Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Yes, we met our expectations regarding the original proposal. This has been a project that had started in 2011 with the assistance of other regional partners and allies, but at the time we still had to consider that Wikipedia in Kaqchikel (Wikiwuj was still largely unknown). The 4 workshops we did served to make known Wikipedia in Kaqchikel and how this platform serves to share knowledge in the native language of Kaqchikel. We had an average of 20 new editors at each of the four activities (1 editathon + 3 workshops), thus facilitating the creation of a community of young Kaqchikel speakers who are committing to the project. Of the new editors, there emerged a core group of 8 editors that showed a great deal of interest and have committed to continuing the project. In addition, we also meet our goal in terms of translation of the Media Wiki interface and the establishment of partners.
Agenda for the editatones
The editatontes started at 9 am to 4 pm with this programa:
Wellcome (Uskam Camey)
Presentation of participants (all)
- Introducction to editatone (Pakal Rodríguez)
- The importance of translation into indigenous languages (Hugo Chocoj)
- Read the text Patrón de Aprendizaje (all reading)
- Video how to edit in Wikipedia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPuvRsHnDqY
- Create your user account
- Show the Kaqchikel Wikiwuj cak
- Show how to edit
- Upload any article
- Lists of articles recomended https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lista_de_art%C3%ADculos_que_toda_Wikipedia_deber%C3%ADa_tener
Those editatones were:
Workshop 1, July 7, 2018
Celebrated in ASECSA, Chimaltenango. In this editaton participated 13 people, eleven men a two women. During the editaton they created new users in Wikipedia, although only could open 6 because the others, ther server didn't allow it.
Editaton, 22 de julio 2018
This editaton was held Sunday, July 22, 2018 within the framework of the "National Meeting of digital activists of Indigenous Languages" held in the Cultural Center of Spain in Guatemala, historic centre of the city. There were 29 people editing articles in Wikipedia.
Given that this was an editaton on a national basis, it required some logistics to coordinate the participants. In this way, was assigned to Rodrigo Pérez, Zapotec 3.0 the role of coordinator of the editaton, with two stations. On one hand the station of kaqchikel speakers which was coordinated by Hugo Chocoj, who were responsible for generating articles, review, correct and leave them ready to upload them. They also supported with the translation of some words for the interface. On the other hand was the station of editing in Wikipedia that was coordinated by March on behalf of cyberfeminists (WikiFemHack), with the collaboration of Linda Gare. These two teams operated in a coordinated manner and the result was that it was achieved the goal of having 60 articles in Kaqchikel https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/cak in the editaton are also participants of the linguistic community Kiche' who published articles on his page https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/quc/
Workshop 2, 25 de agosto 2018
This editaton was held on Saturday August 25 in ASECSA, Chimaltenango, with the aim of following up on the earlier workshops and to strengthen the work done during the editaton of July 22. The call was made to all those who participated during the previous editatones, thus having a participation of 20 people. In this occasion were published articles in Kaqchikel cak and Kiche' because there were participants coming from two different linguistic regions.
At the end it was decided to create a group of communication on WhatsApp to be informed, send alerts, consult doubts or publish news related to the editatones.
Workshop 3, 29 de septiembre 2018
The editaton of September took place in the Digital Community Center of the municipality of Patzún, an indigenous village of Guatemala who made a strong commitment to the use of information and communication technologies. The Center has 35 computers and Internet access. 15 activists of several municipalities of Chimaltenango, Sololá and El Quiche participated in this editaton.
During the editaton encouraged activists to review some articles that still have little content, correct grammatical errors and add images and internal and external links. At the end we had a meeting where we reported that workshops supported by the Wikimedia Foundation funds ended, but that we would continue doing workshops looking for other sources of funding. Also we encourage activists to continue editing from their homes at least twice per week to achieve that more articles to gradually climb in Wikipedia.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|20 people participating actively as mentors or new editors||We had an average of 20 participanots on the 4 workshops, increasing every day with new editors.||Due to other work and academic commitments, not every participant was able to attend all of four of the workshops. However, as was an original goal of the project, we were able to attract a core group of participants that attended at least 3 of the 4 events. They are:
We celebrated editatones on saturdays, so many participants study at the University, that's why participants hasn't be the same every editaton. Although there is a group of 8-10 participants that has maintained actives.
|60 articles in Kaqchikel uploaded to the Kaqchikel Wikiwuj incubator||Currently we have added 106 new articles to the incubator.||Some articles have to be reviewed because they have been created in the workshops but need to be improved|
|25% progress in translating the Wikipedia interface into Kaqchikel||At the time of the writing of this report, the project has reached 34% of the interface translated||Two members of this project took initiative to lead the translation process. We were able to activate the Kaqchikel language (cak) on the Translate Wiki following the instructions of a blog post by Amir Aharoni.
|10 partnerships established with institutions||We have achieved the commitment of 10 institutions that will continue to support this project and other similar||In Guatemala there are institutions interested in this type of projects because they consider that it is a good way to keep the those indigenous languages alive (20 Languages)|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well?
- Many people didn't know the possibility of editing articles in their language in Wikipedia, they liked it very much and has also shared with other speakers, so that every day new editors are interested in collaborating. Participation in the workshops has led to a small community of publishers interested in continuing to support the Project. For the communication and monitoring of the project has been created a group in WhatsApp and also a Facebook page from where queries are consulted or reports on the progress.
What did not work so well?
- Kaqchikel speakers come from different villages across Guatemala, so in order to participate in the workshops they needed to travel. This was not always easy and sustainable due to the distances and costs associated. Saturdays have also been days where many young people study or work, so their participation was irregular. Internet access was also. You also have to consider that some people find it very difficult to edit in Wikipedia, so in all workshops we have to repeat the instructions on how to edit. Some places where the workshops were held did not have a good Internet, so it has not been able to work Well. finally, the planning of the workshops has not given time to request that the access to editing be released through an IP, so in some cases it could not be edited or opened new user accounts.
What would you do differently next time?
- In all the workshops it takes a long time to teach new publishers to enter Wikipedia. We should have updated tutorial videos that are sent to the new participants so they can get to know what Wikipedia is, why the importance of editing in indigenous languages and some indications of how to start editing. It is necessary to select the place where the workshops are made and be sure to have there computers for everyone, because sometimes they have to share computer and this takes time. On the other hand, we have to find an efficient and fast way to alert and allow you to edit or create new users from an IP, because this has always caused some problems and removes time.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Split by event:
|Workshop 1||July 7||US$ 161|
|Workshop 2||August 25||US$ 259|
|Workshop 3||September 29||US$ 120|
Split by item:
|Food and room events||68 participants||Lunch time and midtime, in two times we rented a room with internet access||US$ 801|
|Room scholarships||20 participants||For participants on the editatón July 22||US$ 480|
|Transportation||41 participants||For editaton and workshops, 5 US$ per participant||US$ 208|
|Promotion||For all events||Roll Up and 30 T-shirts for the editaton||US$ 143|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, we have a balance of of US$346 and we decided to return it to the Foundation Wikimedia to support another proyect.
Throughout the project, we were able to establish alliances with various national and international organizations working in Guatemala. The following organizations have provided a commitment to the implementation of the project:
- Spanish Cultural Center in Guatemala - they provided the space and internet as an in-kind donation for the editathon that took place in Guatemala City in July 2019.
- Creative Commons Guatemala - provided logistical support during the events.
- Instituto Guatemalteco de Escuelas Radiofónicas IGER - they hosted some participants on their offices and promoted the editaton.
- Ciberfeministas WikiFemHack - they managed different stations during the editaton july 22 helping participants on editaton.
- Federación Guatemalteca de Escuelas Radiofónicas FGER - they promoted the different events and hosted some participants on their offices.
- Kaqchikel Winäq - were part of the organisers, promoters and collaborated with the media programm for the workshops and editaton.
- Academia de Lenguas Mayas - they promoted the event through other indigenous languages communities.
- Ministerio de Cultura y Deportes - also promoted the editaton and participated with volunteers.
- UNESCO Guatemala - promoted the editaton through social media and will organize in 2019 different events about indigenous languages in Guatemala..
- WK Akademie - provided in-kind donation for the celebration of the editaton.
- Rising Voices/Global Voices - provided logistical support during the events.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
In the accomplishment of the Editaton of July 22 we had the support of a group of cyberfeminists or Wikifemhack, who helped the publishers to better understand how to edit in Wikipedia. I think it is important to have the support of other publishers of Wikipedia of Guatemala that can not only know this project better but to help to create a community of publishers in Guatemala which currently does not exist. In our case we contacted all the wikipedians, but we had only the answer of 4 people. I believe that other actions should be taken to involve more people in this type of project. Something that we have seen with these workshops is that it's necessary to work in person to rely on doubts, create community and strengthen the Project. Working only online can be an initiative of some editors, but it is generally reinforced by working in person.
Kaqchikel Wikiwuj in the incubator https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/cak/Nab%27ey_wuj
Idioma kiche' in the incubator https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/quc
Articles published in Kaqchikel https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/cak
Wikipedians in Guatemala https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor%C3%ADa:Wikipedia:Wikipedistas_de_Guatemala
Wikipedia in indigenous languages study Wikipedia en Lenguas Indígenas