Grants:Project/Rapid/Atudu/Wiki Loves Butterfly/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
While preparing the report of this phase of Wiki Loves Butterfly or WLB project (20 October 2016 to 30 April 2017), we are in a satisfactory position in meeting our project goals. As per our project goals:
- We have contributed a good number of Butterfly of West Bengal, India related photo documentation in Wikimedia Commons.
- We have so far created and subsequently developed a good number of related Wikipedia articles in Bengali and are still in process of developing them on regular basis.
- Many of Butterfly species of West Bengal covered and documented by us are rarely or very rarely found in the butterfly infested hotspots of West Bengal.
- We have also achieved our aim at broad spectrum of outreach and knowledge sharing and collaborating with special interest groups inspiring more new users and contributors for Wikipedia.
- Awareness of our project among various communities of Wikipedia is also maintained by us on a satisfactory level.
- Special interest group people like reputed Lepidopterists and butterflies experts of the state and abroad have been incorporated in our project who actively collaborated with us and contributed in Wikipedia by way of uploading butterfly related quality photographs and performing identification of the species.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Uploading 800 images to Wikimedia Commons||Uploaded 617 images to Wikimedia Commons||Predominance of prolonged bad weather presented lesser species to be photographed.|
|Over 100 articles to be created and developed.||104 articles created and developed in Bnwiki and 6 articles in Enwiki are expanded so far.||Nice team work and work load distribution.|
Global Metrics and Other Metrics
The metrics counts of this project are described below:
|1. Number of active editors involved||10|
|2. Number of newly registered users||17|
|3. Number of individuals involved||29|
|4a. Number of new images/media added to Wikimedia article pages||273 (44.25%)|
|4b. Number of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||617|
|4c. Number of Valued images||35|
|4d. Number of Quality images||11|
|5. Number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects|
|5a. In Bengali Wikipedia||104|
|5b. In English Wikipedia||6|
|6. Number of bytes added to and/or deleted from Wikimedia projects (absolute value)||1,022,404 byteson BnWP and 3000 bytes on EnWP|
|7. Total Number of Species Documented||163|
|7a. Number of Papilionidae||22|
|7b. Number of Pieridae||18|
|7c. Number of Nymphalidae||62|
|7d. Number of Lycaenidae||43|
|7e. Number of Riodinidae||5|
|7f. Number of Hesperiidae||13|
|8. Total Number of Sub-Species Identified||26|
|9. Learning question: Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
Yes, our project has very satisfactorily motivated the Wiki contributors. Different contributors has started uploading images in Commons, a few contributors has started translating the articles in English and German languages.
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well?
Our active and agile team members; dedicated attempt to difficult photo shooting and total focus towards the project target.
Photographic team's work: The WLB project has collaborated with a good number of professional photographers who have great equipment for macro photography. Apart from butterflies, they have also contributed images of different insects, birds, animals, places, geographical features of places so on in Commons. Thus the WLB project has build up an enthusiastic team of photographers who contribute to Wikimedia commons.
Creation and expansion of articles in Bengali: This project has created and developed more then 100 articles on butterflies on the Bengali Wikipedia with proper citations which has upheld the very moto of Wikimedia movement of knowledge development and sharing. Moreover, work has already started on behalf of Wiki-editors of other language communities to translate the said Bengali articles on English and Germany language.
Coordination and relationship building: The project has build up a nice coordination and relationship with renowned lepidopterists, butterfly experts, scholars and even reputed writers of books on Butterflies. Their collaboration and active participation in WLB project by way of photo uploading, species and sub-species level identification, article creation etc. has enriched Wikipedia. The species and subspecies level identification and reviewing of article creation have been undergone by expertise lepidopterist and subsequently there is minimal chance of mis-identification and improper citation.
Outreach: The purpose of outreach and collaboration with special interest groups is nicely served as almost all these reputed butterfly experts, writers and researchers are now active Wikipedian and WLB project team members. Here the names and identity of these reputed figures:
- Dr. Krushnamegh Kunte:He is a faculty at the National Centre for Biological Sciences(NCBS), Bengaluru, as a Ramanujan Fellow. A renowned lepidopterist, author of many books and research papers on butterfly. 
- Mr. Arjan Basu Roy: Butterfly experts, curator of different butterfly garden and parks maintained by the Govt. of West Bengal, Writer on Butterflies. He is also a founding member of a nature club called Nature Mates.
- Mr. Tarun Karmakar: Project Trainee of National Centre for Biological Sciences, specialist in butterfly taxonomy.
- Mr. Hemanth Ogale: Noted lepidopterist, macro photography expart attached with Malabar Nature Conservation Club, an NGO from Amboli, which conducts environment awareness programs in the local school 
- Mr. Rudra Prasad Das: He is a doctoral research fellow, doing research on butterfly communities of West Bengal. He is also attached with UNEP-GEF-ABS Project under The West Bengal Biodiversity Board as a Technical Assistant.
- Mr. Judhajit Dasgupta: Butterfly expert and first writer of books on Butterfly in Bengali language.
Species identification in Commons: We have also identified the species of butterflies found in India and Bangladesh categorized as Unidentified Lepidoptera by country and put good number of them into properly in identified categories.
What did not work so well?
Multilingual approach: A good number of article creation and expansion and or development has done in Bengali language; English and German version started; but not done or started on multilingual basis.
Imbalance ratio: We have faced another trouble in this project because of the lesser number of article writer in comparison with photographers. Scientifically supported article writing on species in regional language is too difficult a job rather than writing general articles.
Weather condition: Peak butterfly season of March frequently damaged by prolonged spell of rain, overcast, cyclonic wind etc; Butterfly population largely suffered,damaged and the destroyed. Their appearance become scanty.
Shortage of Time: 6 months time span as butterfly project duration is too little room as it takes a great length of time in photo documenting butterfly, life cycle and behavioral activities covering different time slabs of the year depending upon the weather challenges, dull season, mid season, peak season etc of butterflies.
What would you do differently next time?
Please see the plan below
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- 1 INR = 0.016 USD
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Our expenditure exceeded. In our proposed budget we mentioned of Rs.46,399 (698.04 USD) as expected expenditure. But due to seasonal increase cost of transportation, accommodation and food and other related charges in the areas covers the budget has exceeded most naturally. Our total expenditure has amounted to Rs.54,154 (840.18 USD). We have no money remaining in the fund. We have spent the extra (Rs. 54,154-46,399=7,755 i.e 120.11 USD) from our own pocket.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- The proposed Edit-a-thon: We will organize the event later as the members of the expertise special interest groups (those lepidopterist scientific group with whom we have planned to perform the edit-a-thon) are presently too busy with their lepidoptera related field works and laboratory works. Moreover, we had got less time to arrange such big and special event like Edit-a-thon since presently we remained thoroughly engrossed in photo uploading; article developing, identification process after our project field work. Along with this, we remained busy in preparing our final report and financial statement etc.
Valued and quality images gallery
- As per our findings of available species of butterfly in West Bengal we have so far photo-documented 163  of which species we have snapped in both Open and Close wing posture (Ventral and Dorsal view). The rest are shot either Open or Close wing posture. Such specific and detailed photo-documentation is highly time consuming and too difficult as many butterflies are very occasionally found sitting in open wing posture, while many, in closed wing posture. According to Lepidopterists of West Bengal has more than 350 species of butterflies available. We cherish the wish of completing our photo documentation as well as article creation and development along with proper citations of the remaining species. But that need plenty of time good financial support as we shall have to move to different butterfly hotspots again and again throughout different time zones of the year. Hence, a 9 month long project time span for the second part of WLB project could be very effective in meeting broader target.
- Next time, we shall go nicely and more effectively with the things that already worked well this time; apart from this, we would have special focus on the points which have not worked well in this part of the project, viz
- In future course of this project we are hopeful of multilingual versions done by editors of different language communities.
- We do hope of finding more article writer in future course of this project.
- "Global uses of images".
- "Number of new images in Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- "Valued images from Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- "Quality images from Wiki Loves Butterfly".
- "List of Articles".
- "Wiki Loves Butterfly character count".
- "Faculty of National Centre for Biological Sciences".
- "Principal investigator of Biodiversity Lab: biodiversity research and conservation in the Indian Region".
- "The Butterflies of India team".
- "Nature Mates's Official Website".
- "Project Trainee of Biodiversity Lab: biodiversity research and conservation in the Indian Region,National Centre for Biological Sciences".
- "The team of UNEP-GEF-ABS Project under The West Bengal Biodiversity Board".
- "Check list for the documented species".