Grants:Project/Rapid/InFormAzioni/Wiki Loves Earth Italy 2019/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
This project started with huge expectations, as the first edition involving the whole country after the previous edition (the first of Wiki Loves Earth in Italy) that involved only the Alpine area. We worked hard to extend the contest to the other areas of the country, working on Wikidata to upload databases from Ministry of Environment, Regions and Provinces. All this job took the photographable areas from 481 of the 2018 edition to the actual amount of 3,262 unique areas. After that, these areas were put in the lists, divided per region and provinces, and we are proud of the final result of this organizational phase.
Despite this great preparation work and great expectations, total loadings and participation were well below expectations. The final data amount to 3,826 images (eighth place worldwide) uploaded by 408 photographers (seventh place worldwide). We do not know how to explain this unexpected low number of uploads: a drop in uploads could not be foreseen, passing from 481 to 3,262 photographable areas, from a limited area to the entire national territory! This "low" number of uploads prevented us from reaching our targets, defined in the request for this grant (explanations in the outcome paragraph).
At the end of the project we can therefore define ourselves disappointed by its total progress. We are satisfied with the work done on the Wikimedia projects (Wikidata elements and definitive lists) but we are disappointed with regards to participation and the number of photographs. After this experience we will evaluate new strategies for future editions (explanations in the learning paragraph), maybe focusing on natural areas still without images.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of participants: about 1,000||408 uploaders||Target not achived: -39% compared to the 2018 edition|
|Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: between 10k and 15k||3,826 images uploaded||Target not achived: -34% compared to the 2018 edition|
|Declaration P18 compiled for at least 50% of the items of the Italian natural areas on Wikidata||22.69% of Wikidata items with P18 compiled||Targeet not achieved: +7,85% compared to the situation before the start of the 2019 contest (Area control file)|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Confirming the good work already done last year, there were a quite good response from public institutions. This year we asked for support only to the 20 Italian regions, and we received a positive answer from 12 of them; in addition we received the support from the Italian Ministry of the Environment and the Representation in Italy of the European Commission (details about our network of supporters). As in 2018, we haven't had any problem with the international team of Wiki Loves Earth and the team that manage the Montage jury tool.
- What did not work so well?
- For the second year we worked hardly on communication using a lot of channels: official site, social networks, and press releases. Unfortunately we didn't receive a great media coverage, so our press mentions were still under the expectations. In addition of this, we had problems with the managing team of the Central Notice: for the second year in a row we had to share the CN with the fundraising campaign of Wikimedia Italy, so we were the only national campaign that had the CN just for two weeks. Unfortunately, we have to report that the discussion didn't happen in a good "wiki spirit".
- What would you do differently next time?
- For the next edition we will review completely our targets and our strategy. Confirmed that it is very difficult to obtain good media coverage, we will work more on quality than on quantity, and we will focus more on the community already on the Wikimiedia projects instead of the general public. We will try to move the contest period to an other time table, in order to avoid the removing of the Central Notice again. If the collaboration and the attention of the community will be low again, we will evaluate whether to repeat the contest again.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
The total budget was 1,514.50 EUR. It was allocated for:
- 7 prizes (Trenitalia gift card) of 100.00 EUR from 10th to 4th position: 700.00 EUR
- 3 prizes (Trenitalia gift card) of 150.00 EUR from 3rd to 1st position: 450.00 EUR
- 3 prizes (Books voucher) of 50.00 EUR from 3rd to 1st position: 150.00 EUR
- Printing high quality certificates and other stationery costs: 21.50 EUR
- Shipping expenses for prizes and certificates from 10th to 4th position: 68.00 EUR
- Shipping expenses for prizes and certificates for the first three positions: 24.15 EUR
- International bank transfer fee: 14.50 EUR
- Total expenses: 1,428.15 EUR
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes. The remaining grant funds amount to 86.35 EUR.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Specific explanations of the file data can be requested at the grantee
- Different shipping method due to the monetary value of the prize to be sent
- Expense taken directly by WMF