Grants:Project/Rapid/Audio-Visual Documentation of Odisha's Traditional Music
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Adding rare media content on Odia Wikipedia, Odia Wikisource and Wikimedia Commons
- Documenting rare cultural practices (tunes of the metres of Odisha's traditional music) and releasing them in the public domain
- Cultural Preservation of dying traditions by Audio-Visual Documentation
- Disseminating rare cultural knowledge through projects of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Adding photographs and autographs of eminent musicians
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- I will be undertaking visits to three of the cultural hubs of Odisha, India- the cities of Cuttack, Bhubaneswar and Puri. Odisha's traditional music has the concept of meters in litertaure, with a tune attached to each meter. These tunes, almost 11-12 centuries old are the foundation of the literature of the region and emerge invariably in all aspects of the culture. However, these tunes are getting lost due to lack of documentation of the cultural practices. As part of the project, I will be contacting veteran musicians in these regions to record these rare tunes from them, first-hand. Mr. Sabyasachi Patra, Eminent Wildlife Photographer and Mr. Shyamanuja Das, Expert in Odisha's Musical Traditions have gracefully agreed to help me in the shooting of the video and the research. After recording, the tracks will be edited extensively during the post-production phase. The finished content will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons and attached on a special page in the Odia Wikipedia and Odia Wikisource, where the media will be logically structured.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- I have let others in the Odia Wikimedia community know about my project(through Facebook Messenger) and have met with a positive response so far. I will be updating the community page with a link to this page.
This project is essentially tied to a particular tradition of a region and has a specific audience, the people who speak the language Odia. However, it is equally relevant in the context of Indian Culture and will be helpful for comparative ethnomusicology.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- Addition of multiple high quality audio-visual resources to Wikimedia Commons. Please note that these resources will be extremely rare and unavailable elsewhere.
- Addition of a high quality article with multiple media files to the Odia Wikipedia
- Addition of media files to multiple pages of the Odia Wikisource
- Addition of photographs and autographs of eminent musicians as media files in various articles of English Wikipedia and Odia Wikipedia
- Addition of information collected first-hand from living experts
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants : 1
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) : 1 High Quality Article in the Odia Wikipedia, about 50 improved articles in the Odia Wikisource
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): 100 High Quality Images, About 50 High Quality(4K) Video/Audio Files
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I have sought the help of an eminent Wildlife Photographer of India for the project. He has graciously agreed to help me. He will be helping us with the cameras, lenses, microphones, tripods and other shooting equipment.
The project will be organised by me with the help of Mr. Shyamanuja Das. There are no sources of additional funding or support.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
( I will be going from my current place of residence to Bhubaneswar, Odisha's capital, from where I will be going to the other two places. ) Transport Charges to destination : INR 10000 (2 trips)
- Local Transport ( Transport Charges to the shooting locations ) : INR 15000
- Food : INR 5000
- Remuneration for Artists (5 artists, 2000 each) : INR 10000
- Other Miscellanous Charges (Printing of documents, post-production and editing) : INR 5000
Total : 50000