Grants:Project/Rapid/Dagbani Wikimedians/Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 in Ghana
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add or improve content on Dagbani Wikipedia and Gurene Wikipedia (Incubator)
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
- Add/Improve Wikidata
- Upload Photos on Wikimedia Commons
- Create/improve Dagbani and Gurene Wikipedia articles
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- Three (3) photo walks will be embarked on with a maximum of ten (10) people participating in each walk due to Covid-19 restrictions.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The walks will focus on taking photos, audios and videos of various cultural groups from the northern part of Ghana where Wikimedia activities are less covered. Their food, music & dance, rites, games, work and festivals.
List of potential Folklore activities to visit/capture:
- Construction/Building - Mud buildings/houses which are common in the northern part of Ghana are being constructed between January to March (dry season) when there are no more rains.
- Funeral events - Most funeral services are organized between January and March (Harvest season for farmers) in most parts of the northern region.
- Weddings/Marriage ceremonies - Most traditional marriages are organized during the harvest season.
- Maʒeema ni in Tamale. We will visit the place to take photos and videos of how they process animals skins into leather.
- Blacksmith centers. We will visit the local blacksmith centers at Macheleni to interact and take photos and videos of the processes of their work and the kind of things they produce ￼
- Savelugu and Vitting Shea butter processing centers: We will visit Savelugu and Vitting, the Communities where a group of women work on the production of Sheabutter. We will capture images and videos of the processes involved in the production of local Shea butter in northern Ghana.
- The palace of Gundonaa, a female king in Dagbon.
- Bolga basket weaving center in the Upper East Region of Ghana.
- Bolga Tanga pottery production center in the Upper East Region of Ghana.
- Smock weaving centers in Tamale and Yendi
- Local farms.
Feminism and Folklore Contest
- We will also organize a 2 months edit-a-thon contest (Feb 1 - March 31) to create at least 100+ Dagbani and Gurene(Incubator) Wikipedia articles and Wikidata items related to feminism and folklore.
- The Dagbani article must be of readable prose of about 100 words or roughly 3 sentences.
- The Dagbani Wikipedia article must have at least 4 references.
Gurene Wikipedia (Incubator)
- The Gurene article must be of readable prose of about 100 words or roughly 3 sentences.
- The Gurene Wikipedia article must have at least 4 references.
Wikidata items must have the following:
- English Label -->
- English Description -->
- Dagbani Label -->
- Dagbani Description -->
- At least 4 references.
- Instance of (P31)
3. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Communities will get to know about this proposal through Dagbani Wikimedia User Group social media handles below:
- WhatsApp group
- Dagbani WIkimedians subpages
- Dagbani Wikimedians User Group mailing list.
- Global Open Initiative's Talk:Global Open Initiative
- Gurenɛ Wikimedia Community's talk page.
- Twi Wikimedia Community User Group's talk page
- Planning Twi Wikimedians User Group's talk page
- Wikimedia Ghana User Group's talk page
4. How will you let participants know about the photowalk? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Participants will be communicated to via WhatsApp, Telegram and calls to participants from internet challenged areas.
5. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- All images, audios and videos will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons and attached to the Wikipedia articles. New articles/items that relate to the photos will be created on Dagbani Wikipedia and Wikidata
6. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- 3 professional photographers will join us on each photowalk to provide technical support and ensure that images are of high quality.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- More than 400 photos will be added to Wikimedia Commons, 100+ articles to be added to the Dagbani Wikipedia and 100+ items will also be added to Wikidata
- Link to photo contest landing page
- Link to Dagbani Wikipedia Contest page
- Link to Fountain tool
- to project page on meta
8. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Link to COVID-19 Risk Assessment protocol
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of photo walks:3
- Number of photo walk participants:15*3 = 45
- Number of participants at upload session:15
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons:400
- Number of articles created/improved on Dagbani wikipedia:100
- Number of Wikidata items created/improved:100
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 15% of images in the category used.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User: Alhassan Mohammed Awal has participated and served in the jury team for the 2021 editions of the Wiki Loves Folklore and Wiki Loves Monuments respectively in Ghana. He is an experience contributor to wikimedia projects. He is an educationist working with Ghana Education Service as a schedule officer - School Improvement Support Officer (SISO). He will coordinate the entire project.
- User:Dnshitobu - Facilitator and lead for upload session.
- User:Zak Raha - Social media campaigns, communication and logistics.
- User:Dhee jah - Graphic design
- User: Musahfm - Photo Judge
- User: Abubakari Khadijah - Photo Judge.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
ITEM DETAILS RATE(GHS) QUANTITY TOTAL(GHS) Transportation Transportation for the entire trip 2000 3 6000 Refreshments Food and refreshment for Workshop and for the entire trip 150 30 4,500 Venue Rental (Upload) Venue for upload session 600 1 600 Projector Rental Rent of Projector 200 1 200 Internet Data Allowances Internet for all participants to compete in uploads and article creation 70 30 2,100 Internet Data for Workshop/upload Internet data for workshop and upload session 600 2 1,200 Venue Rental (for Workshop) Venue for editathon session 600 1 600 Upload Session Refreshment Food and refreshment for participants 60 30 1,800 T-Shirts for Participants T-shirts for participants of Photowalks and workshops 40 15 600 Best Photo and editathon challenge winner Prize (Gift voucher) Gift voucher 250 2 500 First best Contributor, Wikipedia and photo contest (Gift voucher) Gift voucher 200 2 400 Second Best contributor, Wikipedia and photo contest (Gift voucher) Gift voucher 150 2 300 Camera Rental Rent cameras for use during the Photowalks 200 2 400 Wiki souvenirs Pull-up banners and stickers. n/a n/a 1000 Covid-19 prevention equipment Cost of Hand sanitizers and face masks 30 30 900 Bank charges Transfers and Reimbursement charges n/a n/a 400 Transportation Purchase and mailing of shopping vouchers, purchase and delivery of souvenirs n/a n/a 600 Based on Oanda Exchange January 22 2022) GHS 22,100 1 USD = 6.12436 GHS USD 3,500.72
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support I fully endorse this project. This is a project that will contribute quality images to Wikimedia commons to be used for Wikipedia projects especially on Dagbani Wikipedia where folklore images from the Northern part of Ghana are not adequately found. Alhassan Mohammed Awal (talk) 01:18, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support This project will project the existence of folklore photos in the northern part of Ghana which when uploaded to Wiki commons will benefit most wikimedia projects. Din-nani1 (talk) 12:05, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Abubakar280 (talk) 22:05, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Yakubu Fadilatu (talk) 22:22, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Muniru20 (talk) 21:43, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project ~~~~
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Alhaj Darajaati (talk) 21:48, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Zak Raha (talk) 22:05, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project as it will help many to get more pictures on commons Sir Amugi (talk) 22:11, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project. It would help expand the content of Dagbani on Wiki Commons. Munkaila Sulemana (talk) 10:21,13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Musahfm (talk) 23:30, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Hasslaebetch (talk) 23:41, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I am happy to support this project. Shahadusadik (talk) 23:52, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Libgi Tira (talk) 00:36, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Attah Mohammed (talk) 00:16, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project AFAIBRAHIM (talk) 02:47, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Sasalis (talk) 06:37, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project 184.108.40.206 06:35, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Lutfah1984 (talk) 07:32, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support This project will be useful because there are a lot of pages without pictures and more often, the pictures help in understanding the content better. It will also make the Northern under represented folklore be visible online. Dnshitobu (talk) 08:48, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorsed this project.Ruky Wunpini (talk) 07:19, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Issahiddris (talk) 10:01, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Achiri Bitamsimli (talk) 14:07, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support --Tiven2240 (talk) 05:24, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project -- Robertjamal12 ~🔔 08:03, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support --Uprising Man (talk)