Grants:Project/Rapid/Camelia.boban/Giornata della Memoria 2020/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We hosted a Wikipedia editing training, an edit-a-thon, presentations and talks with historians and associations, a photo exibition. Yes, I think we met the goal and I'm happy, as we organized something was never done before in a Wikimedia project. Treating Roma and Sinti genocide for the International Holocaust Remembrance Day commemoration and inviting such a (even today) discriminated minority to edit Wikipedia I think was a great deal. Wea are also consolidating the collaboration with this museum, as is the third consecutive year we are organizing this event inside the Memoriale della Shoah in Milan.
Please report on your original project targets.
We collected the metrics using the Dashboard tool (which doesn't sign the correct number of articles edited (new and improved). The correct number or articles edited can be reached on the wiki page section Written articles.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|30||26||Number of total participants|
|NA||2||Number of new editors|
|20||23||Number of articles created or improved|
|40||260||Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons|
|10||1 (permission to be sent to OTRS)||Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects|
|4 (Italian, Romanian, German, English)||3 (articles written in Italian, translations from English, German and French)||Number of languages|
|NA||7||Number of new Wikidata items|
|NA||2||Number of new Commons categories|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
True, non always everything go according to what was planned. Worked well the content we produced (16 new articles and 7 improved), uploaded many images, we have set up a photographic exhibition which will remain in the museum until mid-March. Worked well the fact that we drew the curiosity of an ethnic discriminated group who perhaps had never dreamed of being able to write something on Wikipedia. Above all by bringing their point of view, their history. To the point of asking to be able to continue, perhaps taking advantage of the courses with Wikipedian teachers. Worked also well the impact that this event had on the media (newspapers, radio, tv news) and that the exhibition we we inaugurated remains for two weeks inside if the museum.
- What did not work so well?
Organizing an event is a hard thing to do. Not all the people could or accepted to take responsibilities, so a lot of work was on one person's shoulders, who was overwhelmed. During the event it was possible to help, but a lot of work was done before and after the event. Managing the arrival and accommodation of the guests, the refreshment, the location, the program, the contacts with the partner. The result is that something can escape (we lost sight of the projector that WMIT lent us which was never found again in the confusion, for example). The association could also be more collaborative, because the event is something that concerns the community activities. We have exceeded the amount allocated for the grant (for about 150 euros), as we did not foresee the need to cover two nights in a hotel for those students / guests who came from the southern Italy (Isernia).
- What would you do differently next time?
It is essential to have the money amount in advance, so it is preferable to start everything by filling a Project Grant for this recurrent event. It is important to know how much the chapter can help (microgrant, resources, participants). It is also important that everybody has tasks to perform and knows exactly the things to do.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
We spent more then the grant was, more than even the receipts we sent to WMF (as we supported the travel costs that are not covered by the grant).
- Food (lunch and dinner), snacks and drinks: 803,30 €
- Graphics and prints: 393 €
- Hotel: 637,75 €
TOTAL 1834,05 €
The amounts entered into the grant were forecasts based on estimated rates. The following 154 € (from 1678 € to 1834 €) fluctuations occurred:
- For three guests from Isernia (3 hotel rooms) it was necessary to book 2 nights instead of one.
- The rate of the graphic provided for additional graphics work on the plexiglas boards.
- Instead, we paid less for lunches and dinners, because we agreed on a generic menu and at the final dinner there were 10 fewer people.
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
No, we spent 1834 € (156 € more than the grant's amount). On March 13th we received from WMF the difference of 156 € for our complete expenses.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
The International Holocaust Remembrance Day at the Memoriale della Shoah in Milan is becoming an annual recurrence. Is an event that, than for its particularity, engage the Italian media. Is also an opportunity to enrich the encyclopedia and Commons with content on this theme and reason for reinforcing at least two other projects in Italian Wikipedia, oriented towards history and diversity.
- Commons: Giornata della memoria 2020 and Holocaust Mahnmal new categories in Commons.
- Wikidata new items (d:Helene Hannemann (Q83954895), d:Margarethe Kraus (Q83969055), d:La ninna nanna di Auschwitz (Q83954929) etc.
The event had an extended media coverage (newspapers, radio, TV news, blog, sites).
- RAI3 TGR 19:30 edition of 26 January 2020
- RAI3 TGR Edizione delle 14:00 del 26 January 2020
- Giornata della Memoria: gli eventi in città - Corriere della Sera (viviMilano) - 26 January 2020
- La Stampa: Giornata della Memoria, le iniziative per non dimenticare
- RadioLombardia: Giornata della Memoria, ricco programma al Memoriale della Shoah
- Porrajmos: Una edit-a-thon e una conferenza con Wikipedia, Memoriale della Shoah
- Giorno della Memoria 2020: maratona Wikipedia a Milano per non dimenticare le persecuzioni razziali, Wikimedia Italia, 15 January 2020.
- A Milano il raduno dei wikipediani sull'Olocausto e lo sterminio degli zingari, la Repubblica, Milano, 24 January 2020.
- Giornata della Memoria, tra mostre, incontri e spettacoli Milano ricorda gli orrori della Shoah, la Repubblica, Milano, 23 January 2020.
- Open days del Memoriale della Shoah in occasione della Giornata della Memoria, la Repubblica, Milano, January 2020.
- Giorno della Memoria 2020: la programmazione del Memoriale della Shoah per il 27 January, Bet Magazine Mosaico, sito ufficiale della comunità ebraica di Milano, 20 January 2020.
- AGENDA DELLA MEMORIA 2020 - Bet Magazine Mosaico, sito ufficiale della comunità ebraica di Milan, 22 January 2020.
- Una tragedia dimenticata. Il Memoriale della Shoah ricorda il genocidio dei rom e sinti nei lager nazisti - Bet Magazine Mosaico, sito ufficiale della comunità ebraica di Milano, 29 January 2020
- Open Day del Memoriale della Shoah di Milano per il Giorno della Memoria 2020, Mentelocale Milano.
- Memoria, un laboratorio con WikiPedia per raccontare lo sterminio dei rom, Radio Lombardia, 22 January 2020.
- Giorno della Memoria 2020: maratona di scrittura su Wikipedia, Popolis.
- Le iniziative per il Giorno della Memoria e un incontro con Liliana Segre, Milano Today, 20 January 2020.
- Giornata della Memoria 2020: le iniziative a Milano, Notizie.it, 23 January 2020.
- Giornata della Memoria: Il Genocidio dimenticato Legnano News, 11 January 2020.
- Anpi ricorda lo sterminio nazista di Rom e Sinti, sempionenews, 23 January 2020.
- Giorno della Memoria con volontari Wikipedia di Milano, varese7press, 22 January 2020.
- Il Binario 21 della Stazione Centrale di Milano, Luogo della Memoria, TastingTheWorld, 20 January 2020.
- La scrittura per ricordare - Wikipedia per dare testimonianza del genocidio di Rom Sinti e Jenisch, VivereMilano 26 January 2020
- Maratona di scrittura su Wikipedia al Memoriale della Shoah di Milano – (Uff. Stampa Wikimedia) - DCM Magazine.it , 23 January 2020
- Giorno della Memoria: maratona di scrittura su Wikipedia al Memoriale della Shoah - Pubblicom Now! - 24 January 2020