Grants:Project/Rapid/Flixtey/WLM in Ghana/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We were able to meet all the goals stated in the grant page request. We added 728 free licensed photos, 200+ more than the estimated uploads. It was an engagement opportunity with existing wikimedians and an awareness opportunity for new/prospective contributors. This campaign has resulted in the reuse of these photos on existing articles and saw a recruitment of 8 new contributors to Wikimedia projects.
Also it is worth noting that this campaign of Wiki Loves Monument from Ghana has been the most successful of all time with a record upload of 728 as compared to the previous campaign that saw an upload of 107 images.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|500 images||728 images||We exceeded our target of 500 with over 228 more images uploaded during the campaign.|
|15 participants on each trip||17 participants||2 were onsite participants who joined in.|
|10% usage on other Wikis||3% usage stats on other Wikis||We have currently used 3% of our photos following a target of 10%. We will be working on this in the coming months as we are planning an edit-a-thon on such articles.|
|3 photo expeditions||3 photo expeditions organised||We met the entire number of proposed expeditions, but learnt in the process that some of these locations were far apart and required additional days of travel.|
|Host at least 1 upload session||Hosted 2 upload sessions||We hosted 2 as we realised that the were still some more pictures to be uploaded|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We partnered with a group of photographers, who we expected to upload pictures to the competition but unfortunately most of them were busy with other schedules so just had a few participating, participation was great from attendees, enthusiasm level was great
- What did not work so well?
- We didn't have a strong social media presence, hence a weak social media campaign. Some of the places of interest were very far apart so we couldn't visit those sites, places were not mapped well so we had difficulties finding some sites. Also some of the sites had no custodian or had passed and there was no one to allow us in or attend to us. Our partnership with the photogroup didn't also work well as expected, our programmes clashed with some of theirs which caused their inability to attend some events.
- What would you do differently next time?
- We will better research locations and probe further if locations are not present online. We will provide accommodation for further trips, where needed and not want to rush through everything in a day. We will also try to make contacts with indigens before making trips.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Item||Budget GHC||Actual Expenditure GHC||Comments|
|Trip (Greater Accra Region)||1500||1000||This includes the various places visited within the Greater Accra Region.|
|Trip (Western Region)||1500||1300||This includes the various places visited within the Western Region.|
|Trip (Ashanti Region)||1500||1500||This includes the various places visited within the Ashanti Region.|
|Feeding||2250||2250||This includes feeding (breakfast & lunch) for each trip. A total of GHC 750 per trip|
|Surfline||239||239||Internet used for the upload sessions|
|Water||54||51||GHC 17 per box and 1 box for each trip|
|Tshirts||-||200||We printed 10 tshirts at GHC 20 per each|
|Poster||-||50||It was an online poster that was created for the campaign. This indicates the amount paid to the deisgner|
|Jury meeting||-||150||We had an in person Jury meeting for the Jury on the first and second phases of selection and the third was done remotely.|
|Award for Winner||-||100||A dinner at Fiesta Royale Hotel|
|Ho Trip||-||100||We supported a member whom we gave the amount to travel to get pictures on the Ho Museum even though it was not in the initial plan.|
|Upload session||-||203.36||We forgot to include this in the budget however the differences in the transportation budget made up for this. We spent GHC 40 on transportation of food items to the venue, GHC 100 on pastries and GHC 63.36 on water and drinks.|
|Miscellaneous||352.15||175||This was not an entrance fee but was often given to caretakers because they asked before showing us around. This amount is a total for all the three trips made.|
|Grant funds received GHC||Actual Expense Total GHC||Remaining Amount GHC||Equivalent in USD|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
GHC 76.79 at current prevailing dollar amount of $18.11
Anything else you want to share about your project?
It was very difficult for us locating places and even when we did the caretakers where not around or had passed away. Since these sites were not entirely managed by the government it made it very difficult to predict some of these occurrences, however we have planned to make some contacts in similar projects before moving out. Another problem was that the history of these places were not documented but only told by the bearer of the knowledge which made writing articles about them difficult, as such types of references are not accepted on Wikipedia.