Grants:Project/Rapid/Global Open Initiative/Activating Local Language Communities/Dagbani
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content in
- Incubator (Dagbani Wikipedia)
- English Wikipedia
- Recruit new editors on Wikimedia projects
- Engage existing editors on Wikimedia projects
- Activate Dagbani Language Wikimedia Community
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- As part of Global Open Initiative's intiatives about Improving Local Language Wikipedias, this contest ultimately seeks to specifically reactivate the Dagbani Language Wikipedia community that has laid dormant for the last 6 years since 2014; to nurture it, and support it to become autonomous and thrive on its own. Being one of the 28 Oti–Volta_languages, Dagbani is an almost lingua franca in the northern half of Ghana as well as in parts of southern halves of Burkina Faso and Benin, primarily because it is mutually-intelligible with the languages in some of these regions comprising 12 million speakers. We aim to have it become an inspiration for smaller nearby-language communities to emerge; including Gonja, Mampruli, Kusaal, Dagaati and Gurunɛ, and so on.
- The content of the contest will be focused on Wikidata and Dagbani/English Wikipedias. The theme of the contest will concern notable personalities from Northern Ghana featured on the My Northern Achiever television program. This emerged upon deliberation with the Dagbani Wikimedia community. Given that the community are already familiar with the names of these notable personalities who also happen to be well covered in the press, the list on that show helped us to avoid the ambiguity of having to determine for ourselves who was (or was not) notable. Hence, people expressed a keen interest in writing about them.
- Three editathon sessions shall be held prior to the contest, primarily to provide hands-on Wikipedia and Wikidata training.
- 30 full days from October 1 to 30 shall be allowed for the period of the competition.
- Judges will use one week to clean up Wikipedia and Wikidata entries as well as to tabulate scores.
- Winners shall be announced and prizes awarded in the first week of October.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Global Open Initiative social media spaces
- Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup mailing list
- Wikimedians of Africa mailing list
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Case 1: First, the contest will award the participants with the highest number of edits made to Wikidata, Incubator (Dagbani Wikipedia) and English Wikipedia. This can easily be determined using metrics from the Outreach Dashboard tool and articles history pages. This criterion will not judge the quality or relevance of edits made.
- Case 2: Second, participants will be judged on the quality of edits, and the relevance of their edits to the competition. That means judges will have to manually examine the number of Wikipedia articles they have destubbed and/or improved, as well as the relevant statements they have added to their respective Wikidata items. Inspired by The Parliament of Ghana series of contests, the competition will recycle a system that has worked well for our community, and stands to benefit from the collective experience we have gained from organising similar activities for a long time now.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Our goal for this project is to revive the Dagbani Wikipedia and we will apply the following rules:
- Case 1 criterion: Rank of participants with the highest edit count.
- Case 2 criterion: Destubbed Wikipedia article must equal or exceed a prose size of 1000 (i.e. 1000 kilobytes of data added to the article)
- In all, participants are expected to add the following Wikidata statements, labels and qualifies:
- English Label -->
- English Description -->
- Dagbani Label -->
- Dagbani Description -->
- instance of (P31) --> human (Q5)
- sex or gender (P21) -->
- occupation (P106) -->
- date of birth (P569) -->
- place of birth (P19) -->
- country of citizenship (P27) --> Ghana (Q117)
- on focus list of Wikimedia project (P5008) --> My Northern Achiever (Q98826547)
The project will organize Wikipedia and Wikidata editathons to lunch the contest. These editathons will:
- Bring awareness to the contest and generally to Wikidata and Wikipedia
- Serve as an opportunity to better explain the rules and objectives of the contest
- Provide in-person training for new editors who may be interested to join the contest
- Increase skills for existing editors who may already be familiar to Wikipedia and Wikidata
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 10
- Number of Dagbani articles created or improved: 30
- Number of English articles created or improved: 30
- Number of items created or improved: 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The project will rely on 4 judges and use support from other team members too.
- Other support
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Table 1
- The prices listed in this table are the equivalent in shopping gift cards we shall award. The competition will not award winners any physical cash.
Table 1 updated
|Dagbani Wikipedia||Highest edit count||500|
|Destubbed Wikipedia articles||500|
|English Wikipedia||Highest edit count||500|
|Destubbed Wikipedia articles||500|
|Wikidata||Highest edit count||500|
|Other Top Female contributor||Based on volume of edits||500|
|Other Top Female contributor||Based on quality of edits||500|
Table 2 updated
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc|
|Workshops data allowance (participants)||We will have 3 separate all-day workshops for Wikidata, English Wikipedia and Incubator (Dagbani Wikipedia); expecting 20 participants at each session||20||60||1200|
|Workshops data allowance (facilitators)||4 facilitators will provide training and support for the workshops||20||4||80|
|Data allowance (contest participants)||We estimate for 20 people to participate in the month-long contest||20||100||2000|
|Surfline internet routers for jurors||Router (and/or data allowance) for 5 jurors will build contest pages, correct mistakes, review and mark entries, etc||499||5||2495|
|Prizes||Outlined in the above table||n/a||n/a||4000|
|Wiki souvenirs & certificates||Including Wikipedia Tshirts for the jury and other non-winning participants who made substantial contributions||n/a||n/a||1000|
|Bank charges||Transfers and Reimbursement charges||n/a||n/a||200|
|Transportation||Purchase and mailing of shopping vouchers, purchase and delivery of souvenirs||n/a||n/a||600|
|Based on Oanda Exchange (1 September 2020)||Ghc||11575|
|1 USD = 5.78885 Ghc||USD||1999.53|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support I endorse this project. Sunkanmi12 (talk) 22:49, 2 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I endorse this project. Nana yaa series (talk) 13:27, 3 September 2020 (UTC)
- Support Great project to support our indigenous Ghanaian languages.I endorse.Abdulai Jamila (talk) 13:30, 3 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong supportI endorse this projectDhee jah (talk) 15:13, 3 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I endorse this project Oladipupo193 (talk) 16:33, 3 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I endorse this projectWarmglow (talk) 17:46, 3 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I fully support this project.Jemima2019 (talk) 12:13, 4 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I fully support this project.Gramalow (talk) 09:34, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I support this project.Alidu Shafawu (talk) 21:11, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support Our indegineous languages are part of us. We need to preserve them. I am happy to be part of this project.Mumuni Y Yunus (talk) 21:54, 5 September 2020 (UTC)
- Strong supportCelestinesucess (talk) 12:48, 8 September 2020 (UTC)