Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Improve the quality of vital articles, assumed to gain the most attention of readers, especially youngsters when they come to Wikipedia to explore knowledge about the world.
- Create an environment where editors can improve their writing and translation skills, including improving their English.
- Attract editors who pay attention to vital and quality articles.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We focus mostly on a form of editathon in this project but some minor parts are related to training on how to write content according to Wikipedia written styles, search sources, do translations, and synthesize content from different sources.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We will publicly notice the Vietnamese editors and other Vietnamese projects such as Vietnamese Wikibook, Vietnamese Wiktionary, etc. We also notice the members of Vietnam Wikimedians User Group.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- There are 2 main forms that a participant can communicate with us: on-wiki and email. The on-wiki channel will open on Meta spaces (relevant to this project) to enhance collaboration between editors and the project's transparency.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
- Alphama: I am currently a sysop of viwiki and have joined Wikipedia since 2012.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high-quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- To improve the quality of vital articles is not an easy task for all participants. They must join Wikipedia for a few weeks to understand Wikipedia written styles, Wikipedia policies, and gain experience in writing, translation, and paraphrasing. Therefore, to help new fresh comers, we also open an open space (discussion name) to explain to them about the Wikipedia policies and related things.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- After the contest, we, the organizers must re-check all the vital articles and do some surveys and statistics to see the impact of the project on the community.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- No, I am not running any in-person events or activities. This project will be organized remotely to avoid the problems coming from COVID-19 and protect all stakeholders.
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- In this project, we do not stress the number of articles that must be written in total like other written contests do. We care more about the quality not the quantitative. Since then, we expect to create a quality model for other contests later on not only in Vietnamese Wikipedia but also for other similar projects of other language editions.
- The project will be held under the individual project, we invite a group of editors, including new and old ones to join this project. Recently, Vietnamese Wikipedia has had many discussions about machine translations so we prefer to have an individual project to avoid harsh arguments that may have related and been harmful to the edit-a-thon.
- The participants must write the updated content of articles in draft spaces first, then the mentors and organizers will check the content before updating on Vietnamese Wikipedia. We do this step to be sure that we can obtain the content quality and control who will be responsible for the updated content.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 3-20
- Number of articles created or improved: 20-150
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): -
- Alphama: organizer
- NXL1997: participant
- FoxSerfaty: participant
- Mintu Martin: participant
- Mongrangvebet: participant
- NhacNy2412: participant
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Unfortunately, we currently do not have any additional funding for the contest.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Our editathon will be held for 2 months ~ 60 days, we need to offer the following resources:
- Internet: 240 USD, 20 USD/month for each participant
- Electric: 360 USD, 30 USD/month for each participant
- Fan: 180 USD, 30 USD/each participant. I will give the participants a fee to buy fans which serve in their contribution process.
In total fee: 780 USD.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support - This will significantly help improve the local Wikipedia. Filipinayzd (talk) 01:58, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - As the role of the organizer. Alphama (talk) 07:55, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - Vietnamese Wikipedia requires projects like this. NhacNy2412 (talk) 09:27, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - An essential project to improve the quality of Vietnamese Wikipedia. --NXL1997 (talk) 09:58, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - This is a great time to improve the vital article of Vietnamese Wikipedia. I hope that this project will be organized successfully. Mintu Martin (talk) 11:38, 26 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - I agree with you. Zajzajmkhvtc90 (talk) 10:48, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - A project that aims to improve the, ostensibly, most consumed articles, thus will have exceptionally significant impact on the Vietnamese Wikipedia's utility.FoxSerfaty (talk) 12:25, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
- Support Sounds like a good initiative. SD0001 (talk) 19:45, 28 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - I believe this idea will improve the quality of Vietnamese Wikipedia's vital articles Mongrangvebet (talk) 13:28, 29 June 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - Even though no one invite me. Unnamed UserName me 07:38, 29 July 2021 (UTC)