Grants:Project/Rapid/FroyAgta/2018 WikiTutorial and Monthly Meetups/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The PhilWiki Community has never been as vibrant as this due to the activities brought about by concurrent grants, and through the active involvement of its members.
- November 6, 2018 – Meeting held for the upcoming WikiTutorial. The call for the meeting was for the finalization of the WikiTutorial that will commence on 16 November 2018 at ESD Hall-Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (CBSUA). The team discussed the program, certificates, tarpaulin design for promotion, and awards for the winners. Attendees: Irvin Sto. Tomas, Maffeth Opiana, Leah Banastao, Marvin Molin and Froy Beraña.
- November 16 - WikiTutorial Session 1 was held at Central Bicol State University of Agriculture in Pili, Camarines Sur.
- November 23, 2018 – Meeting
- November 24 - The Community members and friends gathered for the 11th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary celebration and Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in the Philippines awarding ceremony in Naga City.
- November 25, 2018 – Wikitutorial promotion attended by the faculty and staff of Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (Pasacao and Pili campuses) with Marvin R. Molin and Leah B. Banastao.
- December 24 - Monthly Meeting and Year-end Celebration with 4 attendees. Membership application of Jp2593 was approved by the board.
- January 13 - WikiTutorial Session 2 was held in Naga City. Attendance: 11 including 7 new participants. New users were taught how to create an account, basic editing and adding references while existing contributors explored the Translation feature on English Wikipedia.
- February 3 - The last Monthly Meeting of the 2018-2019 board was held in Naga City with 9 community members in attendance.
- March 3 - The second Annual General Meeting was held at Caby's Cabana Restaurant, Elias Angeles St., Naga City with 5 members in person and 5 online attendance out of the thirteen (13) official members. The duly-elected as Trustees to serve for a one-year term are Irvin P. Sto. Tomas, Froy B. Beraña, Anthony B. Diaz, Maffeth C. Opiana and Ramon O. Olaño, Jr.
- The results of the election of officers are: Irvin P. Sto. Tomas, and Froy B. Beraña were reelected for another term as President and Vice President, respectively. Anthony B. Diaz was voted Treasurer, while Ramon O. Olaño, Jr. is the new Treasurer. Joseph V. Ciudadano was appointed Auditor.
- March 9 - The User Group joined WikiGap campaign. Four (4) new WikiTutorial participants joined the month-long WikiGap Challenge. This served as the WikiTutorial Session 3.
- March 24 - The 1st Board Meeting was held in Naga City. Attendance: Irvin, Ramon, Froy, Anthony, and Maffeth; Joseph was also present. Agenda: Equipment grant, WikiTutorial final month, Wikimedia conferences, Wikimedia communication channels, and PH-WC strategic planning in Catanduanes.
- April 8 - WikiGap Challenge Philippines ended with bcl:User:Maffeth.opiana and bcl:User:Brazal.dang making it to the top 10 contributors.
- April 8, 2019 - Hurop-Hurop, Huron-Huron: Usapang Panpanitikang Bikol attended by Froy P. Beraña to share about the Bikol Wikipedia initiative as advocacy in promoting and preserving Bikol language. It was held at CBSUA-Lecture Hall, Humanities Building. The forum sponsored by the Central Bicol State University of Agriculture, Sentro ng Wika at Kultura and Parasurat Bikolnon, Inc.
- April 25 - PHWC conducted an Outreach Activity in Catanduanes attended by around 50 elementary and high school teacher in Social Studies.
- May 7 - Formally request a space at Raul S. Roco Library thru Naga City Mayor John G. Bongat.
- May 18 - Conducted Wiki Loves Earth Philippines photo walk in San Pascual, Masbate.
- May 18 - 1Lib1Ref Campaign served as the WikiTutorial Session 4 which was held at University of Nueva Caceres in Naga City.
- June 7 - Formally requested a working space at Raul S. Roco Library thru Naga City Mayor John G. Bongat.
- June 18 - The community adopted its new constitution and by-laws on 21 May 2019 and it received the recognition as a non-stock non-profit company from the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Republic of the Philippines on 18 June 2019.
The main goals of this project are: to increase skills for existing contributors and to build the capacity of the organization. There were twenty (20) participants with different levels of online and offline skills, and level of involvement in the organization. Thirteen out of 20 participants have improved knowledge and skills on How to Edit and Formatting. Other topics were Translation (8/20); Adding Links and Citing Sources (8/20); Adding and Uploading Images (10/20); and WikiProject and WikiGnome (7/20). None of the participants attempted the 100 Wiki Days and 100 Wiki Commons Days challenges.
Monthly meetups were held coinciding activities namely the 10th Bikol Wikipedia Celebration in November (11/20); Wiki Loves Love in February (11/20), WikiGap Challenge in March (9/20), a community outreach in Catanduanes in April (7/20), 1Lib1Ref Campaign (7/20) and Wiki Loves Earth Photo Walk (5/20) in May, and Wiki Loves Earth Editathon in June (6/20). We were able to work with the following institutions throughout the program: Central Bicol State University of Agriculture, CBSUA-Sentro ng Wika at Kultura (SWK) or Center of Language and Culture, Parasurat Bikolnon writers organization, Department of Education—Division of Catanduanes, SurTe writers organization, Raul S. Roco Library, and University of Nueva Caceres.
By the end of the project, four (4) participants were admitted as members to the organization excluding 2 others who were non-participants. A new constitution and by-laws were adopted on 21 May 2019. The organization received the recognition as a non-stock non-profit company from the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Republic of the Philippines on 18 June 2019.
The following are the participants in the WikiTutorial and Monthly Meetups:
|Username||Contributions||How to edit and Formatting||Translation||Links and Citing Sources||Adding and uploading images||WikiProject and WikiGnome||November 10th Bikol Wikipedia Celebration||February Monthly Meeting and Wiki Loves Love||March Monthly Meetings and WikiGap||April Outreach in Catanduanes||May 1Lib1Ref Campaign||May Photo Walk||June WLE Editathon||Member of/joined the User Group|
Please report on your original project targets.
|1. Number of active editors involved||11||The program ran from November 17, 2018 to April 30, 2019.|
|2. Number of new editors||24||The program was intended for existing editors.|
|3. Number of individuals involved||60||Attendance in all sessions.|
|4a. Number of new media added to Wikimedia articles.||158||158 images out of the 158 images uploaded were used in wikimedia projects.|
|4b. Number of new media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. (Optional)||366||366 images uploaded were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|5. Number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||1.43K; 3.39K edits||531 articles created during the period of the program.|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||2.16M bytes added||WikiTutorial 2018 on Dashboard (also included WikiGap Philippines)|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Members were able to meet monthly not only for the WikiTutorial program but also for the regular meetings and outreach activities to build the capacity of the organization.
- In November 2018, members had a shooting of PH-WC's greetings for WikiCamp Nepal. The community members and friends gathered for the 11th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary celebration and Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in the Philippines awarding ceremony in Naga City. On 24 December 2018, a monthly meeting and year-end celebration was held with 4 attendees. A membership application was approved by the board. On 3 February 2019, The last Monthly Meeting was held in Naga City with 9 community members in attendance. The upcoming board election was among the agenda.
- In March 2019 alone, members met thrice for the second Annual General Meeting, WikiTutorial Session 3 and the launch of WikiGap Challenge Philippines which two participants made it to the top contributors international, and 'First Board Meeting of the new set of board members. Agenda: Equipment grant, WikiTutorial final month, Wikimedia conferences, Wikimedia communication channels, and PH-WC strategic planning in Catanduanes.
- In April 2019, two community outreach activities were conducted at Central Bicol State University of Agriculture, and in Catanduanes. Hurop-Hurop, Huron-Huron: Usapang Pampanitikang Bikol (Reflections, Dialogues: Bikol Literature Forum) was held at Lecture Hall, Humanities Building, CBSUA wherein Froy attended to share about the Bikol Wikipedia initiative as an advocacy in promoting and preserving the Bikol language. Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines 2019 photo walk was conducted and an outreach activity in Catanduanes was attended by around 50 elementary and high school teacher in Social Studies. During this month, two members were admitted in PH-WC: WikiGap Challenge Philippines winners Imelda Brazal and Wiki Loves Earth Philippines 2018 and Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2018 winner Ira Villanueva.
- Although the grant ended in April, an extension was requested before it ended. On May 1 and 5, WikiTutorial participant Leah Banastao and Cebuano Wikipedia administrator Joseph Vincent Libot became members of PH-WC, as well as WikiTutorial participants Marvin Molin and Marvin Aquino, respectively. Due to its urgency, in June, PH-WC formally requested a working space at Raul S. Roco Library thru Naga City Mayor John G. Bongat. The community adopted its new constitution and by-laws and it received the recognition as a non-stock non-profit company from the Securities and Exchange Commission of the Republic of the Philippines on 18 June. On June 30, the community collaborated with Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement, Kintab Artists Group, Sumaro Bikolnon, Partido State University and the City Government of Naga in celebration of the Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day. An art exhibit participated by some members of PhilWiki Community who are also into visual arts joined the Katood Art Exhibit.
- What did not work so well?
- Proposed schedules did not go as planned as the sessions went fluid and participants had different needs. On the first session (November 16), Wikipedia:Tutorial/Editing and Wikipedia:Tutorial/Formatting were thoroughly discussed. Instead of holding the second session on 15 December 2018 (Topics: Adding Links and Adding Citation), the participants met on January 13. In attendance: 11 including 7 new participants. New users were taught how to create an account, basic editing and adding references while existing contributors explored the Translation feature on English Wikipedia. These topics are not in the program, however, these topics arose during the session. In March 2019, PH-WC joined the WikiGap Campaign wherein four (4) new WikiTutorial participants joined the month-long challenge. This activity served as the third session wherein two participants made it to the top contributors, internationally.
- With only a month left to complete the sessions, opportunities came to do outreach activities. On April 8, 2019, Froy Beraña shared the role of Bikol Wikipedia in promoting and preserving Bikol languages at the Hurop-Hurop, Huron-Huron: Usapang Panpanitikang Bikol (Reflections, Dialogues: Bikol Literature Forum), a forum on Bikol literature attended by writers, teachers, and students. On April 25 April, an outreach activity in Catanduanes was conducted. Around 50 elementary and high school teacher in Social Studies were in attendance. On April 25, Irvin Sto. Tomas, Maffeth Opiana, Froy Beraña and Ian Kenneth Orasa conducted an Outreach Activity in Catanduanes during the Training Workshop on Pagmidbid sa Kultura, Pagdiskubre sa Isla (rediscovering the culture of the island) attended by around fifty (50) social Studies both in elementary and high school levels from Department of Education - Division of Catanduanes. The team shared about Wiki Education Program within and outside the Philippines, and Bikol Wikipedia as a learning resource. The participants were encouraged to get involved by contributing local knowledge on Wikipedia and to start local Wikipedia projects for Northern Catanduanes Bikol and Southern Catanduanes Bikol languages. The fourth and what would be the last session of WikiTutorial was held on 18 May 2019 during the 1Lib1Ref Campaign in the Philippines held at University of Nueva Caceres in Naga City. Around 30 librarians and library science students get acquainted by proper referencing on Wikipedia. The activity was organized by WikiTutorial participants namely Anthony Diaz, Imelda Brazal, Ramon Olaño and Marvin Molin. Topics namely: 100 Wiki Days Challenge, and 100 Wiki Commons Days were no longer discussed for lack of time.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Although it is more easier said than done, do follow-up activities within the next month. More planning, coordination, free time and resources are required to realize these. Having not just one project going have helped the organization sustained regular meetings, campaigns and advocacy activities which would not be possible without the resources and networking.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (PHP)||Total (PHP/USD)||Actual Expense (PHP/USD)||Notes|
|1||WikiTutorials||4||PHP 10,000.00||PHP 40,000.00
|Tutorial from basic content editing to joining a WikiProject|
|2||Meet-ups||4||PHP 5,000.00||PHP 20,000.00
|Offline discussion and follow-up tutorial|
|3||Internet||20||PHP 1,000.00||PHP 20,000.00
|Allowance for internet rental and/or internet data of participants who may need assistance|
|Rewards to productive participants|
|6||Contingency cost||PHP 6,000.00
|Total: PHP 106,000.00 (USD 1,980.02) | Total Expense: PHP (USD)|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?