Grants:Project/Rapid/BamLifa/One Computer, one Wikipedia/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We didn’t meet at all our goals. We have expected to work with 50 CS students but 32 were present. This is probably due to the weather issue the day of our install party. We can say that we are a bit happy with how the project went on. Participants were curious to learn about Wikipedia and how to get it off line. We were also happy to see a great participation of girls in such a tech event (~30 %).
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|2 events||2 events|
|50 participants||32 participants||It was a rainy day.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- What did not work so well?
- What would you do differently next time?
Partnering with the higher school worked well. We were welcomed by all school authorities. Our workshop covered 3 points : an overview presentation of Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects ; a step by step Kiwix installation and .zim deployment; and at the end how to share file between 2 computers using Ethernet cable. The representative of participants thanked us for our organization (food offered to everybody, certificate of participation, cables, ...) and the choice of their school. We spent too much time copying .zim files from one computer to another. Most of student computers were infected by viruses which deleted files on the USB key. The local we used was not comfortable at all. In the future we’d like to do things as this :
- work with a small group that we can easily manage (e.g : 20 persons)
- organize a pre-event whith 5 – 10 persons. This will help us to appreciate the local and learn more about our attendees (e.g : their expectations, their ability to use computer, …). Because we'll only invite a few of them, sharing .zim files won't be a problem. Once they have them (.zim) we will ask to them to share with others
- Prepare zim files on many USB drives (at least five sticks)
- Get to the place of the workshop 1 hr or 30 mn before and try to make sure that attendees' computers are safe from viruses (if possible try to scan those computers)
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- T-shirt = $870
- Food and drink = $172,82
- Transport and phone airtime = $110
- Ethernet cables and USB drivers = $260
- Prints = $292
- Miscellaneous supplies = $100
Total expense USD 1804,82
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Remaining fund USD 5.18.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
We have submitted this report very late than the due date. First because this is our first time to work with Grant Team at WMF and second because the school has postponed the date of event. Unfortunately we didn't tell all this before to the grant admin. Hope that next time we'll be well prepared and be on time. Sorry!