Grants:Project/Rapid/Digital Day of Service: Salem Storms Wiki at Salem College
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are having one all day event on March 26th. We are taking over the third floor of the library. We have professors bringing their classes into the event and we are opening the event to the campus. We have recruited 7 faculty members who are incorporating the event into their classes. Some of the assignments will begin earlier and will continue past the day.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Our campus will be using our campus social media platforms to promote the event. We have convened meetings with faculty from different disciplines, our IT director, director of the library and administration as well as student representatives. The event has been broadcasted via email and will be again. We are working on a better logo with our students and PR folks. We are also on the March Faculty Meeting Agenda to get the word out. Our Dean and President support the event. At this point we are not reaching out beyond our campus community, we are planning to do so next year.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- We are very fortunate that Kasey Baker (user name kayz911), and Frank Jones (username Frankcjones), as well as potentially a few other members from the Triangle Wikipedians user group, expressed interest in attending to provide technical support for such a large event at their February meeting, and expect to make this event their call to action event for their March meeting. We are also concerned about our ability to successfully conduct such a large event, as well as provide classroom support our faculty members, without grant funds necessary to have experienced editors travel to our event and be featured speakers. We have been in communication with Helaine Blumenthal from the Wiki Education staff to help faculty set up course dashboards.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Our college will provide laptops and internet access to those who do not have their own laptops. Our IT director is on our committee and plans to attend the event as well. We will be training students in some of our classes so many will come prepared to contribute with resources in hand. We will train students in advance to help those who do not have skills to gain accounts. We will have resources for those students who have not come prepared with ideas in advance. For this first year a huge goal is to increase the number of women editors and we believe that by year 2 we will have trained people that can do even more good work.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We want to encourage people to join our North Carolina's user group the Triangle Wikipedians to participate in ongoing Wikipedia event: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Triangle_Wikipedians. We also hope to make this a yearly event at our college and have greater participation from faculty for Wikipedia in the classroom assignments of their own in the following years.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We realize we are under the wire with the deadline but we only just found out about the grant and We are a small women's college in North Carolina with a very limited budget. Our institution does not have any extra money to give so this grant will really help make this project a success. We have the ambition to increase the number of women editors on Wikipedia by empowering our students with the skills to do so. This project was inspired by the Wikistorm at William and Mary at the Ohmohundro institute by Karin Wulf. It was very successful and it occurred to me that our students would really be inspired to participate in a similar event.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 1 large event with 5-8 sessions
- Number of participants 20 in each session give or take, 150 total? We have a 98 enrolled in classes who are coming.
- Number of new editors ~125 including those registering early for classes, most are women
- Number of of articles created or improved mostly improved ~20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The college will provide the space for the event, laptops for those who need it, IT assistance and some PR. We will also purchase T-shirts for the students (yes, I understand the limit swag article but we are trying to fold this activity into a series of events related to service and need the continuity).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- • 2 Wikimedia experts Travel, hotel and Expenses- $900.00
- • Lunch for 50 people - $500.00
- • Snacks throughout the day- $300.00
- • Stickers, buttons, handouts, fliers- $200.00
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I am so excited about the Salem Storms Wiki event because its a important to have more information about women's lives in Wikipedia. Salem Storms Wiki will both add information about important women and train more women Wiki editors to continue this important recording of women's lives and work. 126.96.36.199 02:37, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
- If successful, it will increase women in editing roles and articles on prominent women on Wikipedia. 2600:1700:960:AEE0:68E7:56B8:728:3437 14:26, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
- Will increase the representation of Wiki pages about women and increase the number of women wiki editors Nonopod (talk) 18:26, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is a pilot program at one of the few women's colleges left in the U.S. The students and faculty are committed to increasing the number of biographical entries of women, nonbinary and transgender people, and people of color from all divisions of labor. 2606:A000:1012:89D6:6872:F081:5F68:E3F7 18:57, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
- I am a historian who has written about historically-important women, and I am traveling to this North Carolina event from Massachusetts to try to help out. 188.8.131.52 19:45, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
- Great idea! 184.108.40.206 02:40, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- Attending a women's college has opened my eyes to the realization that it is essential to tell our stories, especially those of women of color. Far too long have women been pushed aside when they contribute just as much or even greater than their counterparts and it's time we acknowledge their contributions to every field imaginable. In an effort to continue empowering those around me, I'd love to endorse this project so every story can be heard to its full truth. 220.127.116.11 18:14, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- Because I think it is going to be a great event! Kkellogg123 (talk) 18:16, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- Ehilber 97 (talk) 19:52, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is an exciting way to involve students in the Wikipedia community. E5827XW myj (talk) 20:26, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is a great way to encourage women to become Wikipedia editors! 2600:1700:3901:26C0:E54A:8334:D402:2E42 20:44, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- Salem is a fantastic women's college that is always looking to give back to society on a global scale. I love this project and I am proud to endorse it!! 18.104.22.168 22:05, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- I support this project because it is giving young women a voice in science and in editing that we would not otherwise receive. 22.214.171.124 23:41, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- It's time for the stories of all these monumental women to be told. 126.96.36.199 02:05, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- Underrepresented groups should be a priority for wikipedia 188.8.131.52 12:57, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- It is vital that Wikipedia include more diverse contributors and represents the accomplishments of more diverse people. An Edit-a-thon that engages young women who are passionate about diversifying Wikipedia content is a vital effort in improving Wikipedia. 184.108.40.206 15:06, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- It's a wonderful digital service opportunity for this community and will encourage more women to contribute to Wikipedia. 220.127.116.11 15:30, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- Great work on this I'm impressed by the back end work you had already done on this before contacting the foundation and learning about this grant. This is an outstanding project and one of the largest proposed events that I've seen in North Carolina. Also what an important topic of advocating for women's inclusion on wikipedia. The North Carolina Trinagle wikipedia's are stoked you are doing this!!! Kayz911 (talk) 20:16, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- Endorse! More women's history needs to be told! (But I can create my account b/c we've reach our threshold for Salem's IP address.) 18.104.22.168 01:56, 5 March 2019 (UTC)
- this is an important project! 22.214.171.124 22:28, 5 March 2019 (UTC)
- This seems like an exciting project that will increase the number of women who are involved in and featured on Wikipedia. 126.96.36.199 14:26, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Salem College is inspiring women to change the world. With the help of this grant, they will! 188.8.131.52 14:47, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Empowering women! 184.108.40.206 15:19, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- It will be excellent for the students. 220.127.116.11 15:21, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is an important opportunity for students to build a multitude of skills and ensure women's voices and stories are accurately represented in the digital universe! Tsfwsnc (talk) 16:31, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Because we need more a more diverse group of people creating and editing Wiki pages in order to increase the diversity of perspectives and topics covered. It will also empower college students to become more active learners and shapers of society. 18.104.22.168 17:02, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Salem is a phenomenal place and it's imperative we tell our own story at the level it deserves! We can't keep the best kept secret in NC a secret anymore:) 22.214.171.124 19:54, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is a great idea Labgoddess (talk) 19:57, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Let's do this!
- The goal of increasing the number of women editors - and also the effect of helping students understand the origin of Wikipedia information and the value of contributing to its information base. 126.96.36.199 21:29, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- It is essential to women's and the world's wellbeing. EdytaKOczkowicz (talk) 21:45, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- I am excited to see Salem's students add to the voices of women on Wikipedia. 188.8.131.52 21:29, 8 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is a great opportunity to get more people involved in the North Carolina Triangle Wikipedians User Group. Frankcjones (talk) 15:23, 9 March 2019 (UTC)
- A great project for students at the oldest women's college in the United States! 184.108.40.206 16:55, 9 March 2019 (UTC)
- Increasing the number of women editors, adding to the female content on Wikipedia, and providing more women college students with training in important 21st century skills are top reasons for supporting this project. 220.127.116.11 13:44, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- to increase college women editors Amy.rio (talk) 19:08, 12 March 2019 (UTC)
- It is my honor to endorse and support the Salem College grant project, A Digital Day of Service! 18.104.22.168 21:46, 12 March 2019 (UTC)
- This is a valuable tool for Salem. 22.214.171.124 17:48, 13 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'm serving as a volunteer for the project, working as an Events Organizer. 2606:A000:1012:89D6:6872:F081:5F68:E3F7 18:58, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'd like to help any way that I can 126.96.36.199 18:15, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer By incorporating the Salem Storms Wiki into my course content 2600:1700:3901:26C0:E54A:8334:D402:2E42 20:45, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer One of the site co-facilitators 188.8.131.52 12:58, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer Will prepare students and bring them to the event! 184.108.40.206 15:07, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer / Speaker should funding be allocated I've been approved by my department head to come down and on an for any technical assistance as well as speak at the event as discussed. Great work on this! Kayz911 (talk) 20:09, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer any way i can! 220.127.116.11 22:28, 5 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer Rebecca Dunn 18.104.22.168 14:52, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer My students will be participating in this event. Tsfwsnc (talk) 16:32, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'll help the students find and fact-check the information they find. 22.214.171.124 17:03, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer Would like to help. EdytaKOczkowicz (talk) 21:47, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer Support students in this effort. 126.96.36.199 16:56, 9 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer Assistance and support of the Salem College grant. 188.8.131.52 21:44, 12 March 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer I am a part of the Salem staff and would like to volunteer. 184.108.40.206 17:49, 13 March 2019 (UTC)