Grants:Project/Rapid/Atudu/Wiki Loves Butterfly Part-II/Interim Report
Interim Report of WLB Part-II
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Standing at the mid portion of Wiki Loves Butterfly Part-II project we belong to a satisfactory position in meeting our project goals. As per our project goals:
- We have contributed a good number of butterfly photo documentation in Wikimedia Commons. We have documented on species and subspecies level and also made many complete series of Ventral and Dorsal view which correctly help identification even in subspecies level.
- We have so far created a number of related articles in Wikipedia and the process is ongoing. As because, we have covered a broader zone of butterfly in habitation in this phase covering different districts of West Bengal, we remained too engrossed in total documentation of the different parts of the West Bengal during last 5 months; which results in lesser time for huge article creation during this period. But presently, we have many more article ready waiting to be uploaded in turns.
- In this phase, we have worked broadly and categorically district wise level in covering the state of Wiki Loves Butterfly. This district wise documentation become highly required for varying of species and subspecies level with the difference of territory. Of the 23 districts of West Bengal we have already covered 11.
- In this part-II project we have also contributed in Wikidata and Wikispecies as proposed.
- The prospect of outreach and knowledge sharing has touched a great water mark in this phase, as we participated, discussed and oriented in the National level Butterfly meet organised by Butterfly and Moths of Sikkim-Nature Conservation Society (BAMOS-NCS) And Butterflies of North Eastern India Group in Dzongu Valley, North Sikkim which congregated the butterfly enthusiasts all over India. We have invited them all in the world of Wikipedia as well as opened new avenues of Wikimedia butterfly projects with enthusiasts of the other states of India. Our deliverance of the Wiki Loves Butterfly project SWAG materials along them had created a great sensation and overall awareness of this project. A brief report of this event has been already notified beforehand here.
- More over, we sent SWAG materials (Post cards) relating to the participants of Wikimania 2017 in Montreal, Canada with a view to reach out to wiki editors of different countries about the project.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
Global Metrics and Other Metrics
The metrics counts of this project are described below:
|4a. Number of new images/media added to Wikimedia article pages||372 (46.44%)|
|4b. Number of images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||741|
|4c. Number of Valued images||55|
|4d. Number of Quality images||31|
|5. Number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects|
|5a. In Bengali Wikipedia||126 |
|5b. In English Wikipedia||29|
|6. Number of bytes added to and/or deleted from Wikimedia projects (absolute value)||1166516 byteson BnWP|
|7. Total Number of Species Documented||178|
|7a. Number of Papilionidae||24|
|7b. Number of Pieridae||18|
|7c. Number of Nymphalidae||65|
|7d. Number of Lycaenidae||46|
|7e. Number of Riodinidae||5|
|7f. Number of Hesperiidae||20|
|8. Total Number of Sub-Species Documented||81|
|9. Number of new page created in wikispecies||8|
|10. Number of new item created in Wikidata||198|
|9. Learning question: Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
Yes, our project has very satisfactorily motivated the Wiki contributors. Different contributors has started uploading images in Commons.
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
Photographic team's work: A vast area coverage done in this phase; the different district of the state of West Bengal, covering different territory. In this phase, we have documented some very rare and rare species of butterflies, which are of rare status in West Bengal.
Photo-book: The inclusion of our project in the Photo-book publication of 5 years to Wiki Loves Initiatives in India initiated by User:Krishna Chaitanya Velaga
Blog: The beautiful blog published on (The metamorphosis of Wiki Loves Butterfly https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/07/10/wiki-loves-butterfly/) Wikimedia blog on our WLB project by User:Ed Erhart (WMF) is also an event worthy of mention.
Outreach: The prospect of outreach is well maintained in this phase also with the inclusion of new wiki-editors, co-ordination with new special interest groups, experts, students and above all inviting and sharing others with and about the great motto of wikimedia movement.
- What did not work so well?
Weather condition: Weather hazards put us in great trouble and less of field work days and even trips at many butterfly hotspots. Profusion of rain and flood condition time and again have severely affected the state of West Bengal this year.
Multilingual approach: We have always a strong bent for multilingual approach of our project by way of translation of our articles in different languages. Time and again we have appealed to wiki editor of different language to do the same and work hand in hand to highlight the great spirit of Wikimedia movement. Some positive responses have come, but none of them have started with us yet. Still we are communicating with them all the time with our hope of multilingual aspect of the project.
- What would you do differently next time?
Photo-walk: In course of the remaining period of Wiki Loves Butterfly Part-II, we have a plan to organize a photo walk by December, 2017.
Photo-exhibition: We also have a plan to organize a Photo-exhibition in Kolkata with the active aid and support of the West Bengal Wikimedians
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Butterflies one a big super family with a vast diversity of species and subspecies. The north-east of India is a huge paradise of butterfly. We cherish a future dream to go on documenting and exploring this vast diversity with the wikipedians of different language community; working hand in hand and also to collaborate with, motivate, invite and include the good number of butterfly enthusiasts of different places of North-East India in the great world of wikimedia movements. Recently, a butterfly enthusiast organization/club namely Butan Glory-Eco club of Nagaland has communicated with us praising our project and showing their high interests of collaborative work under the purview of wikipedia. Their high enthusiasm has touched us deeply gives birth to future dreams in our mind to explore the Paradise of butterfly in future.