Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We were able to surpass the project quota for new entries for both the incubator projects. The Tagalog Wikiquote has ranked 2nd in the international SheSaid Campaign, while the Central Bikol Wikiquote ranked 5th. This project became an instrument in inviting new editors that would eventually be regular volunteers to our community.
- Increasing and/or improving content on notable Filipino women on different Wikiquote platforms.
- With this grant, we were able to create contents in three different Wikiquote platforms - English, Tagalog and Central Bikol. Through online workshop, we were able to train new volunteers to join our mission in further developing these wikiprojects.
- Promoting the Philippine language Wikiquote platforms under incubation (Wikisambit, Wikikawikaan) using fair gender representation.
- This project helped in providing support for us to further developed our own local Wikiquote platforms. We were able to promote the project, add more content and share it to a wider community. We also started planning on developing promotional materials for the different social media platforms to invite more editors and introduce these Wikiquote platforms. However, since it is still under incubation, we will need to provide more technical support to aspiring volunteers.
- Recruitment of new editors and improving skills of existing editors through a series of edit-a-thons.
- Both online workshops and offline meet-ups with new and experienced volunteers provided a good avenue of improving skills in contributing to the different wikiprojects. We also opted to focus on new editors and sustain their motivation until the end of the campaign. We were able to gather dedicated volunteers that have been devoting their time since the SheSaid Campaign and become regular members of volunteer community.
- Foster an open culture through meet-ups and include more women in the community of volunteers.
- Volunteers of this project had the chance to visit one of our local libraries, and a museum. This experience helped volunteers learn more about our language and culture and notable people who helped shaped our community. This project also open some doors for us to partner with visual artists in our area.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|3 online training and 3 offline meet-up||4 online edit-a-thons, 2 offline meetings||The project has coincided with the nationwide vaccination program. Four of our edit-a-thons are simultaneously done online while we were only able to do two meet-ups (1 for editing and 1 for evaluation).|
|20 participants||15 editors||A total of 15 editors have contributed to the development of the incubator projects. Eight of those are women and have been constant editors and volunteers up to the present. Two artists were also commissioned to do artworks to be used on the SheSaid Posters for the Philippines. These posters are posted on the Art and Feminism PH page. One of the commissioned works was also used as the cover photo for our annual report.|
|50 quotes of notable women||42 new quotes||We have listed 42 items for Filipino women writers but only a few of them are already available on English Wikiquote which is our source for translating the quotes in both Tagalog and Central Bikol. There are only limited free online resources for these Filipino authors. Most of the available references are in the libraries. Our activities are mostly online and we didn’t get the chance to visit actual libraries, however, we were still able to push through with it only after the participants are fully vaccinated but it was after the campaign event.|
|200 quotes translated to Central Bikol||152 new pages||For Wikisambit: 608 edits, 152 new pages, 90,945 bytes added, 8 editors.|
|200 quotes translated to Tagalog||572 new pages||For Wikikawikaan: 1,435 edits, 572 new pages, 342,465 bytes added, 15 unique and returning editors|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well?
- The incubator projects are a challenge to work with. The editors are expecting themselves to be constantly working on the projects for a specific number of hours in days with a goal of both bridging the gender gap on the contents of the project and maintaining the activities to hatch the incubator projects. In a way, these criteria for approving a certain incubator project have pushed the editors to maintain the momentum of edits and persevere in hitting the target numbers.
- For this project, we opted to gather qualitative results so as to assess the actual experience of the editors. As per the request of the respondents, answers were not uploaded but all requests and suggestions were implemented during the next activities of our group such as creating video tutorials using the local language and creating a google classroom for easy access to the notes and assignments. Over all assessment will be incorporated on our next annual report.
What did not work so well?
- The project has coincided with the nationwide vaccination program. 4 of our edit-a-thons are simultaneously done online while we were only able to do two meet-ups. The end program was allotted for evaluation and open forum. Personally, this has also coincided with me being busy with my employment process for the WMF so I needed to appoint tasks to my co-wikimedians.
What would you do differently next time?
- We are looking at partnering with the Core organizing team of the SheSaid Campaign and collaborating with them to do office hours and assist on the kick-off event of the campaign.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Food and Refreshments||14,250.00|
|Hygiene package (Masks, Sanitizers)||1,450.00|
|Transportation allowance for participants||3,980.00|
|Venue with Internet (4-6 hours)||15,000.00|
|Internet support (organizer)||5,200.00|
|Internet support (technical support)||5,200.00|
|Stationary and giveaways (manuals, brochures,etc.)||14,855.00|
|Print and online advertisements||5,000.00|
|Documentation (rental of equipment)||4,000.00|
|Miscellaneous and contingency funds||4750.00|
Do you have any remaining grant funds? The remaining fund is 965.00.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
We are glad to be able to contribute to the global campaign. Check the global campaign results here.