women in infrastructure and technology that are not or under represented on the free encyclopedia. It will also increase the interest of more females within the community, hence bridging gender gap and promoting diversity.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 3
- Number of participants 25
- Number of new editors 10
- Number of articles created or improved 100
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human Resources
- User:ReoMartins Team Lead - A wikipedia volunteer and environmental journalist who has previously been in the executives at the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin and has co-organized various wikipedia projects such as the Wikipedia@20, Wiki Loves Africa 2020, Art+Feminism 2021. He was the lead organizer of the photo tour of urban green spaces in Lagos State. He would be in charge of onboarding new editors for the project.
- User:Timmylegend - A Wikipedia volunteer and open knowledge advocate, who previously led the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin. He is experienced in hosting wikipedia projects and has organized various campaigns such as Art+Feminism, 1Lib1Ref, Wiki Loves Africa, Nigeria Expedition, Explore Nigeria and Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos. He would be one of the event facilitators in training the participants.
- User:Haylad - Wikipedia volunteer and trainer who has organized multiple meet-ups and Wiki Loves Africa Photo Walks/Event at the University club in Ilorin and Ado-Ekiti. He also organized the Afrocine Nigeria Writing Contest Nigeria in 2020 and 2021. He would also be facilitating the training session at the event.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Workspace = $150 x 3 = $450
- Equipment Rental = $150
- Local Transport = $100
- Facilitators Travel (From outside Lagos) = $100 X 2 = $200
- Accommodation = $100 X 3 = $300
- Lunch = $10 X 25 = $250 X 3 = $750
- Internet and Communications = $200
- Prizes = $150 (Top 5 Editors)
- SWAGS (Notebooks, Bags, Shirts, Pen) = $200
- Roll-up Banner = $60
- Miscellaneous = $100
TOTAL = $2,660
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support I am super excited tbis project's aim is to bridge gender gap on Wikipedia. Additionally, it'll also help to recruit new female editors which is towards actualisation of equality and empowerment of women. I am optimist about this goal and the huge accomplishment ahead. James Moore200 (talk)
- Strong support Timmylegend (talk) 06:47, 30 March 2022 (UTC)