Grants:Project/Rapid/Camelia.boban/Giornata della Memoria 2020
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Every January 27th, the whole world commemorates the International Holocaust Remembrance Day. Maybe for the first time in a wiki project, we are organizing an event to involve Romani people to learn on how to edit Wikipedia, do it, tell their story through the historians documentation, the stories of those who lived, poetry moments and photography exhibition.
- The event foresees the presence of 10 young people from the Roma, Sinti and Yenish ethnic groups (selected by Opera Nomadi Association in Milan chaired by Dr. Maurizio Pagani and by the AIZO (Italian Gypsy Association Today) in Turin, chaired by the Dr. Carla Osella tutored by 10 Wikipedians experts belonging to the Wikipedia projects «Persecutions, deportations and crimes of the Nazi-fascist period» and «Women and Shoah» and guests such as: the historian Marcello Pezzetti from the Foundation of the Shoah Museum in Rome, Maurizio Pagani and Giorgio Bezzecchi of the Opera Nomadi in Milan, the poetess and writer Mariella Mehr and Edith Bruck. The commemoration includes a photo exhibition which illustrates the genocide against Europe's Romani people by Nazi Germany during the World War II.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- This is the program of this event. Is not only an edit-a-thon, but a multi disciplinary event that includes a wiki course, an edit-a-thon, history, documentation and poetry moments, a photo exhibition.
- A basic course on how to edit on our encyclopedia. Each "student" in this phase will be assisted by an experienced Wikipedian (who will act as tutor) and will help the person assigned to understand the main aspects of writing the entries.
- Lunch break
- Edit-a-thon: each individual "student" will be joined by a Wikipedian for the production of contents for the encyclopedia: verification, research, correction, addition, integration of sources, texts, documents and images to be added to existing entries or to be used as a basis for creating new entries. The Wikipedians present will not edit, but as already specified they will act as tutors helping the "students" to directly edit themselves on Wikipedia, for the first time and on a theme concerning the persecution that has drawn on their own community.
- Porrajmos (Romani genocide) intervention of the historian Marcello Pezzetti, Maurizio Pagani - President of Opera Nomadi-Milan -, the sociologist and writer Carla Osella, President of Italian Association Zingari Oggi (AIZO).
- Interview with Mariella Mehr (member of the nomadic Yeniche people), a victim of the Nazi period as child and adolescent and Edith Bruck with her own poems. We will also have the opportunity to learn about the last living Roma that was persecuted in Italy and to hear some exciting experiences from
- Photographic exhibition: Preparation of a photographic exhibition depicting scenes of life of Roma, Sinti and Jennisch before and during their Porrajmos. The exhibition set up by the Memorial staff and will remain on display at the Memorial until February 2020.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- We will inform our community throught different wiki and blog/social media communications:
- The wiki meeting page
- Meetings page on Italian Wikipedia
- Persecutions, deportations and crimes of the Nazi-fascist period project talk page
- WikiDonne's talk page and the Holocaust related project Women and Shoah.
- Wikimedia Italy post on the ufficial site
- Post on various social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia Weekly, Telegram
- Eventbrite event
- Facebook event page
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- This is the second event we organized for the International Holocaust Remembrance Day, and the fourth event related with the Holocaust we organize in Milan and Rome: Giornata della Memoria 2019 edit-a-thon, Italian diplomacy in the face of the persecution of the Jews 1938 - 1943 exhibition, Contemporary Jewish documentation center edit-a-thon. We have two projects in Italian Wikipedia where we are working on the Holocaust: Progetto:Persecuzioni, deportazioni e crimini del periodo nazi-fascista and Donne e Shoah.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 30
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): 20
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): 40
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): 10
- Number of languages: 4 (Italian, Romanian, German, English)
- We will track the participants number, the article created or improved, tha bytes added and the Commons uploaded using the Dashboard tool. This is the campaign, and this is the program for 2020.
But is not only about numbers (participants, articles, immeges), is about inclusion of an invisible ethnic group, a marginalized and discriminated segment of the society in many European countries (Romani people means 120 milions of inhabitants in Europe). And they are themselves to tell their story, we are only bridges between them and the wiki movement that wants to change the world.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The Memoriale della Shoah Holocaust Memorial will give us the location, tables, chairs, a video projector and free connection, they provide us with their library and their historical documents. Will also promote the event on their social media channels. Grafica Express '(important digital printing store in Lombardia) and Media World will print and set up the photo exhibition (30 pictures mounted on forex panels).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- 1 night in hotel for 6 guests (coming from outside the region): 6 people x 63 € = 378 € ($ 419)
- graphics and print of 40 posters (25cm x 50 cm): 200 € ($ 222)
- lunch: 15 € x 30 people = 450 € ($ 500)
- snacks & water: 50 € ($ 55)
- dinner: 20 € x 30 people = 600 € ($ 665)
TOTAL 1678 € ($ 1860)
- It's a great opportunity to enlarge the community, the philosophy of free culture and find new ideas. It's very important for democracy, freedom. Commit ourselves against racism, hatred, intolerances and talk about democracy and freedom and for the defense of all human rights. We work for a better future for all people. --Ettorre (talk) 15:04, 18 January 2020 (UTC)
- Great project!--Ferdi2005[Mail] 18:26, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- Very interesting project, about diversity, democracy, history. Marcok (talk) 20:32, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- A day of meetings and exchange of ideas and study. Remember and understand. No more racism, hatred, intolerance. For human rights, the freedom of evey people. We remember the Shoah.Fcarbonara (talk) 22:02, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- Proud to take part to the project --Actormusicus (talk) 06:51, 22 January 2020 (UTC)
- All my support & presence for the project. (Borgil) 08:35, 22 January 2020 (UTC)
- I give my support and I will be present. Salvatore Talia (talk) 11:52, 22 January 2020 (UTC)
- Kaspo (talk) 13:23, 24 January 2020 (UTC)