Grants:Project/Rapid/Irvin Stotomas/Wiki Loves Monuments 2019 in the Philippines
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To engage new and existing contributors of the community
- To add freely licensed and quality images of built heritage of the Philippines to Wikimedia Commons
- To spread awareness about contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects
- To create partnership with organizations and institutions promoting the preservation of built heritage in the Philippines
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on quality images of built heritage in the Philippines, which will be contributed to Wikimedia Commons. The competition is important because it will help raise awareness about Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia in the Philippines.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Contest landing page on Commons
- Social media promotion
- Central Notice (global banner)
- Community outreach activities such as photo walk
- Word of mouth
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a jury composed of people from the Wikimedia community and professional photographers. Prizes will be in term of money. The jury will determine the winners of the local contest taking into consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will utilize those uploaded resources in Wikimedia projects by communicating to contributors through e-mail or talk page.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 100
- Irvin Sto. Tomas - Project Lead
- Maffeth Opiana - Outreach
- Ira Villanueva - Promotion
- Nabin K. Sapkota - Selection
- Ramon Olaño - Awarding
- 1 USD = 50.99 PHP as of 20 July 2019 https://www.oanda.com
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (PHP)||Total (PHP)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Community outreach activity||1||PHP 10,000||USD 196.12||Photography walk/expedition to engage past and new volunteers, and photographers|
|2||Social media promotion||PHP 0||USD 0||Sponsored posts to reach wider audience|
|3||Awards||3||varies||PHP 30,000||USD 588.34||1st Prize: PHP 15,000 (USD 294.17)|
2nd Prize: PHP 10,000 (USD 196.12)
3rd Prize: Toshiba Canvio Basics (new) 2TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black), Super Speed Slim Storage with 3 YEARS WARRANTY4 PHP 4,299 (USD 84.31)
money transfer and shipping fee for certificates 3
|4||Trophy||PHP||USD 0||Customized trophies|
|5||Awarding ceremony||PHP 5,000||USD 98.05||Venue and foods for the attendees (12 pax)|
|6||Contingency cost||PHP 5,990||USD 117.47||Logistical expenses for organizing and meetings, and unexpected expenses|
|Total: PHP 50,990 (USD 1,000 )|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here! Allanjay quesada
- This project is crucially important because it will raise awareness about the Philippines' built heritage, namely through its historical monuments, which currently suffer from lack of institutional support and vulnerable to real estate speculators. At the same time, this action will also raise awareness in the Philippines about the role of Wikimedia Commons in safeguarding these culturally important sites and encourage greater Filipino participation in Wikipedia, more broadly. Steven*fung~bclwiki (talk) 10:44, 28 July 2019 (UTC)
- I support on this project, because it will raise and also promote the Philippine built heritages, and making interesting to know its background or history also :) -- ShiminUfesoj 11:36, 28 July 2019 (UTC)
- This project will really help to contribute images on some articles of Wikipedia. It is a very good initiative! Time goes by, ancient monuments in the Philippines soon will be vanished. This noble initiative is a great help to preserve the monuments, at least on images, to see its significant story, culture, and history. MarvinBikolano 6:52, 31 July 2019 (UTC)
- Allanjay quesada 8/92019 Allanjay quesada (talk) 06:09, 9 August 2019 (UTC)
- I would like to endorse this project for being a great value to the Wikimedia movement. I have also observed that the organizers were able to pull off similar projects in the past and I would like to congratulate them for doing so. More power to the organizers. JinJian (talk) 10:46, 9 August 2019 (UTC)
- nice project Billie bb (talk) 06:34, 10 August 2019 (UTC)
- It will bind the community together while creating valuable content assests 188.8.131.52 01:05, 11 August 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer Pa volunteer! :) 184.108.40.206 01:05, 11 August 2019 (UTC)