Grants:Project/Rapid/IMD/Indic Hackathon 2022
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Technical contributors play a crucial role supporting the editors and helping to make their contribution work easy by developing new tools, fixing bugs in the software etc. Though India does have a technical community, it is less connected, even more so after the pandemic hit. In India especially, not many technical events were conducted even online. There were some workshops under the Small wiki toolkits initiative by the User Group but nothing much apart from that.
As the main hackathon is happening this year in a hybrid format from 20 to 22 May 2022, the User Group would like to take this opportunity to host an in-person hackathon. As the world is opening up, we also feel that it does make sense to host an in-person event rather than online, of course with all appropriate safety measures. In the last two years, we realized that many things can be organized online, however, certain components such as forming new social connections don’t work in an online event. While the goal is work on pending technical issues, brainstorm new ideas, we also want to bring together the technical community in India and some newcomers with a technical background locally from the venue city (Hyderabad).
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
Before the event, we will be sending out an open call for participation where community members from across India can apply for scholarships to participate in the program. We will form a team of three independent reviewers to review the applications, and decide the scholarships.
The program during the event: as this will be a participant driven program, many activities depend on the participants’ interests and skills. But we will try to maintain the format of the main hackathon, which will include the following components:
- Social activity and ice-breaker with community members
- Introduction to Wikimedia movement in India
There will two tracks (workshop and hackathon):
- We will run the following session in the workshop track (for newcomers), this will start on Day ) for orientation purpose:
- Overview of Wikimedia technical areas
- MediaWiki gadget and userscripts
- Wikimedia Toolforge and Cloud VPS
- We will do the following activities in the hackathon track:
Apart from this, Indic MediaWiki Developer User Group will have the first in-person meeting to plan their annual activities. Depending on participants' interest, we are also hoping to explore some data related dashboards for the Indic community.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 10 + 3-4 (organizers) + 2 resource person (one each from CIS-A2K and WMF)
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): n/a
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): n/a
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): n/a
- For a hackathon, it is hard to predict the number of bugs we would resolve or tools we would build, however, we will have a task list to guide the participants, but they can choose to work on any other technical task of their interest. The main goal is to promote collaboration and help people make new connections, learn skills that will later be useful across the movement.
What resources do you have? what they will do, and if Include information on who is the organizing the project, you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Resource persons
- A person from CIS-A2K (yet to be decided)
- User:SGill (WMF)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|#||Item||Description||Quantity||Cost per unit||Total|
|1||Travel||For budget, we are considering flights for scholarship recipients and organizers. Depending on distance to the venue, appropriate mode of travel will be provided.||11||₹10,000||₹110,000|
|2||Local travel||From airport/rail/bus station to the venue and in participants' cities. We plan to invite some local residents during the day, so additional quantity is required here.||15||₹6,000||₹90,000|
|3||Accommodation with breakfast||Provided for scholarship recipients and organizers on twin-sharing||18 (6 rooms, 3 nights)||₹4,000||₹72,000|
|4||Conference room with lunch||21 and 22 May 2022||30 (15 people, 2 days)||₹1,000||₹30,000|
|5||Dinner||-||36 (12 people, 3 nights)||₹650||₹23,400|
|6||Zero-Day Budget||Conference room for 3 hours, local travel, and refreshments for scholarship recipients and local newcomers on 20 May 2022||1||₹12,000||₹12,000|
|7||COVID-19 safety measures||N95 masks, sanitizers, pre-event medical tests (if required) etc.||1||₹15,000||₹15,000|
|8||Contingency||Any unforeseen expenses||1||₹30,000||₹30,000|
US$4,967.95 as on 8 March 2022
- Note: This is the first in-person event after the pandemic, and so we have quoted prices to account for any uncertainty, the actual spend might be lower.
- Greetings Team, It is అ great learning opportunity for community ,I am sure that it will bring back momentum Kasyap (talk) 12:12, 14 March 2022 (UTC)
- This is the best opportunity to meet, learn and share the technical needs, challenges and implementation across various local communities and projects which is happening around. It would encourage the contributors to analyse and contribute to the projects pf their interests and stay updated with the latest improvements made across the Wiki projects. Thus I strongly endorse this proposal.