Grants:Project/Rapid/Bay Area WikiSalon/Bay Area WikiSalon/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Yes. See details below.
Please report on your original project targets.
WikiSalons and events took place on the following dates:
- August 31, 2016
- September 28, 2016
- October 26, 2016
- November 30, 2016
- December 21, 2016
- January 15, 2017 (Wikipedia Day 16 sponsored/coordinated by BAWS)
- February 22, 2017
- March 29, 2017
- April 26, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- September 27, 2017
- November 29, 2017
- June 6, 2018
- July 25, 2018
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Socialize with community members||Yes.||We did not target explicit numbers, but we tried to track RSVPs and attendance, which ranged from 45 to 4 over the 12-month period. Our high-level monthly summaries (Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon) present the attendance of some months. In a lightning talk OpenOffice Impress presentation at Wikiconference USA in 2016, audience members reflected that attendance seemed relatively high in the scheme of U.S. Wikimedia meetups.|
|Recruit new editors||Yes.||Our high-level monthly summaries (Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon) note 8 new editors personally made their first edits, as witnessed by the organizers.|
|Increase skills for existing editors||Yes.||Editors sometimes learned tricks from existing editors - for example, the Visual Editor tool and its automatic citation capability were frequently cited.|
|Add or improve content||Yes.||Content improvement was an explicit goal at only a couple of the meetups, with one general and another focused on basic income. But content improvement was a continuous topic of discussion.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The Wikimedia Foundation facilities staff was very supportive, and WMF staff sometimes showed up to make presentations on software updates or other things. Overall, people seemed to have fun and learn from each other.
- What did not work so well?
- Planning engaging events is difficult, and sometimes organizers, who are freely volunteering their time, felt unrecognized and unrewarded. Also, efforts to organize can be tedious and seem less fun than editing articles.
- We tried Mailchimp, to get more analytics on emails (possibly "growth hacking"). But it didn't seem to work as well as a simple plaintext email from a personal email account.
- What would you do differently next time?
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Original grant award: $2000
- Spent: $1799.13
- Remaining balance: $200.87 (as of 2018-09-05)
- Funds were spent on food, beverages, ice, food delivery fees, sales tax, serving vessels and utensils.
|Posting date||WikiSalon date||Vendor||Items||Cost||Running total||Note|
|2016-08-23||NA||PSCU||Wire transfer fee||10.00||10.00||WMF deposit fee|
|2016-09-02||2016-08-31||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||108.06||118.06||Delivery to WMF|
|2016-09-30||2016-09-28||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||106.42||224.48||Delivery to WMF|
|2016-09-30||2016-09-28||Big Lots||Vegan/GF chips||1.90||226.38||Will call by Wayne|
|2017-10-28||2016-10-26||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||107.08||333.46||Delivery to WMF|
|2016-12-02||2016-11-30||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||89.94||423.40||Delivery to WMF|
|2016-12-23||2016-12-21||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||126.13||549.53||Delivery to WMF|
|2017-01-17||2017-01-15||Dollar Tree||Utensils, plates, cups, party favors, etc.||53.04||602.57||Will call by Wayne - Wikipedia Day 16|
|2017-01-17||2017-01-15||Safeway||Cake for Wikipedia Day 16||64.97||667.54||Will call by Wayne - Wikipedia Day 16|
|2017-01-17||2017-01-15||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice, ice cream, toppings||218.98||886.52||Delivery to WMF - Wikipedia Day 16|
|2017-02-24||2017-02-22||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||118.15||1004.67||Delivery to WMF|
|2017-03-29||2017-03-29||Dollar Tree||Utensils, plates, cups||16.01||1020.68||Will call by Wayne|
|2017-03-29||2017-03-29||Grocery Outlet||Food, deli, drinks, ice||49.89||1070.57||Will call by Wayne|
|2017-04-28||2017-04-26||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||134.25||1204.82||Delivery to WMF|
|2017-05-30||2017-05-31||Big Lots||Vegan/GF chips||1.90||1206.72||Will call by Wayne|
|2017-05-31||2017-05-31||Grocery Outlet||Food, deli, drinks, ice||54.87||1261.59||Will call by Wayne|
|2017-05-31||2017-05-31||Dollar Tree||Utensils, plates, cups||13.65||1275.24||Will call by Wayne|
|2017-09-29||2017-09-27||Duc Loi Supermarket||Beer, wine||26.01||1301.25||Will call by Wayne|
|2017-12-01||2017-11-29||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||115.28||1416.53||Delivery to WMF|
|2018-06-08||2018-06-06||Safeway||Food, deli, drinks, ice||117.53||1534.06||Delivery to WMF|
|2018-06-13||2018-06-06||Z Pizza||Pizza||116.50||1650.56||Delivery to WMF - via Uber Eats|
|2018-07-26||2018-07-25||Grocery Outlet||Food, deli, ice||53.63||1704.19||Will call by Wayne|
|2018-07-31||2018-07-25||Z Pizza||Pizza||94.94||1799.13||Delivery to WMF - via Uber Eats|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- We would like to spend the remaining funds on the next WikiSalon scheduled for September 26, 2018 at 6 p.m., while we apply for another Rapid grant. We expect to consume the entirety of the $200.87 on the September WikiSalon.
Anything else you want to share about your project?