Grants:Project/Rapid/Gikü/Photo expedition before WLE 2017 in Moldova
- Promote local contest
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- One tour in one day on a car, three people involved: me as organizer, the driver, and a reporter from Eco FM.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- During the day, we plan to visit at least ten of the following protected areas:
- MD-ST-rs-001 Codru scientific reserve, the most well-known scientific reserve in Moldova (commonscat); access is free but we may also benefit from guidance; see #Resources
- MD-ST-amm.B-013 cottonseed field near Căpriana (no images)
- MD-ST-amm.B-014 cottonseed field near Lozova (no images)
- MD-ST-mn.A-072 "La Chetrărie" ravine (no images)
- MD-ST-rn.A-044 Condrița nature reserve (no images)
- MD-CL-rn.A-009 Sadova nature reserve (no images)
- MD-CL-rp-013 Voloca-Verbca landscape reserve (no images)
- MD-CL-map-006 Park of larch, linden, and coniferous trees in Rassvet (no images)
- MD-CL-mn.B-004 Water springs of Nișcani (no images)
- MD-CL-mn.A-014 "Cimitirul cailor" excavations site (no images)
- MD-ST-mn.A-071 "Cazacu" excavations site (no images)
- By taking photos of these areas, it is planned to enrich the gallery of WLE 2017 in Moldova, and to promote the contest by providing a 'how it's done' showcase afterwards; worth mentioning, WLE 2017 in Moldova starts on May 15.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- The images are saved on my laptop, and I am willing to upload them to Commons shortly after the event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Eco FM will bring their own DSLR camera; they have experience documenting their news stories with photos.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: not applicable
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: at least 100 photographies of at least 10 protected areas of Moldova +random pictures of settlement and places on the road
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: at least one image per each Wikidata item of a protected area
- Improvement on the number of participants of WLE 2017 in Moldova: around 50% increase from previous year (up from 17 participants in 2016)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have a DSLR camera, provided by our local partner Eco FM
- We have a fairly good understanding of the locations of the protected areas to be visited, so it's no to little time planned fof asking for directions
- We have the promotion of WLE Moldova, Wikipedia română and Eco FM at hand, pre- and post-event.
- We may benefit from the services of a guide
, if they are available on May 1 which is a national holiday in Moldova; the expenses will be on our own.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount. We need to fund the following:
- 15 USD: Diesel fuel 12 liters, 15 MDL (around .78$) a liter + 3 liters for unplanned road (if it starts raining in the forest, we may face problems being in a lightweight Opel Astra). The planned route is 140 km long: see map.
- 25 USD: Food for three persons: lunch + snacks + beverage; a lunch in a guest house near Codru nature reserve costs around 120 MDL (6$), we can also pack up some snacks/beverages on the road (5$) and another 2$ spare.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This is the first wiki-expedition organized by the Romanian community and will help gather experience for future activities. The required sum is small enough to make the experiment worth while regardless of the outcome (although I 'm sure Giku will make sure the result will be there) Strainu (talk) 10:16, 18 April 2017 (UTC)
- Moldova succeeded in organising Wiki Loves Earth last year. Covering new natural sites is a very valuable outcome for Wiki Loves Earth. It will be also an important experience for a small Wikimedia community in Moldova — NickK (talk) 22:32, 1 May 2017 (UTC)