Grants:Project/Rapid/Ctac/Creative Commons Global Summit
Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Expand network of potential partners
- Increase awareness and support of free licences
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- Creative Commons Global Summit - meeting of hundreds of leading activists, advocates, librarians, educators, lawyers, technologists, and more have joined us for discussion and debate, workshops and planning, talks and community building. It’s a can’t-miss event for anyone interested in the global movement for the commons.
- I have been an activist of free licenses for many years. I spent several years making amendments to Russian legislation regarding free licenses. I am one of the authors of article 1286.1 "Open license to use works of science, literature or art" of the Civil Code of Russia, which is already in force.
- In addition, I met, wrote letters and urged Russian officials (including the president of the country) to switch to free licenses. I have ensured that the websites of the President of Russia, the Government of the Russian Federation, the State Duma, the websites of a large number of ministries and departments, the governors of Russia are transferred to a free license Creative Commons 4.0. Now tens of thousands of photos from there are actively used in Wikipedia. In addition, I regularly conduct and publish monitoring sites of government agencies for the availability of free licenses (see here).
- When Creative Commons 4.0 licenses were developed, I was part of a working group on the adaptation of these licenses in Russia. A number of our amendments were included in the final version of CC 4.0.
- In addition, I actively promote free licenses in Russia. Here, more than 700 of my interviews in the media:  I regularly give lectures to librarians and museum workers, explaining to them the principles of free licenses. I am the project manager for the Open Heritage and Open Library projects, which included several dozen meetings with librarians and museum workers throughout Russia (see here).
- I am also the author of 9 books on public domain and free licenses (here and here).
- It is extremely important for me to know the latest news from the world of free licenses, to know the best practices of their propaganda and to get new contacts with activists.--Ctac (talk) 08:37, 14 March 2019 (UTC)
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- I will continue my active work promoting free licenses in Russia (see above). Hope that even more efficient.
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- I am the executive director of Wikimedia Russia. I regularly inform all interested participants of Wikimedia projects on the Russian Wikipedia forums and on the pages of the Wikimedia Russia website.
- In addition, I am the organizer of the annual Wiki-Conference, which brings together Wikimedia project activists from all over Russia and the countries of the former USSR (the working language of the conference is Russian). At this conference (it has been held since 2007), a lot of time is always devoted to the issue of free licenses.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- Yes, I would like to develop cooperation with free license activists from other countries and exchange experience with them. Unfortunately, there is no list of participants on the conference site yet.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- Through communication via the Internet (wiki projects, social networks, instant messengers, e-mail, etc.)
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of presentation attendees:
- ~500 participants from ~40 countries
- Number of new potential partners:
- I dont know. Hope several hundred
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- Alas, I did not manage to find additional funding for this trip.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- I need ~85 000 RUB =~ 1,297.06 USD (for flight tickets and hotel). It is impossible to say exactly, as the prices of air tickets and hotels are constantly changing.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!