Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- We want to build the infrastructure to accommodate the Dagbani family of languages on Wikimedia projects. The sixteen (16) languages that make up the Mole-Dagbani family of languages share a similar lexicon and are near mutually-intelligible. As it stands, the MediaWiki interface doesn't support any of these languages -- this makes participation difficult for people from those languages who cannot read or understand the default English language interface. We want to build the foundation that all of these languages may leverage on to start new projects for their dialects, so they do not individually reinvent the wheel every time. With the continuously growing amount of content in the Dagbani language, we want to start actively translating the MediaWiki software, so the community can have the option to access Wikimedia projects in Dagbani.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The Dagbani languages community have struggled with the interface of translatewiki.net in the past. We will be organizing online and offline training workshops to equip the community with the skills they will need to be able to participate in translations.
- With that knowledge, we will begin actively translating the MediaWiki software on translatewiki.net beginning with the core MediaWiki that is currently made up of around 4000 phrases.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Global Open Initiative social media spaces and Dagbani WIkimedians subpages
- Targeting these groups will enable us to:
- Recruit people who speak at least one of the 16 Mole-Dagbani languages to participate in the project
- Provide general Translatewiki.net training for people from other smaller non-Dagbani languages who may be inspired to replicate this project in their own spaces
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- We would have translated the required number of phrases of the MediaWiki software to enable us to have our own Wikipedia subdomain.
- While the minimum requirement to start a new project is only a few 1000 MediaWiki phrases, many more phrases are available for extensions, APIs and Libraries, etc. The community would have gained enough skills, experience and enthusiasm to continue translating these other phrases. We will continue to engage them to update/add new translations as necessary.
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Covid-19 Risk Assessment Protocol (Completed)
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants 20
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) n/a
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable) n/a
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable) n/a
- Number of phrases to be translated 1000
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
The project will focus on translating the MediaWiki software on translatewiki.net beginning with the core MediaWiki that is currently made up of around 4000 phrases. We plan doing this using the active membership of Dagbani Wikimedians which currently has around 140 membership.
- The sub-project leads are as follows:
- Other general support
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc|
|Food and Water||We will have 2 in person workshops to equip the community with the skills they will need to be able to participate in translations (10 participants at each workshop)||50||20||1000|
|Data package for internet router during offline training workshops||We will have an inperson training workshop to train community members on how to use translate wiki.net and core media wiki||500||2||1000|
|Internet router rental and data allowance||We will rent internet routers and provide data allowance for the 20 core volunteer members.||400||20||8000|
|Covid-19 Personal Protective Equipments (PPE)||Liquid soaps, Hand sanitizers and face masks||500||n/a||500|
|Venue rental||Cost of venue to host 2 workshops||400||2||800|
|Bank charges, miscellaneous||Transfers and Reimbursement charges||n/a||n/a||150|
|Based on Oanda Exchange (February 28,2021)||Ghc||11450|
|1 USD = 5.76235 Ghc||USD||1987.04|
- Strong support -—M@sssly✉ 23:06, 26 February 2021 (UTC)
- I strongly support this project Dhee jah (talk) 16:46, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Din-nani1 (talk) 16:55, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Alhassan Mohammed Awal (talk) 17:20, 28 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong supportKhadijahAbubakari (talk) 18:52, 1 March 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support --Kiraface (talk) 13:48, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- I strongly support this project~~~~
- Strong support Celestinesucess (talk) 13:58, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- I support this project Professor A A 14:52, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Strong supportI strongly support this project Ibn Shiraz (talk) 14:58, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Pablísima (talk) 15:21, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- I endorse it in full.~~~~Alhassan Peter￼
- I strongly support this project Ruky Wunpini (talk) 16:01, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support! Fernmother (talk) 16:51, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly support this project IBS-Gh (talk) 17:00, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Zak Raha
- Strong support clickhere21 (talk) 05:37, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Yakubu Fadilatu
- Strong support --Rosa(SiC) (talk) 20:05, 16 March 2021 (CET)