Grants:Project/Rapid/Launching of Wikimedia Fan Club, Ekiti State University
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
The Wikimedia Fan Club Ekiti State University, is a hub for undergraduate, postgraduate students and staff of Ekiti State University with the purpose of contributing to Wikimedia and her related projects. This club is based in the campus and run by the students with coordination from Wikimedia UG Nigeria (WUGN). The club promotes Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Yoruba Wikipedia, Commons) among the members through the execution of projects, meet-ups and regular edit-a-thons as a way of exposing the students to the movement.
The club will be hosting regular meetups for edit-a-thons, workshops, photo walks, and more that will cater to and lead to attraction of students and staff of the university. We aim to reach and generate interest in members of the university who may not utilize wikimedia projects and contribute to Wikimedia resources and also create a community of staff and students to support those who currently are involved with these projects.
The aim of this club is in raising young Wikimedians across the various academic disciplines as well as cultural diversities in the University community. It will help students know and contribute more to other Wikimedia projects.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- We intend to host a 2 day launch that will be open to all students and staff of the University to understand what Wikimedia is all about, why they need to contribute and how they can contribute. This event will also create an enabling environment for participants to become members of the Wikimedia community as they join Wikimedia community. On
Day 1: Creating awareness of the club around the campus by moving around the university campus, handing out fliers in common places and various departments and faculties as well as talking to people one on one in order to make Day 2's turnout massive
Day 2: The key program will be a plenary session that will centre on introduction to Wikimedia projects; after which a Question and Answer session will commence. A 'wikicake' will be cut to commemorate the birth of the club. It will also be a symbolic gesture of the immense wealth of free knowledge which Wikimedia shares freely to all of mankind.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- fliers and posters will be pasted in various popular spots within the campus. Digital flyers will also be added on the various social media platforms of the school which includes WhatsApp groups and Instagram pages. We will use Eventbrite as a means to publicize, handle manage the crowd and register participants ahead of the program. Each faculty of the school will be advocated to send 3 interested representatives each so as to expand our diversity of members/contributors across various disciplines.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- A WhatsApp group is already in place. New members will be added to this group for further interaction and information. Any challenge faces during editing will be addressed on the WhatsApp group so that experienced members can support. The club would be having edit-a-thons twice in a month, and this will be an enabling platform for collaboration on improving editing skills. The General Secretary, who keeps records which includes contacts from meet-ups would regularly give a call when subsequent meetings are to be held.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- User:Olaniyan Olushola Wiktroduction, an introduction to Wikimedia and her projects.
- User:T Cells, you are wiki, an introduction to why to contribute to wikimedia projects and how to contribute to these projects (with focus on the Yoruba Wikipedia).
- User:Danidamiobi, commons, a brief introduction to Commons and how to upload media files with a brief introduction to copyrights used in commons.
- I will be giving a talk on introduction to wikipedia guidelines and policies.
They will entertain questions and answers too. Random trivia questions and facts will be thrown to the audience within each speakers talks.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of total participants - target audience is 50
- Number of people who will help organize the event - 6
- Number of active editors involved - 5
|Item||Detail||Price NGN||Price USD||Comment|
|Refreshment||N1000 x 60 people||60000||196.42|
|Hall Rental||N40000 x 2 days||80000||262.29|
|Internet Broadband||20000||65.57||We need to buy an internet broadband. this is different from the subscription for data bundles|
|Internet subscription||20 Gigabytes||20000||65.57||For sessions requiring internet connection|
|Fliers and Posters||40000||131.15||To be pasted all around the campus|
|Roll up banner||x 1||N30000||98.36||To be mounted at the venue of the program: at the stage during the plenary talks and on the way out for student selfies that will publicize the club further|
|Display banners||N10000 x 2||20000||65.57||One of these banners will be tied permanently at the Students Union Secretariat for visibility to all. The second will be tied outside during meetups|
|Merchandise shirts||N2000 x 35 people||70000||229.51||For facilitators and founding members of the club|
|Camera rental||N10000 x 2 Days||20000||65.57||To cover the event's activities|
|Interstate travel||N20000 x 3 people||60000||196.72||For WUGN coordinators from Lagos to Ado-Ekiti|
|Hotel||N10000 x 3 people x 2 nights||60000||196.72||For WUGN coordinators who do not reside in Ado-Ekiti|
|Coordinators' feeding||N7500 x 3 people x 2 days||45000||147.54||For WUGN coordinators during their stay in Ado-Ekiti.|
|Cake||25000||81.97||Wiki Cake commemorate the birth of the new club|
|Contingency||30000||98.36||Phone calls, stationery, bank transfer charges and any little or unforeseen costs that may arise.|
|Generator rental & Fueling||20000||65.57||Generator is needed because of electricity challenges||Total||600,000||1,967.29|
- Since I was introduced to Wikimedia by SuperSwift, I've seen the power I have and though I'm still in the early stages, I believe this is a great initiative. This platform will lead to more/improved contents on wikipedia and other Wikimedia sites as more students will know more about wiki. Pat-Bassey Charles (talk) 09:21, 17 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support the creation/launching of WikiMedia Fan Club in my institution. Since it will be geared towards helping the youth in our institution as it is in other higher institutions that has a Fan Club. It will broaden our knowledge on the relevance of creating and editing information that will be of global importance to this generation and posterity. Barolove (talk) 08:43, 18 August 2018 (UTC)
- SuperSwift has introduced me to the world of wikipedia and Wikimedia. Though I've not really been active because of my project work, I believe that if other students are involved, it will lead to better knowledge about Nigeria and Ekiti State to the world. AyomideAlex (talk) 11:39, 18 August 2018 (UTC)
- * Support - I am positive that anything SuperSwift puts his mind into should turnout good. HandsomeBoy (talk) 12:17, 22 August 2018 (UTC)