Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Build new wiki community in the region of Prachatice, create cooperation with local cultural and educational institutions
- Strengthen the South Bohemian wiki community
- Add or improve content related to the Prachatice Region
- Increase skills for existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon, training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning a weekend edit-a-thon in the town of Prachatice to create and improve articles which are related to the region (list of proposed articles to work on). The second goal is to recruit new editors and establish an active editing community in the region. There will be curators from the Museum of Prachatice and possibly other interested individuals or institution representatives (library, hight school, town hall, etc.).
2. How will you let your community know about this event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- There is an event page on Czech Wikipedia which summarizes the event, displays its rules, Friendly space policy, program, allows to show interest and discussion. Some users were invited in person, others via Wikipedia and Facebook pages. We will be also inviting on German Wikipedia, because the location is near to the Czech-German/Austrian border. Our partners will inform on their websites. We are planning to present it on Wikipedia's regular meetings. Moreover, we will release a press release to the local media before and after the event. Further list of allready existing invitations and announcements is below:
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- At this time we have at least five skilled editors who can help others. We have also three skilled Wikimedia Commons contributors who may help on the site of digitalization or assist potential photographers. New particiapants will get the guideline, with information on how to contribute with images or videos and will get videotutorials on common problems and mistakes when editing Wikipedia or contributing to Wikimedia Commons.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Most participants will have their own laptops (cameras). For others, mostly local attendees, there will be spare computers in the venue. Internet and printed resources will be provided by our partner, Museum of Prachatice. Other printed resources will be provided by the local library. Our team allready prepared the list of relevant literature resources. We will have the major ones in two copies to allow their use by more participants at the same time. The Museum will provide us at least one professional for searching and acquiring information. For those who would like to create and upload images, we will prepare the list of objects to be documentated with further guidelines.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We have been in contact with the local GLAM, schools and political representatives for several months. The goal was to advocate Wikipedia as a great platform of the present and the future, the place where the local museum, library, schools and the town itself may benefit, and at the same time will bring benefits to Wikipedia, so it is a win-win situation.
- After the agreement of local stakeholders to cooperate on the organisation of this Edit-a-thon, we may prove that the previously presented statements and evidance realy works. As there will be post-event wiki evaluation and reporting to wiki community; also, the evaluation and reporting on the site of our cooperators will be done by them.
- This will lead us to the future cooperations, which were already discussed previously, strengthening the ties of local enthusiasts and institutions to Wikipedia and removing that general anxiety towards new technologies, which might be more prevalent in such societies than in the young people of the capital city. With wiki editors, we will stay for sure in touch via Wikipedia itself, we may stranghten their joy on other events or on the cooperation on online projects.
- Local enthusiasts and members of the institutions are not only motivated by the fact that someone else is interested in their region and wants to deliver the information to the world, but also by the short presentation and tutorial on the beginning of the event.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Our team member Elektracentrum, who is in charge of outreach on site and negotiates the partnership, created partnerships and common projects enriching Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons before in the region of Beroun. This project is than the continuation of his previous work.
- The project does not only strenghten the ties of local groups to Wikipedia as mentioned in the previous answer, but it also strenghtens the ties of skilled wiki editors to Wikipedia and animates them to increase contribution.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 10
- Number of new editors: 2
- Number of new partners (GLAM, schools): 3
- Number of possible common projects: 2
- Number of of articles created or improved: 45
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): n/a
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The venue is provided by Museum of Prachatice.
- Books and articles are donated by the Musem and local Library.
- It is expected that about five local institutions will release historical images for the articles edited.
- We will use our own electrical cables and other smaller equipment.
- Some of the participants have knowledge from previous Edit-a-thons, where they were as participants or organisers.
- Juandev, who is in charge of the organisation has skill of building working teams proved recently by the organisation of another edit-a-thon (7 people, 15 articles) and Wikiexpedition (10 participants, 4 teams, 9100 new photographs, 990 articles illustrated)
- Elektracentrum, who is in charge of negotiation with local partners, has skill in outreach to schools, culture institutions or other parties proved by the project Modern Teacher of the 21st Century (40 elementary and high schools involeved). In cooperation with First Faculty of Medicine of Charles University he runs the project, which take back the disabled people to work. The major component of the work of these people is Wikipedia editing and contributing to Wikimedia Commons (example of work).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- The budget is counted for 10 participants arriving from other places. The finacial support may get poeple who will attend at least one whole day (two days) on the Edit-a-thon and has no rests from other wiki events covered from funds.
- If fewer participants are interested, lower amount of the budget will be spent and could be returned to the donor. Counted from the exchange course as it was on January 13, 2019, set to 1 USD = 22,3 CZK. The detailed budget available in Google Tabs.
- Transportation: 187 USD
- Participants will come by public transports or car (4,5 CZK per km as it is used by Wikimedia Czech Republic). Calculation of the transporation is based on the most probable scenario, from where the participants may come. Most participants will come from Prague. The price of transportation by car (four people on board) from and to this location is almost the same as by bus.
- Acommodation: 410 USD
- We have determined some standards for the accomodation of participants, which are broadly applied on the wiki events organised in the Czech Republic. The accomodation must be: a lockable room with ceiling, normal beds, provided temperature comfort (heating from fall to spring) and a toilet with shower; wifi connection is a plus. The price may be lower, but from our knowledge the cheapest accomodation does not meet our standards of quality. Thus we seek for B&B's or cheaper hotels. To meet our quality and price we need to consult information on the websites combining it with reviews on e.g. Google Maps. The facility must have at least 8 reviews with text.
- Alimentation: 345 USD
- Alimentation for this event consists of breakfast at the accomodation site and lunch. Lunch consists of one hot meal and a drink. Participants are let to choose whatever they want, if they exceed the price set for their lunch, they have to pay the rest by themselves.
- Other: 90 USD
- This item covers costs of printing, international bank transfer fees, and other.
- Total: 1036 USD
- Transportation: 187 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Přínos pro poznávání památkového fondu. Jsem pracovník Národního památkového ústavu a považuji tuto akci za velmi důležitou. Díky za pochopení. Jan Sommer MONUDET (talk) 23:57, 14 January 2019 (UTC)
- I think, Juan makes and made everywhere good thinks. ::) 18.104.22.168 00:26, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- Juan is already long at Wikipedie, he made everywhere things it and it goes evemn better with the time Nolanus (talk) 00:30, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- protože tak získáme ucelený a přehledný pohled na památkový fond Prachatic -myslím, že témata Juan dobře naplánoval a pracovní tým je schopný Art Jarka (talk) 19:32, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- First of all, the event looks well prepared (see all its subpages with lots of work by the local coordinator Elektracentrum as well). Moreover, the venue is a Renaissance house on the main square now serving as the local museum, which will provide lots of resources to use. Looking forward to taking part --Czeva (talk) 07:06, 16 January 2019 (UTC)
- Because Czech Wikipedia needs more articles about Czech villages. I'll also appreciate more photos added to wikipedia from small villages. Czech people would like to know more about place where they actually live and Wikipedia can offer them that but it has to be improved. So many details are missing here. Ivory999 (talk) 20:19, 16 January 2019 (UTC)
- I think it bring lot of interesting articles Al.trcka (talk) 21:31, 16 January 2019 (UTC)
- The project seems to be well prepared and I like this style of GLAM event opened to newcomers. --19:45, 19 January 2019 (UTC), Utar (talk)