Grants:Project/Rapid/Hindi WikiConference, 15-16 July at (Delhi)
Hindi is world's 4th most spoken language. Hindi Wikipedia is biggest Indic Language Wikipedia. It has 1,19,000+ articles.Around 258 million (258,000,000) people in India reported Hindi to be their native language. We have less than 50 active regular editors. Hindi Wikipedia needs more offline activities (meet-ups/conferences) for improvement. Developing Hindi Wikipedia Community and projects is very important since it will serve more than 258 million people.
Future of Hindi is bright. According to Google-KPMG Report - Hindi internet users are expected to outnumber those accessing the web in English by 2021, Hindi users are estimated to reach 201 million (20.1 crore) as against the English userbase of 199 million (19.9 crore) in 2021.
This meet-up will help us to plan a strategy for Hindi Wikipedia outreach and development.
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
The meeting aims to discuss topics and issues in Hindi Wikipedia.
- Discussion over Report of Previous Conference (Jan-2017, Bhopal) and Identify areas of improvement for future meet-ups/conferences.
- Deliberations over ways & means to improve quality of articles, policies review, co-ordinated development, Training and addressing editing related problems of members.
- Discussion over the formation, management, future strategies of newly formed User Group Hindi Wikimedians
- Discussion on strategies for offline activities e.g. outreach/institutional partnerships
- Development of sister projects like Hindi Wikisource, Hind Wikitravel etc.
Detailed agenda is placed at Village Pump on Hindi Wikipedia.
- Two day meet-up of Hindi Wikipedians in July.
- Workshops to promote Hindi Wikipedia and Wikisource.
- Discussions regarding the future of Hindi Wikimedians User Group.
Hindi Wikipedia and Hindi Wikisource
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Hindi is world's 4th most spoken language. Hindi Wikipedia is biggest Indic Language Wikipedia. We have 1,17,969+ articles and 258 million (258,000,000) people in India reported Hindi to be their native language. Hindi Wikipedia needs more offline activities (meet-ups/conferences) for improvement. During India Community Consultation 2014 Hindi Wikipedians requested special attention towards Hindi Wikipedia, everyone encouraged representatives to take lead and plan activities. This meet-up will be effort towards same.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- We would deem these celebrations a success, if
- at least 15 active Hindi Wikipedians and enthusiasts attend the meeting.
- basic framework for Hindi Wikimedians Usergroup is prepared
- a roadmap for future meet-ups, offline activities is craeated
- discussion about tricky wiki policies takes place.
- Ideas/issues/strategies/policies discussed at the meeting are documented;
- project plan for programatic work (writing competitions, government outreach, institutional partnership etc)
- if the feedback of the participants would be generally positive.
- INR 128,500.00, (USD) 1,999.63
|Serial Number||Type of Expense||Approx. Amount (INR)|
|1||Travel Expenses for out-station Wikipedians||40,000 /-|
|2||Stay for 2 days||25,000 /-|
|3||First Day-Conference Hall and Accessories with Breakfast/lunch/high tea||22,000 /-|
|4||Food -Day-1-Dinner||7,000 /-|
|5||Day-2 Breakfast/lunch/Tea/Dinner||13,740 /-|
|6||Local Transportation for 2 days||5,000 /-|
|7||SWAG for edit-a-thons prticipants||9,000 /-|
|8||Internet/Mobile expence||3,000 /-|
|9||Press Conference||3,000 /-|
|10||Stationary,Flex,notepad etc.||3,000 /-|
|11||Momento and Shawls for Dignitaries||3,000 /-|
- We have years of experience carrying out local outreach and organizing events.
- Suyash Dwivedi : Organiser of Hindi Wikipedia Conference,14-15 January 2017 at Bhopal (India)
- Swapnil Karambelkar : Co-Organiser and facilitator of Hindi Wikipedia Conference,14-15 January 2017 at Bhopal (India)
- अभिनव श्रीवास्तव : Volunteer at WikiConference India 2011, Mumbai. Organizing Committee Wiki Conference India 2016, Chandigarh. Organized Hindi Wiki Sammelan 2015, Delhi. Previous EC member at Wikimedia India.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support for community enhancement. NehalDaveND (talk) 05:00, 11 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support It will improve Hindi Wiki community health -- Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 13:46, 12 June 2017 (UTC)
- Strong support : Meetups are required on monthly basis for Hiwiki.--Anamdas (talk) 18:36, 14 June 2017 (UTC)
- Strong support :Hindi is 4th language in world. for growth of hiwiki meetup is required.--आर्यावर्त (talk) 03:02, 15 June 2017 (UTC)
- Strong support : To support Hindi Wikipedia reach new heights we need to be in frequent touch mutually. For this only chat and emails won't do. We need to meet up frequently and discuss issues related to hindrances in the way and ideas be exchanged for the makeup of the way to achieving the heights. We need to have big meetings at least twice a year and rapid ones rapidly means at least four a year, making six in all. --Ashish Bhatnagartalk 04:08, 15 June 2017 (UTC)
- Strong support This is Good for hiwiki.- Jayprakash12345 (talk) 11:56, 15 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support Raju Jangid (talk) 18:10, 15 June 2017 (UTC)