Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Muj(lh)eres latinoamericanas en Wikimedia User Group wants to support four edit-a-thons in Dominican Republic.
- To create a more inclusive and diverse editing community.
- To build a wikimedian community in Dominican Republic that could access and contribute to free knowledge.
- To recruit new women editors and to engage them as contributors on all Wikimedia projects.
- To promote the participation of Dominican women in all Wikimedia projects.
- To increase the number of Dominican women editors.
- To add and improve content about Dominican women.
- To organize meetups with the media and government staff to promote understanding of Wikimedia projects.
- To promote editathons in order to make visible the contributions of Dominican women to society.
- To foster a meeting space between Latin American women contributors to strengthen ties and a sense of belonging and community identity.
- To promote the importance of Wikipedia as a source of free and accessible information and to stimulate the use of Wikipedia (and Wikiquote and Commons) in Dominican Republic.
- In the future, we aspire to make this an annual event, supported every year by Muj(lh)eres latinoamericanas en Wikimedia User Group.
Muj(lh)eres latinoamericanas en Wikimedia plans to do four editathons in Dominican Republic around the country. We believe that is important that two volunteers with experience go to Dominican Republic to help, teach and organize the editathons, because the people there don t have any experience.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Muj(lh)eres latinoamericanas en Wikimedia User Group in Facebook.
- Wikipedia:Desafío 100 mujeres centroamericanas.
- Wikiquote:Desafío 100 mujeres latinoamericanas
- Blog of Muj(lh)eres latinoamericanas en Wikimedia User Group
- es:Wikipedia:Encuentros/Taller Introducción a Wikipedia Mujeres latinoamericanas en República Dominicana 2019
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
User:Imoisset, I am a long term user with many experience in editathons. I am co founder of Muj(lh)eres latinoamericanas en Wikimedia and co founder of es:Wikiproyecto:Mujeres/Mujeres en la arquitectura. I have directed research projects at Science and Technology organizations since 1999. I have lectured in courses and conferences in universities in countries such as Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Spain and Uruguay.
|Editatón deportivo Parque del Kempes Córdoba.
|Publication of Aprendiendo de Wikipedia, by Inés Moisset.
|Aprendiendo de Wikipedia
|n° de participantes
|n° de artículos realizados
|Editatona Mujeres en la Arquitectura 2015
Montevideo, Córdoba (Argentina) y Valencia
|Editatona Mujeres en Arquitectura 2016
Montevideo, Buenos Aires y Valencia
|Editatona Mujeres en Arquitectura 2017
|Editatona Mujeres en Arquitectura 2017
Santa Fe y Valencia
|Editatona Mujeres Latinoamericanas 2018
Mar del Plata
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
It has been booked one room at the National Library and another room at the Telecommunications Center, both in Santo Domingo. Both spaces have computers, internet and projection equipment. In Santiago de los Caballeros there is León Centre for the use of its Media Library which also has everything necessary to carry out the event.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We always follow the new editors and watch the new articles. Our main interest is to create a community of wikimedists in the Dominican Republic. We hope to be able to maintain contact online, to encourage them to edit and to build community. We intend to set a precedent so that this event can be replicated every year.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Even if Grants:Project/Rapid/Editatona Mujeres latinoamericanas en República Dominicana 2019 is founded, we believe that we need two experienced volunteers to carry on the project. There are a lot of things to do. MLW user group is interested in building communities throughout Latin America, to get people interested in our movement. In Dominican Republic there are no people with experience, there are no editors or people with experience in editathons or any activity about Wikimedia projects. Beginning with Dominican Republic, we hope this will be the beginning of a great campaign throughout Latin America. The most important goal of this project is not the number of articles created but that the Dominican Republic community knows Wikimedia projects and understands that Wikipedia is an important and accessible source of knowledge in which you can not only access the information but contribute to create it.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 4
- Number of participants 40
- Number of new editors 40
- Number of of articles created or improved 40
You have to consider that there are only 66 biographies of Dominican women in Wikipedia in Spanish, so 40 new articles will be a lot. We also aspire to upload material to Wikimedia Commons, to improve Wikidata and Wikiquote, so we hope we will arrive to more than 40 new articles. Anyway we aspire to create more articles and upload images to Commons.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We have already covered costs of internal transfers to the cities, internet connection, food and drinks for participants, child care, advertising, printed material, location and rooms for activities. We do not expect the Wikimedia Foundation to fund all aspects of the editathons or infrastructure. We already have spaces with computers, internet and projection equipment. Hotel and accommodation will be shared with volunteers.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
We need to cover the costs of the round trip for IMoisset from Argentina to Dominican Republic and the stay at the hotel.
1 international roundtrip flight from Buenos Aires to Santo Domingo @ $900
Food 8 days = @$400
Total amount $1300
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support
- The participation of I.moisset will be of great value for this project. Without her we will not be able to do everything we have planned to do. Jalu (talk) 15:45, 13 February 2019 (UTC)