Grants:Project/Rapid/Kaizenify/1Lib1Ref 2020 in Nigeria/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We are very happy to report that we met our goals for this project. We had over 100 Librarians, both new and experienced, was able to improve citations to over 200 articles and over 60% new editors was recorded. We also created a working relationship with the various Libraries.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|2 events||2||We planned to have two different events, and we did.|
|100 participants||102 Participants came around||We had 44 participants at Nimbe Adedipe Library and 58 participants at Kenneth Dike Library|
|200 citations added||237 citations added||We had 160 citations added at Nimbe Adedipe Library due to the familiarity to Wikipedia by the librarians as a result of previous trainings but had only about 77 citations improved at Kenneth Dike Library because its our first time at the institution.|
Link to the program dashboard where the metrics of the campaign can be found:
Some of the pictures from the 1lib1ref 2020 in Nigeria:
Nimbe Adedipe Library, FUNAAB
Kenneth Dike library, UI
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well?
- Receiving the grant funding was early and time-prompt.
- We were able to create a working and thriving relationship with the head of each Library as we had to present them with #1lib1ref customized t-shirts to thanked them for their support.
- Gifting the participants with the highest number of citations added a throw pillow increased the morale of the librarians as they readily embraced it.
- We had at least 20 repeat participants as far as we could track who continued to edit online.
- University of Ibadan management were happy about the campaign and hence became an ice breaker for further working relationship.
What did not work so well?
- Quality internet at the Kenneth Dike Library became an issue as most of the participants could not add citations as they could have been.
- At the Kenneth Dike Library, there was a power cut at the institution during the time of the training and so could not enjoy stable electricity.
- At Kenneth Dike Library, participants are completely new to Wikipedia and so had to first create new account which wasted so much time and couldn't contribute as it could have been.
- Not all participants were able to sign in into the outrace dashboard.
- A change of the Institution from the university of Lagos(UNILAG) to University of Ibadan(UI) as UNILAG couldnt accommodate us again within the 1lib1ref time frame due to some impromptu activities within the school so we had to swap for another school and hence changed our plan for logistics.
What would you do differently next time?
- Always emphasize the need for quality internet couple with having a viable alternative.
- Make sure participants register a Wikipedia account before the training so that will not slow us down.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Participant packs (folder, Wrist bands, pen, wiki cheatsheet, stickers)||100||950||95,000||311.47||For the cost of the folder packs which served as a guide for participants and also as an aided their participation.|
|2||Customized shirts||5||3000||15000||49.18||Shirts was used by the facilitators and also presented to the head of each Library.|
|3||Local transport for facilitators traveling||2||30000||60,000||196.72||This covered the transportation cost of the two facilitators to Abeokuta and Ibadan.|
|4||Foods and drinks||105||2500||2625000||860.65||The participants are grateful for the meals after a long day of learning|
|5||Online digital banner and media coverage||1||43,000||43,000||140.98||the online digital banner was useful for publicity within the school and also for media|
|6||Customized 1libiref Pillow as gift||2||15,000||30,000||98.36||This gave it lot of color as it encourages thorough participation from the participants|
|7||Miscellany||-||-||9,320||30.55||Calls, bank charges, logistics, paper printout etc...|
Grant funds spent
A total of 514,815 Nigerian naira (1687.91 USD) was spent
Do you have any remaining grant funds? .Yes, a total of 31.84$ only was left
Propose to add it to my next grant
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- See our project page here: