Grants:Project/Rapid/Clementine Nyirahabihirwe/Wiki Loves Women 2021 in Rwanda
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Add or improve content
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What will your initiative focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The initiative is related to the Wiki Loves Women project. Wiki Loves Women contributes towards the UN’s SDG 5 Gender Equity: achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls. Within the 2030 Wikimedia Strategy, the Wiki Loves Women project works towards resolving several recommendations, and in particular Invest in Skills and Leadership Development.
- The Wiki Loves Women team recently created a Focus Group. Its membership is made of 12 women, the majority of which from Africa. I am one of its members.
- The main goal of the Focus Group is skills transfer and also to raise awareness of and action to counter the lack of representation of women generally, and more specifically on online platforms such as Wikipedia (or Wikiquote). There are many important and contentious issues within the Gender space, however, the group is not aimed at unpacking those. Rather it is aimed at transferring vital skills towards women and men – digital, technical, researching, writing and leadership – that allow them to access information in order to make up their own minds within their cultural specificity. The group will operate through training, mentoring, online learning, peer-to-peer support..
2. Are you doing one edit-a-thon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We aim at organizing
- 3 edit-a-thons in person. This entails the 1st event being: Launching the project; 2nd being an edit-a-thon; 3rd event being the closing event (between September, half-day).
- 1 online follow-up session with participants who won't make it to the physical meet-up due to covid prevention measures.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We shall encourage participants to bring their own laptops. We will provide a safe place to contribute, with a suitable internet connection and refreshments.
5. How will you let participants know about the initiative? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We shall reach them using Emails, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, radio stations and phone calls and other Local communication channels such as:
- Rwanda Wikimedia User Group Facebook page
- WhatsApp Platforms
- Global drive communication channels include
And the project has been announced via our meta-page.
6. What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- I expect to have more new members join the community and contribute to the Wikimedia movement
- I expect an increase in the content written on Businesswomen in Rwanda
- I shall follow-up with participants through deliberate use of emails, calls about new initiatives, and adding them to existing community groups.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Yes, we will have less than 10 people for each in-person event
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We are convinced that with this project, the existing gender gap on Wikipedia, wiki commons, and Wikiquote shall be reduced
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of entries created or improved: 80
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I'm an experienced editor and organizer of edit a thons. I also have experienced Wikimedia editors in my community and the Wiki Loves Women team is also available to help.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Refreshments: $100 x 3 sessions = $300
- Venue: $100 x 3 events = $300
- Hygiene package (Masks, Sanitizers) : $100
- Transport:$10 x 20 = $200
- Internet support: $150 x 3 events = $450
- T-shirts:$10 x 10 = $100
- Marketing material (banner and banner stand,Flyer design) = $100
- Communication outreaches (Facebook, Instagram) = $50
- Small gifts & Certificates for participants (like: pens, bookmark etc)= $150
- Miscellaneous and contingency funds = $50
- TOTAL $1800
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!